joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AKQ seems not not think we taint as much and goes 4-6. It looks like most of the "pros" want to go further south than most guidance. This is sure going to be an interesting one for a good bunch of us as QPF is no concern and we just need to hold off tainting for as long as possible rather than playing a waiting game for the cold to arrive.

I just don't see things going that far north just a few days after the models had everything going further and further south. Then they turn around and have the other extreme and goes further and further north. Who can believe them when they have been so bipolar with this storm? I still think it will be more snow here and switching back and forth with snow and sleet. 3 inches of snow with some sleet on top is what I think at the minimum.

I just don't see things going that far north just a few days after the models had everything going further an further south. Then they turn around and have the other extreme and goes further and further north. Who can believe them when they have been so bipolar with this storm? I still think it will be more snow here and switching back and forth with snow and sleet. 3 inches of snow with some sleet on top is what I think at b the minimum.

hard to go against all guidance though.  models will naturally change the closer we get to the event.  i sure hope you're right, but with the latest trends today i doubt rdu even sees a trace of snow.

Some actual PM highs vs. 12Z GFS progs:

AHN 48 vs 49
ATL ~41 vs. 43
GVL 42 vs. 45
PDK ~39 vs. 42
RGA ~34 vs. 36
MGE ~38vs. 40

So, these N GA highs came in on average 2 degrees colder than the 12Z GFS per Meteostar fwiw.

Regarding IP, I'd say it averages somewhere around 4:1 based on past major ATL IP's. So, 1" of liquid was equivalent to ~4" of IP but with a range.                            

Keep in mind that is 0.55 accumulation of sleet not qpf towards sleet. Total QPF at RDU of 1.12

That doesn't make sense. 0.55 + 0.88 is 1.12, which matches your QPF number, but you say the 0.55 is actual accumulated sleet and not liquid equivalent. How can that work? Either we're getting a 1:1 ratio (unlikely) or you misspoke.

That doesn't make sense. 0.55 + 0.88 is 1.12, which matches your QPF number, but you say the 0.55 is actual accumulated sleet and not liquid equivalent. How can that work? Either we're getting a 1:1 ratio (unlikely) or you misspoke.

Check your math. .55+.88 = 1.43. My guess is he used somewhere around a 3:1 ratio, so .55 inches of sleet = .18 inches qpf. That would give 1.06 inches.

RAP keeps ticking south...took a descent jump with it's latest run WRT to our energy out west. 

18z NAVGEM still looking good with the 850 temps keeping south of 85.  Still curious if we're going to see a last minute subtle shift south here.  Maybe simply be wishful thinking, however. :D

18z NAVGEM still looking good with the 850 temps keeping south of 85.  Still curious if we're going to see a last minute subtle shift south here.  Maybe simply be wishful thinking, however. :D

I don't think it's wishful thinking.  Over the years we've seen last minute shifts.  I just hope last nights shift north was it...LOL!

Archived