joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I have to throw out the obligatory, take the NAM QPF output with a big grain, unless you love disappointment.

Agree CR. I really like the Euro suite with QPF. It is usually more conservative, which is usually a better play. I don't buy the notion of favoring the short term models over it at any time range

I'm fairly confident that areas north of 85/ne of gainesville will get hit pretty good. Especially, the prime elevation of 1500 as is typical. Here though it's razor thin close. gfs says I should as it gets me below freezing before warming back up. If the surface low comes as far north as the nam/gfs it will probably change to rain here after just a few hours as that far north of a low track will cause warming even at 950mb which is the death nail for freezing surface temps. Overall i'm not expecting much unless the models back off on such a far north track which seems unlikely at this point

the 18z nam is clearly rain here but it's precip fields  seems pretty wacky and seems too slow. Places like atlanta, over toward athens and south seem out of luck for sure at this point though.

I really am surprised at how every model is taking the low on a track that far north. Your research you posted on it was great and i sure don't recall ever seeing a surface low take that sort of track either after a wedge as been established. When I look at wind speeds in the boundary layer, they are late turning east/northeast  and aren't that strong (10 knots or less through 950mb) so maybe there isn't the usual amount of resistance and that is why the low can move that far north vs what we would expect to happen..which is it  being pushed further south around the wedge or it takes the northern alabama/ne tn route. Even if it's unusual and goes against what we would expect to happen  it's hard to ignore every single model showing it take this track though so maybe we see something new. That is the thing with cad/wedges..none of them are exactly alike and are always challenging in their own way. It's what makes them so fun

Lookout,

Thanks.

1) The 18Z NAM actually ticked south a hair (as much as ~25 miles in E GA) fwiw. That in itself is obviously pretty trivial. However, if it were to start ticking further south each six hourly run, I suppose it could add up. I mean 100 miles could make a big difference.

2) Did you see Allan's high resolution 12Z WRF hour 38 (for 9 PM tomorrow) showing widespread ZR from Athens back all of the way to Cartersville? What an outlier! What do you make of it? Is it possible that it is better handing the wedge? I'm surprised not more is being said about it.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-25-0-24750900-1424028442.gif

Just want to point out, we are less than 24 hours from onset and, for the U.S. 74 corridor from F. City to CLT, the NAM insists on a crippling ice storm with barely a puff of snow/sleet at the start while the GFS is equally insistent on a 4-6 inch snow changing to sleet and perhaps ZR at the end. #crazy

Yes, it is really interesting.  regardless of the model guidance, the system track hasn't happened yet; there are a lot of uncommon features interacting.  The focus is on the features that models attempt to handle such as layer temps, looking at the actual system there is a lot more going on. 

I am remembering the early Feb. 2012 system (just a small amount of sleet but lots of snow forecast)  and it was very small compared to this one and had a relatively direct path, coming onshore in California and moving to the east, with arctic air moving southeast providing some of the momentum shifts. 

This one is much stranger!

Agree CR. I really like the Euro suite with QPF. It is usually more conservative, which is usually a better play. I don't buy the notion of favoring the short term models over it at any time range

It's probably smart to go on the low end of QPF guidance and give a nod to the anomalous air mass in place for temps. That still yields a good winter storm for most.

GSP must be banking on lower QPF. Most of the I-85 area is below .4, per their most recent maps, and the WSW has the precip ending Monday night. Are any models showing this?

I felt GSP was very conservative with their forecast, and even their discussion mentions precipitation ending Monday evening in the west. I feel like this is too early. Even the most recent NAM has precipitation lasting through early Tuesday morning in western NC, so I feel like the precipitation will not end as quickly.

I feel like most areas will receive over .5 of an inch of precipitation from this event. We shall see.

