• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

Precip maps are out now for the RGEM on meteocentre.. the low definitely trended a little weaker and every so slightly south/east of it's 12z position.

Precip also gets in about an hour or so faster on this run compared to the last one and the precip amounts are slightly less than the 12z run. It's actually sped the system up so much that all of the precip has moved out of the western upstate by midnight.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precip maps are out now for the RGEM on meteocentre.. the low definitely trended a little weaker and every so slightly south/east of it's 12z position.

Precip also gets in about an hour or so faster on this run compared to the last one and the precip amounts are slightly less than the 12z run. It's actually sped the system up so much that all of the precip has moved out of the western upstate by midnight.

GSP said the precip would end by Monday night so the RGEM is following their guidance there.

FYI the RGEM pytpes this winter in the NE have been on occassion 20-40 miles too warm on most events so you may want to shift them south a bit.  RGEM suggesting BNA and RDU see hardly any snow now, almost entirely PL or FZRA...this one is done for ATL, even using a margin of error I don't see them getting anything frozen...I'm not sure HSV or CHA even see much.

The 18z GFS is a little faster, it appears.

Looks like maybe 2-4" then over to sleet here in the Triad.  It really hammers from hr 33-36 with close to a half-inch of QPF during that three-hour period, though it appears that 850s are gradually transitioning above freezing in that period.  Still, that could be significant sleet...

Largely the same as the 12z run, though.  We're really nitpicking.

Have we ever seen a southern storm track follow a northern storm with as much energy as Neptune? Obviously, it's helped draw down a very cold/dry air mass. Can't remember a situation like this, and am wondering if this year's trending could result in another storm riding north, OR if all that energy will cause a more suppressed solution.

A few very well-respected mets were most concerned about suppression once the storm seemed fairly certain. Obviously, the model guidance no longer lines up with that, but I don't think much has changed, other than the track of the low, since then. I guess the HP is a bit weaker/more retreated. The uncertainty here is just amazing to me.

models seem to be converging now for sure, i;m hoping for at least SOME snow here in rdu (but that even seems to be in jeopardy now).  but it looks like sig sleet/frz rain for sure.

here is the 18z nam we discussed earlier in regards to frz rain vs sleet:

prec.png

That would actually be a great storm. You always want snow over anything else but that amount would be close to 3" of sleet. Great sledding and it would take a long time to melt. The roads would be a mess.

That would actually be a great storm. You always want snow over anything else but that amount would be close to 3" of sleet. Great sledding and it would take a long time to melt. The roads would be a mess.

The chunk of sleet followed by a glaze of ZR is amazing for sledding and it looks that way for Wake Co. I'm just mad I moved somewhere without any close hills.

Archived