SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOOM on the GFS!  Stays snow for the I-85 corridor the entire storm. At least the 850's cooperate.  Pretty strong low at 1006 through GA.  WOW!  

The NAM is probably 2-5" of snow before going over to sleet, as well, so not bad there.

Yeah, nearly all snow profile throughout the storm for I-40 north... A sleety mix gets involved in the latter half from there to I-85.. but much better.    It's getting a better handle on the CAD wedge that will be in place and the evolution of the low as the baja energy gets entrained.

Yeah, very interesting/good trend there.

I don't think I would be under a WSW , if SC was out of the game!? Isohume and the gang, had last nights data from models , still pulled the trigger! Nam just gave me nearly .90 of QPF , as freezing rain

Getting super close in for GSP *especially E and NE of downtown Greenville* I could see a 1/4-1/2" of ZR  Maybe more.  Sorry, should have clarified.  The rest of the state maybe a little sleet/rain at the initial, then all RN

Just a quick question: when people refer to the I-85 corridor on this forum, how far west/east are you implying? I live about a mile on either side of 85 at both my parents' houses in Durham and Orange counties, so I don't know if I should get excited when people say "crush job for I-85!" I have a feeling that some posters think of the "I-85 corridor" as meaning the triad and not more central parts of the piedmont, so it would be helpful to clarify this.

Typically I see it used as a line between CLT and GSO.

No, you can get hours and hours and hours of sleet. It happened just here last March. Sleet just requires that the near-surface BL be cold enough and deep enough. Freezing rain occurs when the near-surface BL cold is more shallow and/or marginal. This could easily be a storm where someone in NC pulls an epic pingerfest with 2-4" of accumulation given enough QPF, IMO.

Yea man. I can recall a storm in Connecticut when I lived there. It was 17 and sleeting like a mofo for hours and hours. We ended up with an astonishing 6" of sleet. It really does suck to have all that qpf and get that because the snow would've piled up like crazy.

Here is the GFS-13km hi-res snow maps. Remember the 1 degree GFS which is the op GFS in the model center is lower resolution, this map accounts for the terrain/etc better.

I just can't see how there is that much snow.  Maybe I will be wrong, but it would have to hit early and very very hard for even 2-4" to fall up there.  The WAA with this will be no joke, as you know.

Getting super close in for GSP *especially E and NE of downtown Greenville* I could see a 1/4-1/2" of ZR Maybe more. Sorry, should have clarified. The rest of the state maybe a little sleet/rain at the initial, then all RN

I think all the counties in the upstate of SC above the 85 corridor could be looking at the least 1/4" of Ice, probably more like .5"

GFS is a bit colder than the NAM.  Still has a NASTY ice storm from LIT-MEM-BNA.  North MS and HSV starts as some ZR/IP then QUICKLY goes over to Rain.  NE GA* like NE NE GA to The upstate get lit up with ICE.  It changes over to Rain in NE GA, but stays all ZR in the upstate.  That would be a VERY bad ICE Storm.  NC starts as some snow, could be a 1-3" type of snow, then quickly over to IP and or ZR.

Archived