Just from trial/error you kinda get a feel for how to use the models as they currently are. The NAM can usually do well w/ warm noses but tends to overdo qpf routinely. The GFS/EURO are prob better to use from a QPF standpoint. So for instance I guess a blend of GFS/EURO qpf would give about .7 for RDU and NAM precip type would be probably 60% zr and 40% IP as of now. So we're talking maybe an inch of snow/sleet followed by .3 to .4 glaze. Nothing crippling, but a very solid icestorm. It would take NAM type numbers to get up into the crippling icestorm criteria. 

Here's the RAH afternoon discussion. We should see the Warning show soon.

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 333 PM SUNDAY... WINTER STORM POTENTIAL INCREASING FOR LATE MONDAY THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY... MONDAY...ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE WILL EXTEND ACROSS THE REGION IN THE MORNING. MEANWHILE A /S W INT EH CENTRAL-SOUTHERN PLAINS WILL GENERATE A SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE LOWER MS VALLEY MONDAY MORNING. WLY FLOW ALOFT WILL ADVECT MID-HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS INTO OUR REGION MONDAY MORNING...THICKENING/LOWER BY EARLY AFTERNOON. THIS CLOUD TREND WILL HAMPER TEMP RECOVERY DURING THE DAY ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. AFTER MORNING LOWS IN THE 10-15 DEGREE RANGE ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA...AFTERNOON TEMPS WILL ONLY RECOVER INTO THE UPPER 20S/LOWER 30S ACROSS TEH NORTH AND LOW-MID 30S ACROSS THE SOUTH. AS THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM GETS CLOSER MONDAY AFTERNOON...LOW LEVEL FLOW ABOVE THE SURFACE WILL BACK TO A MORE SLY DIRECTION...ADVECTING MOISTURE OFF THE ATLANTIC AND GULF. SINCE COLD AIR CANNOT HOLD AS MUCH MOISTURE AS WARM AIR...AIR MASS WILL QUICKLY SATURATE WITH AREAS OF LIGHT PRECIPITATION BREAKING OUTR ACROSS THE WEST SHORTLY AFTER MID DAY AND MORE SO BY MID-LATE AFTERNOON. DUE TOT HE COLD DRY AIR MASS IN PLACE (SFC DEWPOINTS MONDAY AFTERNOON ONLY IN THE SINGLE DIGITS)...PRECIP SHOULD FALL IN THE FORM OF LIGHT SNOW. DUE TO TE COLD INITIAL CONDITIONS...SNOW SHOULD STICK TO ROAD SURFACES. MONDAY NIGHT...BULK OF PRECIPITATION WILL FALL DURING THIS TIME FRAME WITH MOST OF THE HEAVIER/MOST WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION FALLING BETWEEN 9 PM AND 5 AM. LOW LEVEL SLY WILL CONTINUE TO STRENGTH AS THE SFC LOW APPROACHES...INCREASING ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE/LIFT IN THIS PART OF THE ATMOSPHERE. ALOFT...CENTRAL NC WILL BE IN THE RIGHT ENTRANCE REGION OF A 150+ JET CROSSING/EXITING OFF THE NORTHERN MID ATLANTIC. THIS ADDED LIFT IN TANDEM WITH THE WAA AT 850MB IN THE LOWER LEVELS SUGGEST THE HIGH POTENTIAL FOR PRECIPITATION MONDAY NIGHT. DUE TO THERMAL PROFILES...EXPECT SWATHS OF WINTRY PRECIP ACROSS CENTRAL NC...BASICALLY VARYING NORTH TO SOUTH. ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT INTO FAR NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN (INCLUDING THE TRIAD REGION...ROXBORO...HENDERSON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...BULK OF PRECIP WILL FALL AS SNOW OR SNOW MIXED WITH SLEET. OVER THE FAR SOUTH INCLUDING WADESBORO...LAURINBURG...FAYETTEVILLE...CLINTON...PRECIP WILL START OUT AS SNOW/SLEET MIXED THEN QUICKLY TRANSITION TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...EVENTUALLY GOING TO ALL FREEZING RAIN OR RAIN. IN BETWEEN...OR ESSENTIALLY NEAR OR SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 64 INCLUDING ALBEMARLE...SANFORD...RALEIGH...ROCKY MOUNT/WILSON ....PRECIP WILL START OUT AS SNOW OR SNOW/SLEET MIXED THEN TRANSITION TO MOSTLY SLEET/FREEZING RAIN MIXED...AND POSSIBLY TO MAINLY FREEZING RAIN. AMOUNTS...EXPECT 2-4 INCHES OF SNOW MIXED WITH SLEET ACROSS BASICALLY THE NORTH HALF OF CENTRAL NC WITH AN INCH OR LESS OF SNOW ACROSS THE SOUTH. THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR ICE ACCRUAL OF AROUND A QUARTER OF AN INCH ACROSS SECTION OF THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT...SANDHILLS AND CENTRAL COASTAL PLAIN..BASICALLY SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 64/264...BUT NORTH OF A CLINTON...HOPE MILLS...WADESBORO LINE. IMPORTANT...THIS FORECAST BASED ON A SFC LOW TRACK FROM EASTERN GA...THROUGH NORTHERN SC/EXTREME SE NC TO OFF THE OUTER BANKS MONDAY EVENING-TUESDAY MORNING. IF THE SFC LOW WERE TO TRACK FARTHER NORTH...THE THREAT FOR SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCRUAL WILL SHIFT NORTH INTO THE TRIANGLE AREA AND POSSIBLY THE TRIAD. CONVERSELY...A TRACK FARTHER SOUTH WILL SPELL MORE SNOW THAN SLEET ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT LEADING TO HIGHER SNOW TOTALS...AND A SIGNIFICANT ICE EVENT FOR THE FAR SOUTHERN COUNTIES. BASED ON THE CURRENT TRACK AND EXPECTED AMOUNTS/HAZARD...WILL GO WITH A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MOST OR THE PIEDMONT COUNTIES...AND A WATCH FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE REGION. TUESDAY...BEST LIFT WILL LIFT AWAY FROM OUR REGION EARLY TUESDAY WITH DRIER AIR OVERSPREADING TEH REGION ALOFT FROM THE SW. SHOULD SEE PRECIP TAPER OFF SW-NE BETWEEN 5 AM AND 10AM. IN ITS WAKE EXPECT PARTIAL CLEARING TUESDAY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER S/W WILL APPROACH AND CROSS THE AREA TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS FEATURE APPEASR MOISTURE STARVED AT THE TIME BUT COULD SEE A FEW SNOW FLURRIES...MAINLY ACROSS THE NORTH.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

