• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

noise. The track is almost identical. Besides ice sucks. Let's just hope this goes far enough north not to tease us at the last minute only to be let down when it's just another crap event.

I should have made clear I was referring to DC's far NW suburbs on the front end...I'm not paying attention to up north...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have no fear. JB said we are going to have heavy wrap around snow on the back side lmao. Dude can predict snow in July.

That guy is a piece of work. He knows climo says we have 7/10 winters below avg snow with a couple blockbusters to keep our avg afloat yet he predicts us to be above normal 8/10 years. Then every year it's the same crap. Somewhere in the country verifies, usually NYC, and all he talks about is that area. His individual storm forecasts are worse. He literally picks the snowiest model from each run and posts it's snow map designed to show too much snow and calls that his forecast. How in the world does that not work. I'm shocked he busts high with methodology like that.

18z NAM and GFS Bufkit soundings are nearly all rain at KIAD tomorrow. BL is just overwhelmed with that warm advection and with the low deepening it will just scour that cold air out quicker. You have to go north to KMRB to get freezing rain tomorrow night.

Good. Rain much preferred over slop. I wish we could go warmer.

18z NAM and GFS Bufkit soundings are nearly all rain at KIAD tomorrow. BL is just overwhelmed with that warm advection and with the low deepening it will just scour that cold air out quicker. You have to go north to KMRB to get freezing rain tomorrow night.

It is times like these that remind us to be objective. Wish casting is a bad habit but enticing because some many of us can't get quite enough snow. We should remember to be appreciative of objective, non-biased meteorology even though it isn't always fun.

That guy is a piece of work. He knows climo says we have 7/10 winters below avg snow with a couple blockbusters to keep our avg afloat yet he predicts us to be above normal 8/10 years. Then every year it's the same crap. Somewhere in the country verifies, usually NYC, and all he talks about is that area. His individual storm forecasts are worse. He literally picks the snowiest model from each run and posts it's snow map designed to show too much snow and calls that his forecast. How in the world does that not work. I'm shocked he busts high with methodology like that.

He's not held accountable for his forecasts. He's really a weather 'personality.'

I've only been casually watching since I bailed yesterday morning but this is a pretty good lesson for all of us (not just our sub). We'll get another setup like this again might be years down the road or later this month but the lesson is a good one.

Where the slp forms is obviously very important. But also closely monitoring h5 height trends and strength of storm.

The run over run trend of increasing heights a little each run made it easy for me to bail. It wasn't coming back no matter what. A 1004 low or something similar would still be a decent hit from at least Philly north. This thing ended up so much stronger than first thought. No problem pushing right into hp to the north.  

better cad this run on the nam than last fwliw

Yup, the snow threat is gone, but given what we've seen so far this season, there are certainly short-term trends to monitor in terms of surface temps tomorrow evening. I would say the past Thursday evening sleet-blitz and resulting iciness was not verbatim indicated by the models..... it's decently cold tonight too. 

better cad this run on the nam than last fwliw

I just checked the soundings IMBY.  If I'm reading this right, 00z NAM doesn't get the surface above 33 degrees by 12z Monday.  The 18z NAM had the surface at about 38 degrees at that time. 

According to the maps on TropicalTidbits, at 12z Monday there are some places in our region at which the 2m temps dropped by 8-9 degrees from the 18z NAM to the 00z NAM. 

So I'm still paying attention.  This could get messy.

I've only been casually watching since I bailed yesterday morning but this is a pretty good lesson for all of us (not just our sub). We'll get another setup like this again might be years down the road or later this month but the lesson is a good one.

Where the slp forms is obviously very important. But also closely monitoring h5 height trends and strength of storm.

The run over run trend of increasing heights a little each run made it easy for me to bail. It wasn't coming back no matter what. A 1004 low or something similar would still be a decent hit from at least Philly north. This thing ended up so much stronger than first thought. No problem pushing right into hp to the north.  

I see what you are saying, but I dont look at it as a low pushing into high pressure, but rather the high pressure is moving and the low moves toward where the high was. This is not a strong high, and there is nothing to keep it in place so it slides. Also in this particular setup, we have that damn ridge off the SE coast which also helps keep the low on a more NW track. That was just as big a red flag for me as anything. It was always there, but its strength/position varied run to run, and of course the position and amplitude of the ridge in the west has influence on that.

Archived