joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight up sleet fest on the NAM. Anyone know how to extrapolate sleet accumulations from QPF?

3:1 or something like that?

Text output still showing 29 or below at surface throughout. I dont know about you but living around here anything but liquid is fine with me so ill take it!!

Key Points:

• Models are coming into better agreement, and have trended faster with the onset, with
good agreement on precip reaching the western Piedmont by early afternoon on Monday
and being completely out of central North Carolina by Tuesday afternoon.
 It currently appears that the winter storm will be focus around Monday night.
• The onset of precip is expected to be all snow Monday afternoon.
• Heavier precip will arrive after 7 PM Monday, but warmer air just above the ground will
be surging northward toward our area at that time. As such:
 It appears that the northwest and northern Piedmont may see precip remain all
snow through early Tuesday.
 Areas from Stanly County to the Triangle to Rocky Mount may transition to sleet and
freezing rain after midnight.
 To the south across the Sandhills and southern Piedmont, newest data suggests
freezing rain will occur for a large part of the event.
• Precip will wind down during the day Tuesday.
• Given cold airmass and cold ground, road hazards may develop quickly. Even little
amounts of snow may make road conditions treacherous.
• A high-impact, cold event.

Text output still showing 29 or below at surface throughout. I dont know about you but living around here anything but liquid is fine with me so ill take it!!

No doubt. It's nice not to stress the rain snow line. It's insane how close we are to getting crushed. 

Verbatim per NAM .5" QPF on the southside through 42 with 850s holding maybe until hr 41. Then another .7" most likely sleet.

It's really going to be function on how long we can hold those 850s. Potentially 4-12".

Realistically though, we are probably looking at a general 2-4" on the southside with around an inch of sleet on top. 

EDIT: Just looked at the raw output for ORF

4.3" snow, .34 sleet, and .55 frz ra

I honestly am still at a loss for words for how much this has changed in last 24 hours.  I really am.  There might not be much snow south of I-40 on this at all.  Matter of fact, any warmer, the I-40 corridor is going to have to deal with some rain issues.  NC looks SAFE, for now, from just a rain storm, but looks very very icy with ZR and a poop load of Sleet.  GA/SC/AL....lets just hurry this crap up so we can kiss winter *or a lack there of* goodbye.  I really feel bad for the people who have to deal will all the negativity this will bring because of the changes.  

I honestly am still at a loss for words for how much this has changed in last 24 hours. I really am. There might not be much snow south of I-40 on this at all. Matter of fact, any warmer, the I-40 corridor is going to have to deal with some rain issues. NC looks SAFE, for now, from just a rain storm, but looks very very icy with ZR and a poop load of Sleet. GA/SC/AL....lets just hurry this crap up so we can kiss winter *or a lack there of* goodbye. I really feel bad for the people who have to deal will all the negativity this will bring because of the changes.

Chris, I cant ever remember an event quite like this

I honestly am still at a loss for words for how much this has changed in last 24 hours. I really am. There might not be much snow south of I-40 on this at all. Matter of fact, any warmer, the I-40 corridor is going to have to deal with some rain issues. NC looks SAFE, for now, from just a rain storm, but looks very very icy with ZR and a poop load of Sleet. GA/SC/AL....lets just hurry this crap up so we can kiss winter *or a lack there of* goodbye. I really feel bad for the people who have to deal will all the negativity this will bring because of the changes.

I don't think I would be under a WSW , if SC was out of the game!? Isohume and the gang, had last nights data from models , still pulled the trigger! Nam just gave me nearly .90 of QPF , as freezing rain

sleet is a self-limiting process anyway, correct?  Usually doesn't last too long before changing to FZRA.  

No, you can get hours and hours and hours of sleet.  It happened just here last March.  Sleet just requires that the near-surface BL be cold enough and deep enough.  Freezing rain occurs when the near-surface BL cold is more shallow and/or marginal.  This could easily be a storm where someone in NC pulls an epic pingerfest with 2-4" of accumulation given enough QPF, IMO.

Wow, the GFS is an early crushjob snowstorm for I-40 in NC.  It's actually colder than last run.  Snowing to beat the band from hr 36-39.

EDIT: Wow, more snow from 39-42.  This is going to be a phenomenal run for I-40 from HKY to GSO!  The mid-levels warm thereafter, but by then it's mostly over.  Perhaps we end it with a crusting of sleet on top.

The Model Center has 8" here.  Most, if not nearly all, of that is probably snow (pending soundings).

Wow, the GFS is an early crushjob snowstorm for I-40 in NC.  It's actually colder than last run.  Snowing to beat the band from hr 36-39.

EDIT: Wow, more snow from 39-42.  This is going to be a phenomenal run for I-40 from HKY to GSO!

Yeah, nearly all snow profile throughout the storm for I-40 north... A sleety mix gets involved in the latter half from there to I-85.. but much better.    It's getting a better handle on the CAD wedge that will be in place and the evolution of the low as the baja energy gets entrained.

Havent checked soundings too closely yet, but GFS looks to have beefed up QPF across NC and it looks a little more sleety than freezing rainy in the triangle.

looks like a good shot at snow as it move in from hr 30 or so to hr 39 where it looks to change to sleet.  hard to tell from my crappy maps though.

Archived