Hey superjames..

Compare 24 and 36hr increments and look at how much flatter the trough is in the plains... this is exactly the trend we need here..

It reflects the 500mb changes at 24hrs by putting the surface low 30 or 40 miles further south in Mississippi and increases the low pressure from 1006 to 1009mb.

Makes sense to me except that 12z GFS was considerably wetter than the 12z or 18z NAM. What's confounding is that the NAM usually picks up on CAD events best, but it is also the warmest at 2m, at least in CLT area.

Just from trial/error you kinda get a feel for how to use the models as they currently are. The NAM can usually do well w/ warm noses but tends to overdo qpf routinely. The GFS/EURO are prob better to use from a QPF standpoint. So for instance I guess a blend of GFS/EURO qpf would give about .7 for RDU and NAM precip type would be probably 60% zr and 40% IP as of now. So we're talking maybe an inch of snow/sleet followed by .3 to .4 glaze. Nothing crippling, but a very solid icestorm. It would take NAM type numbers to get up into the crippling icestorm criteria. 

Makes sense to me except that 12z GFS was considerably wetter than the 12z or 18z NAM. What's confounding is that the NAM usually picks up on CAD events best, but it is also the warmest at 2m, at least in CLT area.

No doubt this has been a strange event. I am guessing the discrepancies are due to the sharp nature of the cold front that came in last night. I haven't seen a front w/ this much dry air/wind in a long time. It's pretty unique in that sense. Plus the nature of the front and how it has not penetrated very far south into the deep south. That why there will probably be some really strange cutoff lines over the south side of the CAD tomorrow.

