joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not actually moving north. It's a little weaker, a little further south and east and a little colder than 00z.

Thanks Widre and Brandon. The map posted above looked north of the 0z to me and fit with the commentary of way north and west. I'll take your word for it. I can't see the 0z right now. Sounds like a big hit.

Looks like rain at ahn per gfs/nam decoded data. Might be a front end burst of sleet. Just NE of there is probably where the transition will start. For instance GSP appears to be all ip/zr w/ close to an inch of qpf. This will be a very nasty icestorm where the precip is predominately zr.

Thanks. I'm in that region. Typically we get hit by the cad. Obviously this one has a mind of its own.

WPC Discussion: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

PAIR OF SHORTWAVES DIGGING DOWN THROUGH THE WESTERN U.S. TODAY/MON

BAJA ENERGY SHEARING OUT TO THE EAST ACROSS THE GULF COAST TUE A.M.
SURFACE LOW ACROSS THE GULF COAST STATES ON MON
SURFACE LOW TRACKING OFF THE NORTHEAST COAST ON TUE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z UKMET AND 00Z ECMWF
CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

AFTER SEVERAL ENSEMBLE CYCLES OF A WEAKENING TREND TOWARD THE
FLATTER ENSEMBLE CONSENSUS...A MARKED SHIFT IN THE 00Z/15 ENSEMBLE
PACKAGE HAS SHIFTED BACK TO THE PREVIOUS EDGE OF THE ENSEMBLE
SPREAD REGARDING A SHORTWAVE NEAR THE FOUR CORNERS REGION. THE
CURRENT ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS SHOW SIMILAR SPREAD TO
YESTERDAY...BUT THEY ARE JUST DISPLACED TOWARD THE MORE AMPLIFIED
SIDE OF THE CURRENT MODEL SPREAD.

LOOKING AT THE 500 MB SHORTWAVE FORECAST TO BE TRACK FROM THE FOUR
CORNERS TO THE TX/OK PANHANDLES TONIGHT...THE 12Z NAM/GFS ARE A
BIT FLATTER THAN EVEN SHORT TERM FORECASTS FROM THE 00Z
NMM/ARW...13Z HRRR...14Z RAP. HOWEVER...THESE SHORT TERM MODELS
SUPPORT A 00Z ECMWF/UKMET BLEND THROUGH THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY 1
PERIOD. **ALL** OF THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED SHARPER
WITH THIS FEATURE SINCE YESTERDAY...AND MAY STILL BE TRYING TO
CATCH UP TO CURRENT OBSERVATIONS.

DUE TO THE CHANGES SEEN AND TRENDS...WE WILL BE LEANING TOWARD THE
MORE AMPLIFIED CAMP...BEST SUPPORTED BY THE 00Z
ECMWF/UKMET...WHICH IS AGREED UPON BY THE 00Z ECMWF MEAN.
CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW GIVEN THE INSTABILITY IN THE MODELS AND
SIGNIFICANT RUN TO RUN CHANGES.

Can any of the models really be trusted even in this short a time period?? Perfect example last night no advisories or warnings in our area for high winds just started watching chris justus on wyff at 6:15 and he showed the model wind forecast for our area with the clemson area maxing out at 25mph gusts and then diminishing after 9pm. All the wind warnings were above us in the mountains  I live about 15 miles north of clemson and no sooner did he show that graphic and our power was knocked out. The wind was horrible, I have lived in this area close to 40 years and have never seen a pro-longed wind event anything close to that.

We had wind gusts that were easily over 60mph for several hours that even had our house shaking. I went out for a short time period and you could hear trees falling and in the distance you I saw the flash of a couple of transformers exploding. Our power finally came back on at 6:30am this morning so, needless to say after last night ordeal I don't think any of these models can be trusted. GSP finally gave out the advisories and warnings for our area  around 9:30pm last night after the event was well underway for several hours.

This is all quite irrelevant as models can be better or worse at different things at different times and in different scenarios.

You should have also posted this in the banter thread.

Wow, the 12z NAVGEM looks great. Great trends today! :)

Great run for much of NC on the front-end. The Triad and foothills look like all snow to me.

Ah, yes.. follows the trend of tampering the WAA surge with the initial wave that moves up west of the Apps and getting the coastal transfer going faster so that big slug of precip that comes up over TN then moves east right over us as the "new" low center takes control.

Looking at the 850 frzg line it runs from CLT to RDU when the heaviest precip moves through.

Thanks Widre and Brandon. The map posted above looked north of the 0z to me and fit with the commentary of way north and west. I'll take your word for it. I can't see the 0z right now. Sounds like a big hit.

I don't remember the exact location on the 0z ukie but it looked north to me also.

Yeah, the UKMET is really far north. Looks to be an outlier at this point. Probably a bad ice storm for the CAD regions, though.

The lead wave 5h vort max is now tracking from Kentucky into West Virginia on the GFS and CMC and even north of that on the NAM.  That should take the core of the heaviest precip north as well.  Overall, I would go with a light frz rain event here in Charlotte

Keep in mind the ukmet is easliy the warmest model and is still mostly ip/zr for the duration (looks like it rises above freezing at the sfc around 12z tuesday). that said, i think it's off its rocker. The euro last night showed no hints of warming us up at the sfc until tues afternoon.. To me this looks solidly all frozen in the Triangle.

For those of us in the freezing rain zone currently (NE GA, Upstate SC, Parts of NC), here's a helpful graphic from KILM on ice accretion (based on their data, but we can extrapolate).  Looks like for us, the heavy precipitation rates may save a "catastrophic" ice storm, at least for now.

Image2.png

Unless I am reading that wrong, all it really shows is the temp trumps rate.

I'm sure some of you remember as I do the sleet storm sometime in the late 80s - about 4 inches of pure sleet as I recall. Better that than zr of course.

I think you are thinking of Feb 1987. Much of NC and upstate SC had sleet with that one. It started as rain here and went to sleet with temps dropping all the way to 24 here. Of course it would have been even colder north of I-40 in NC.

Archived