• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

lol what were you expecting exactly? Storm is over IL. Heavy snow moving towards Chicago. Radar will be juiced up by evening east of the mountains for the brief sleet-fest before going over to cold rain.

Not for us...I'm talking as a whole...I just assumed a wall of water running 40N certainly doesn't look it. Early call....snow totals start busting low from Chicago on east

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah not sure why people even use that. Its awful. I only use the NWS NEXRAD doppler, Base reflectivity for winter storms.

Yep. I always use the base reflectivity. I use wbug for t-storms mostly. Really wish I had a need for ANY radar today, but I think we have beaten that poor dead horse enough. ;-)

Not for us...I'm talking as a whole...I just assumed a wall of water running 40N certainly doesn't look it. Early call....snow totals start busting low from Chicago on east

There probably will be a rather narrow band of heavy snow...and this thing is pretty fast moving. So I could see accums being on the lower side of predicted range in many places. Looks like generally 5-8" for most areas that are going to get all snow. Higher amounts from NE PA into New England.

The NAM is trying to push the 850 mb low towards the St. Laurence River area.

If we are going to get disappoint, may as well pound it.

At this point, yeah.  I knew we were cooked after the 00Z Thursday night runs almost unanimously had this going off to our northwest.  By Friday afternoon, I pretty much wrote it off.  It sucks, but at least it failed for us well in advance, it's not like we lost it a day out or something.  It's amazing how far north it's going now, particularly the 850 low as you mention.  Heck, they're looking at mixing in KCLE (my home town), and have backed off fairly significantly on the amounts even there.  Dare I say they may even have to do the same for SNE...is that even legal?? ;)

At this point, yeah.  I knew we were cooked after the 00Z Thursday night runs almost unanimously had this going off to our northwest.  By Friday afternoon, I pretty much wrote it off.  It sucks, but at least it failed for us well in advance, it's not like we lost it a day out or something.  It's amazing how far north it's going now, particularly the 850 low as you mention.  Heck, they're looking at mixing in KCLE (my home town), and have backed off fairly significantly on the amounts even there.  Dare I say they may even have to do the same for SNE...is that even legal?? ;)

It seems we have a highly effective/efficient +NAO.

Sure, we are getting cold shots but no effective blocking.

This winter is the poster child for cold + dry vs. warm + 'moist.

Only hope for major snow is a lucky set up before the end of the season.

It seems we have a highly effective/efficient +NAO.

Sure, we are getting cold shots but no effective blocking.

This winter is the poster child for cold + dry vs. warm + 'moist.

Only hope for major snow is a lucky set up before the end of the season.

We had a +NAO pretty much all of last winter too, though I guess in some ways we lucked out better (much better!).  Maybe we had better "pseudo-blocking" compared to this year.  It was also colder last winter to be honest, but that's probably all due to some other factors as well.  It hasn't been extremely warm this season, even the above normal December never "felt" all that warm (mostly damp and cool, haha!).

You're right though about the blocking.  That's perhaps the one element that's fooked us more than anything; this latest event, the confluence just wasn't strong enough (despite how the models looked last week).  I don't think we get shut out for February, but don't expect anything big either.  Maybe we'll be lucky enough to top January's totals, and not have our biggest event be an over-performing clipper (that one from early January stands as my biggest of the year to this point).

Toasty out again, hitting our forecast high at 10:30am is normal in the sun because the models can't predict 2 seconds ahead. I think I have a better chance of seeing 60 degrees in the next 36 hours then getting a half inch of snow. The Groundhog will not see his shadow, winter is over.

We had a +NAO pretty much all of last winter too, though I guess in some ways we lucked out better (much better!).  Maybe we had better "pseudo-blocking" compared to this year.  It was also colder last winter to be honest, but that's probably all due to some other factors as well.  It hasn't been extremely warm this season, even the above normal December never "felt" all that warm (mostly damp and cool, haha!).

You're right though about the blocking.  That's perhaps the one element that's fooked us more than anything; this latest event, the confluence just wasn't strong enough (despite how the models looked last week).  I don't think we get shut out for February, but don't expect anything big either.  Maybe we'll be lucky enough to top January's totals, and not have our biggest event be an over-performing clipper (that one from early January stands as my biggest of the year to this point).

Ever since 01-02 (when I started following weather), the only winters that didn't have a warning criteria storm IMBY were 01-02 and 11-12. Every other season had a storm with at least ~5". Even 2012-13, with 4.8" in that late March storm :lmao:

This winter may suck, but it's no 01-02. I think something is going to give, eventually.

You can thank the -AO for last year's winter.

Can you give a crash course on how high/low heights affect the track of vorts?

Here's an animated GIF with the last good run of the gfs (12z on the 29th) and then the following 6. The last good run had the flat look in front of the vort and good confluence (think compressed lines running flat or downhill) to the north. This was a perfect starting point for a good run. We needed both the flat isobars across our region and the isobars far north of us to not retreat northward at this point in time. 

The the wheels fell off in subsequent runs. Isobars are no longer flat in front of the vort. They took on a distinct uphill look (making is easy for any storm to track uphill or further north). Plus, the heights over the far north retreated a little bit each run from the last good run meaning we had less of a wall to keep the storm from going north. 

Take a look at the 546 line during the last good run. Right along the MD line. Except for 1 run where the north trend appeared to stabilize (still too late for us) it kept going north later on and so did the storm. 

When your rooting for a south trend, you can compare early panels (12-24 hours) to the previous run and see if there is a noticeable tick in any direction. It's an easy and early clue to get a handle on where the run may be going. This is something I do whenever we get into shorter leads (3-4 days). When the bad trend starts early in the run it usually means business. 

When the 18z nam came out and stabbed us in the heart, I was pretty nervous. You could see the shift in h5 inside of 48 hours. Nam is a decent tool with h5 plots inside of 48 hours. 

I knew on friday morning it was over. There was zero evidence that we were going back to anything close to the last good run. Heights in every model run kept ticking just a little more north. Considering the short lead by that point, it wasn't for us and it was obvious. At least to me. 

post-2035-0-79291900-1422811345_thumb.gi

Someone else please tell me you have seen JB2's recent tweets this morning on the storm. I don't know how this guy was ever a weatherman. It's worse than wishcasting. Every other model/forecast is talking about the storm going even further northwest and further cutting snow amounts/raising temperatures and he is talking about Indy's temp falling 2 degrees and a new low trying to form in Tennessee.

(snip)

Bob, thanks for this - great explanation and easy to understand.  Simplistically, I've learned to look at the 500h map as a highway for our storms. But one thing I have a hard time understanding is when the pros refer to "heights are low", etc when doing PBP of model runs.  Low heights equate to flat 500h and high heights refer to non-flat 500h isobars?  I just can't wrap my head around that concept for some reason.

Archived