Agree totally with that. Will be fascinating to hold a post-mortem on this and see what factors won out. Would certainly seem that the 18z RGEM's slightly south/weaker low might play to the GFS hand of less of a nose. Or not. If I were in the GSP office, I'd do exactly what they did -- hedge best with all precip types and then try to be nimble late if a clear P-type trend emerges.

No doubt this has been a strange event. I am guessing the discrepancies are due to the sharp nature of the cold front that came in last night. I haven't seen a front w/ this much dry air/wind in a long time. It's pretty unique in that sense. Pleus the nature of the front and how it has not penetrated very far south into the deep south. That why there will probably be some really strange cutoff lines over the south side of the CAD tomorrow.

Hey superjames..

Compare 24 and 36hr increments and look at how much flatter the trough is in the plains... this is exactly the trend we need here..

It reflects the 500mb changes at 24hrs by putting the surface low 30 or 40 miles further south in Mississippi and increases the low pressure from 1006 to 1009mb.

That def. needs to be watched. I still don't see how the low is going to go as far north as every model is showing. I can see the warm nose coming as that always happens but how fast it drops in also seems a little suspicious to me as well. 

Hey superjames..

Note that the 18Z NAM was as much as 25 miles south of the 12Z NAM for the low's track. Interesting. Could a weaker low and further south track trend be starting? I also noted a slightly stronger NE high on the 18Z NAM vs the 12Z NAM. That would be consistent.

May I have the link to the 18Z RGEM, please?

That def. needs to be watched. I still don't see how the low is going to go as far north as every model is showing. I can see the warm nose coming as that always happens but how fast it drops in also seems a little suspicious to me as well.

Like Larry and lookout have said we need a southern trend. Even 25-50 miles can be big for us Northeast Ga folks.

Note that the 18Z NAM was as much as 25 miles south of the 12Z NAM for the low's track. Interesting. Could a weaker low and further south track trend be starting? I also noted a slightly stronger NE high on the 18Z NAM vs the 12Z NAM. That would be consistent.

Just my two cents I think we are starting to see that trend and would not be surprised to see until 6z tomorrow morning. My very first post mentioned this. The models keep making moves that go against what this past winter and climo dictate should be happening. Maybe they are starting to come up against the "brick wall" and having to resolve that now. 

NWS RAH is going with 3-5" for the Triad and surrounding areas in the NW Piedmont.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
418 PM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

...AN ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL SETTLE OVER THE REGION TODAY SETTING
THE STAGE FOR A POSSIBLE WINTER STORM LATE MONDAY AND MONDAY
NIGHT...

.ON MONDAY...A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE DEEP
SOUTH AND BEGIN TO TRACK TOWARD THE CAROLINAS. PRECIPITATION WILL
SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA LATE MONDAY...WITH A WINTRY MIX EXPECTED
ACROSS ALL OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

NCZ007-021>023-038-039-161200-
/O.UPG.KRAH.WS.A.0002.150216T2100Z-150217T1700Z/
/O.NEW.KRAH.WS.W.0001.150216T2100Z-150217T1700Z/
PERSON-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...
HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...GRAHAM...LEXINGTON...THOMASVILLE...
ASHEBORO...ARCHDALE...TRINITY
418 PM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY TO NOON EST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR SNOW AND SLEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY
TO NOON EST TUESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT...INCLUDING THE TRIAD AREA.

* HAZARD TYPES...ACCUMULATING SNOW AND SLEET RESULTING IN DANGEROUS
TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* TIMING...LATE MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SNOW AND SLEET COVERED AND
TRAVEL WILL BECOME DANGEROUS. ISOLATED TO SCATTERED POWER
OUTAGES WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW AND
SLEET ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY
HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST
TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... BLANKETS... AND
WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

&&

$

Archived