joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold rain I can't quote your post over the phone. I've seen it sleet with temps 18-19 on 2 seperate ovcasions. Once in the 90s here in asheboro and the biggest one was in Rocky Mount mid 80s. Actually had thunder with it. So as crazy as it sounds it does happen. Seen it freezing rain a inch of qpf with a temp of 21 in Dec 2002.

I've seen nothing but pure freezing rain @ 18 degrees...  BTW- latest Plumes are down to 3 inches here

BF, for mby it's a 3 to 4 inches slab of frozen concrete on the way. Just hoping I can eek out 2, 3 if I'm lucky inches of front end, before the sleet fest gets going. I'll be content with record cold to make it last and another shot this weekend. Certainly beats the shutout. You should get over half foot easy with snow and sleet on top.

Just want to point out, we are less than 24 hours from onset and, for the U.S. 74 corridor from F. City to CLT, the NAM insists on a crippling ice storm with barely a puff of snow/sleet at the start while the GFS is equally insistent on a 4-6 inch snow changing to sleet and perhaps ZR at the end. #crazy

BF, for mby it's a 3 to 4 inches slab of frozen concrete on the way. Just hoping I can eek out 2, 3 if I'm lucky inches of front end, before the sleet fest gets going. I'll be content with record cold to make it last and another shot this weekend. Certainly beats the shutout. You should get over half foot easy with snow and sleet on top.

The NAM hammers us with precip. It's really close at 850, but looks like mostly sleet after the onset, verbatim.

does anyone the ice storm warning criteria for the GSP catchment area?

Warnings

WFO GSP will issue winter weather Warnings when there is an 80% or greater chance of a hazardous winter weather event meeting or exceeding local Warning criteria

WFO GSP will use CAEWSWGSP to issue the following types of Warning products:

Blizzard Warning - Sustained wind or frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph accompanied by falling and/or blowing snow, frequently reducing visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three hours or more.

Ice Storm Warning - Ice accumulation of 1/4 inch or more.

Winter Storm Warning - Heavy winter weather event producing either:

a. Heavy snow accumulating 3 inches across the foothills and piedmont and 4 inches across the NC mountains in a 12-hour period, or 4 inches across the foothills and piedmont or 5 inches across the NC mountains in a 24-hour period.  Warnings are based on the average value (rounded up to the nearest inch) of the forecast snowfall range.

b. Heavy sleet accumulating ½ inch or more.

c. A heavy mixed precipitation event in which snow, sleet, and/or ice reach Warning criteria, or an event containing both winter weather and wind hazards in which weather or wind Warning criteria are met.

Wind Chill Warning - Wind chill temperatures reaching or exceeding minus 20 in the mountains, or minus 15 outside of the mountains.

WFO GSP can also issue Winter Warning products for events where objective Warning criteria are not met if a significant public impact is expected, e.g. early season or holiday travel snow or ice storms. Winter Weather Warnings must be updated at least once every 6 to 8 hours until the event ends, or the Warning is cancelled.

Wonder if NWS raleigh issues a watch or advisory? I know a lot of folks are hearing "little snow" and not taking it seriously

We're already under a Watch out here. I think they'll put you RDU guys under one in their afternoon update.

Man, the NAM is over 1" QPF here on the 18z run. Hell of a storm. Probably 4"+ of snow/sleet (mostly sleet) with that much QPF. Pingermageddon.

Wonder if NWS raleigh issues a watch or advisory? I know a lot of folks are hearing "little snow" and not taking it seriously

They'll issue watches, if anything, and change them to warnings or advisories.

Also, I have to throw out the obligatory, take the NAM QPF output with a big grain, unless you love disappointment.

Archived