joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's always a "glimmer" of hope until it happens.Blizzard off 66 proved that!! Storm complete surprise!!

Since you and I live pretty damn close, I'll drink the "glimmer" kool-aid for 24 more hours. Why not? I definitely have seen plenty of weather surprises my lifetime as well. Anyway--hope this thread can get back on track at least for a while longer.

Last nights ggem also started the low about 150 miles south this afternoon. That's a huge error for. 24 hours. So we will know very soon if it was on to anything. My guess it corrects at 12z.

I'm going full weenie and stating the 12Z NAM shows a robust convergence setting up at 500 mb based upon the 500 mb system over Quebec.

It is frequently noted that CAD isn't modeled well. What will easily scour out this particular air mass?

the trough axis is too far west so as this amps the flow is out of the south ahead of it. We don't really have good confluence ahead of it to resist. That said there are other factors that could help some. The antecedent air mass is cold so if we can get decent precip in dynamic cooling will help for a time. That alone can set up some incentive for the low to want to jump to the coast further south rather then just blast through a cold air pool along and east of the mountains. It's a long shot everything is heading the other way right now.

Eta: I suspect if we can get this to game time still close we will see things trend colder and in our favor in the now cast time range fir the reasons above. I just have doubts this will be close enough to matter.

Maybe cmc is onto something with the cad. Current snow cover over the Northeast and upper mid west/ great Lakes region is expansive. I doubt the shallow cold will erode quickly but only time will tell. I'm leaning to a sleet frz rainsenario myself for thsee parts.

Full weenie mode, ramming speed! I'm full weenie me self at this moment. Clench the buttocks, cross the fingers and toes, put out a cookie snack for the snow and wear the PJs inside out.

the trough axis is too far west so as this amps the flow is out of the south ahead of it. We don't really have good confluence ahead of it to resist. That said there are other factors that could help some. The antecedent air mass is cold so if we can get decent precip in dynamic cooling will help for a time. That alone can set up some incentive for the low to want to jump to the coast further south rather then just blast through a cold air pool along and east of the mountains. It's a long shot everything is heading the other way right now.

Eta: I suspect if we can get this to game time still close we will see things trend colder and in our favor in the now cast time range fir the reasons above. I just have doubts this will be close enough to matter.

The 500 mb out to hr. 15 has a massive complex from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock; if it slows down, we get a snowier solution. This ain't over (Max weenie power).

The NAM at hr. 24 says keep hope alive. N. MD could be snow to sleet to fr. rain to back side flurries. maybe....no liquid rain?

High is still stronger resulting in stronger confluence. If the high to the SE weaker in later runs this will have no choice but to go SE even more. But this run is definitely south with the precip shield and low. Not by much but its south. 

out of curiosity what is the mb reading of the high in canada and se?

Well, with the in-situ CAD potential given the antecedent arctic airmass, and deep snowpack in the NE, I've always though the models, including the NAM, were underplaying the surface layer wet bulb potential somewhat. I would also think a weak SLP would take a path of lesser resistance, i.e. where there is no snow on the ground.

Many of us mentioned the other day that it was just a matter of time when the NAM (in particular) began to trend south again, after getting newer and newer sampling of sensible weather in the BL to our north.

Surprise surprise!

Archived