joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me but I feel that the orientation of the heaviest qpf in TN is more W to E versus SW to NE meaning higher qpf trending south of previous runs. If you were to take the same path and orientation then border counties are near the highest totals from this storm. Anyone else pick up on this?

yeah I have.

RAP ptypes out to hr 18 are closer to the gfs than the nam, with precip starting as snow in western nc and clt. where nam had a mix at the onset.

I don't see any precip in CLT at 18...but I'm on the 3z RAP run. I also don't see how any would actually be falling with such dry air at the range the RAP would see in the next couple of hours since QPF is so light. The problem with 18 hours on the RAP is it's 18 hours on the RAP hehe. It'll be interesting to see what it say at around 8am tomorrow morning. 

RAP ptypes out to hr 18 are closer to the gfs than the nam, with precip starting as snow in western nc and clt. where nam had a mix at the onset.

I don't get that, I always thought the NAM was good with temps. I also read where someone posted the new Op GFS is verifying to warm in the short term with temps, and RGEM isn't exactly a cold model. But, the GFS/RGEM are much colder than the NAM. Usually you take the warmest model as that's the most conservative.

I don't see any precip in CLT at 18...but I'm on the 3z RAP run. I also don't see how any would actually be falling with such dry air at the range the RAP would see in the next couple of hours since QPF is so light. The problem with 18 hours on the RAP is it's 18 hours on the RAP hehe. It'll be interesting to see what it say at around 8am tomorrow morning. 

what im looking at, you're probably right it isnt hitting the ground though.  and yea my clt geography was a little off on second look lol

ruc18hr_sfc_ptyp.gif

that puts out almost 2inches QPF for hickory.... looks like it snows a good 7 to 10 hrs here.

I know, but James is aware of how those of us living in the shadow of the Apps are very sensitive to relative minima.

I don't see it? Looks like .75-1.00qpf in the lee, right?  I am colorblind hard for me to tell... lol

Yes, but that's still a relative minimum.  Relative to the totals around it.

I know, but James is aware of how those of us living in the shadow of the Apps are very sensitive to relative minima.

Hey, man, I wasn't trying to rub salt in wounds or anything.  Just an observation. Plenty wet for us all.  :)

Looks like the 00z NAVGEM is sticking to its guns.  We'll see if it goes down in flames, though it's not that far off of the GFS, really.

Yes, but that's still a relative minimum.  Relative to the totals around it.

Ok, gotcha I thought it still looked like a lot of precip! But we still don't know if it will be right?

Well, it's just a still frame from WLTX. Not quite sure what model it is and if it had ZR before or after of course. It's just an image showcasing that during heavy precip, it is rain at that time.

we can only hope but I doubt it. Thanks for posting but I think the lp goes just a little more south and it gets ugly.

I asked what model and it was from the in-house RPM model.  So, if someone else has access to more of that data; I'm sure many would like to see what the rest of the run looked like.

I'm pretty sure the RPM is just the WRF-ARW or NMM, I think ARW though. The 00z is updating now on WxBell.

This is my forecast for CLT:

Quick bust of snow, might be enough to coat the ground until saturation occurs. 

Sleet line rapidly moves north from SC and transitions to sleet accumulating about .1-.2"

Low moves to the Carolina's and and sleet transitions to freezing rain accumulating .25-.75+" 

IF <.50": ice accumulates isolated power interruptions. Outage length: a few hours

IF .50-.75": Ice accumulates scattered power interruptions   Outage length: 12-24 hours.

Hey, man, I wasn't trying to rub salt in wounds or anything.  Just an observation. Plenty wet for us all.  :)

Looks like the 00z NAVGEM is sticking to its guns.  We'll see if it goes down in flames, though it's not that far off of the GFS, really.

No worries here.  I thought it was a friendly jab.  It made me laugh actually.  In a jaded way, of course.

Ok, gotcha I thought it still looked like a lot of precip! But we still don't know if it will be right?

Of course not.  We never know if anything is right until it happens.  But, I like our chances.  Best one all winter so far.

How about some current surface wet-bulbs:

lMHukT6.png

And, some current temperatures where a troubling nose of warm air is intruding through central GA to the upstate of SC:

z5GrKoC.png

If the Euro and the UKMET follow the GEM, I'll listen. Otherwise, it's probably an outlier. That would probably also explain why the RGEM is south as well.

The UKMET looks like it is south and weaker, as well.

Compare:

00z: http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_030_0000.gif

12z: http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_042_0000.gif

EDIT: Might just be transferring earlier.  Not sure.

Archived