• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

Bob, thanks for this - great explanation and easy to understand. Simplistically, I've learned to look at the 500h map as a highway for our storms. But one thing I have a hard time understanding is when the pros refer to "heights are low", etc when doing PBP of model runs. Low heights equate to flat 500h and high heights refer to non-flat 500h isobars? I just can't wrap my head around that concept for some reason.

The easiest way is to look at the closest height line # over your house. If that # is increasing or moving north as you move forward in time then it means heights are increasing or vice versa.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some funny **** out there on facebook. Someone posted to the S&S page that the temp at their place in west York was 36 and that their forecast was going to bust. They responded by telling the person their sensor was faulty. I guess they didn't realize that Thomasville (the official reporting station for York) was reporting 37.

:axe: I was thinking it was way more complicated than that. Thanks!

Depending on what you are looking for it can be much more complicated. I described a short lead technique that was threat specific. Long range you'll hear me post things like "lowest heights centered out west" and things like that. It's relative or comparative to heights in the east. How low and how high means a lot. Trough axis is very important. Spacing is another important consideration. How sharp or broad a trough/ridge setup is means a lot irt sensible wx.

Comparing model frames to previous runs is good except for when a wave significantly speeds up or slows down. Then it's not so easy to tell the differences from a hobbyist perspective.

My concern going forward for our region is if the pattern trends towards a Midwest to northeast one.

Archived