Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

This is exactly what always happens.

I would agree w/ the precip hole the gfs and rgem are showing.  With this being a Miller B I believe the transfer is really going to kill our overall qpf.  I definitely don't trust the nam.

It's a bummer, but we know we always get miller b'd.  Maybe it will cut down on the freezing rain.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like all the models have the big slug of precip rolling right on up I-85 now, which is nice for us.  Probably heavy pingers after a good shot of snow.

Seems to match up decently with the 12z RGEM, as well.  The NAM was a little warmer, I think, but probably still a couple inches.

That's a good look for you guys.  RGEM is probably all snow for you through 3z.  That's going to be a nice event, 3-4" with 1" of sleet, get the sleds ready.

post-2311-0-54301600-1424102151_thumb.pn

I think there will be a precip "hole" but I don't think it will be that drastic...  I still think we get a decent amount of precip in the triangle..  and even so, .3 or .4 falling as IP or FZRA will cause big problems.

Yeah, I'm thinking between .4 and .5 total qpf for the RDU area.

There might be a precip hole, but it's location is far from being set in stone. That swath of 0.5-0.7 could easily shift southeast, especially with some of the latest model runs taking this storm a bit further south. 

Very true...I'm just going by previous Miller B's for this area.  The transfer seems to always cut our total qpf.  But to be honest, I don't remember a Miller B taking this track.  We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

That's a good look for you guys.  RGEM is probably all snow for you through 3z.  That's going to be a nice event, 3-4" with 1" of sleet, get the sleds ready.

One thing I have noticed is that the 850s have a very tight cutoff where it is way below 0C not far north of the line.  I guess that could promote better ratios, and with frigid surface temps, it should stick immediately.  Any thoughts on that, anyone?

At least here, this afternoon. However wins here are already east at about 10mph.

interesting to note that temps have dropped to 32 just northeast of birmingham when the nam says they should have warmed to 40 or 41 by now. In fact dewpoints are such they could drop another degree or two.  Going to be real interesting to see how temps..especially since precip is well ahead of where the nam says it will be and maybe even the gfs.

Incredible differences between the gfs and nam over north ga btw. nam and gfs are 10 degrees apart on surface temps  in some areas, in particular between gainesville and atlanta/athens.

woke up this morning, looked out the window to see the dreaded sunshine the morning of a supposed storm. ha.

temp 33 dewpoint is 10.  am hopeful for something frozen today so this winter isnt a complete shut out.  maybe since i used to be (saying used to be since the cads for the last 8 or 9 years havent been that great for mby) in a good cad area this time it will work out

Very true...I'm just going by previous Miller B's for this area.  The transfer seems to always cut our total qpf.  But to be honest, I don't remember a Miller B taking this track.  We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Fair enough. It'd be nice to not have so many possible limiting factors for once. At least the temperature trends have mostly been in our favor so far today.

Yeah, I'm thinking between .4 and .5 total qpf for the RDU area.

I agree, that's about right.  What the RGEM is showing.  If we can squeeze out an inch of snow and an inch of sleet, that's probably going to be our best potential, with the low bar of 0.5" of snow and 1" of sleet.  I don't buy the freezing rain with temps in the low 20's per RGEM/GFS.  The NAM is 4-5F warmer with temps between 26-28F for the duration, still it's spitting out IP as the primary precip.  If the NAM's precip is right it would be 3" of sleet, but with it's bias, cut in half and you have 1.5" of sleet.

The new GFS has done pretty well with QPF right? I know it was miles better with the Boston blizzard a couple weeks ago where it showed NY City getting very little, while the Euro and Nam showed lots of snow there.

This Miller B precip min is why I was worried last night. Now the models seem to be reflecting that concern.

One thing I have noticed is that the 850s have a very tight cutoff where it is way below 0C not far north of the line.  I guess that could promote better ratios, and with frigid surface temps, it should stick immediately.  Any thoughts on that, anyone?

Good question, I don't know, I think you would need colder 850's, but initial snow until 0z you be solid but after that it may drop.

The new GFS has done pretty well with QPF right? I know it was miles better with the Boston blizzard a couple weeks ago where it showed NY City getting very little, while the Euro and Nam showed lots of snow there.

This Miller B precip min is why I was worried last night. Now the models seem to be reflecting that concern.

There may very well be a minimum; but I don't think the models will know exactly where that will occur. In years past it seems that hole has been just west of Raleigh towards Durham. But every storm is different and we'll just have to wait.   

You can see the HRR by the end of it's run with a  shadow of precip in central NC. By 05z we have  accumulated .1-2" of precip, so another .2-3" of precip after this would be expected as the back edge is in western NC and is hauling.

post-2311-0-59353100-1424103364_thumb.pn

Sorry Widre didn't mean to focus on Durham but was particularly thinking of the Christmas storm from a couple of years back.

I was talking about the one from the map on the last page.

We do often have a min here, but that's with the coastals. With this storm, more precip west than east, so I'm less concerned for Durham.

Hey southeast crew... I've updated my HRRR page so that it covers the snow/ice event in the southeast.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

KGSO.gif

I also have HRRR soundings for select locations. I am willing to add more locations so let me know! Good luck with the even everyone!

KGSO

KAVL

Could you post those soundings for southeast Va/Ne NC as well. Really appreciate it.

I added a few more HRRR soundings that should update hourly:

KCLT

KRDU

KGSP

FYI products update around :20 after the hour for the map plots, and :40 after the hour for the soundings. Let me know if you have any questions. The HRRR does look a bit on the warm side of CLT :(

Thanks for adding the HRRR GSO floater too. Really nice.

Archived