• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

Love that place! Going there next weekend. Did you try the Rise Up Stout?

And this is why we need to have an AmericanWX beer meet up. I'm serious. How cool would that be? I'm as big a weather geek as I am beer geek. Its my 2 favorite hobbies. :) I'm a big fan of Burley and Evo for sure just FYI.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foggy in the state capital and 37'ish.

It finally cleared here a bit...I had the Evo IPA a few weeks ago and it was delicious...enjoy!

Thanks! We are enjoying for sure. Fog in Annapolis is still hanging tough. But the Mason's lobster rolls have us thinking we're in Maine. Man, they're good. I love the lobster rolls, but not a fan of the football team. Go Indy!

Topped out at 39.5F in Clarksburg. 0.00" of rain today (1 batch of light sprinkles that lasted ~2 minutes) so it was a nice winter day.

Great day to be on the C&O Canal. Here's a couple of pics:

Drilling to check the thickness. 6" at Monocacy. Nice.

post-109-0-05876500-1421629851_thumb.jpg

Skatable ice as far as the eye can see.

post-109-0-40096600-1421629961_thumb.jpg

Me and one of my daughters. A good day. Temp was 34F when we got there at 1pm and 36F when we left at 4pm.

post-109-0-94985500-1421630173_thumb.jpg

Came home just in time to see the last of the snow in the back of the yard. It's still 37.4F so I don't know if it will last the night. Ground is still frozen solid though.

post-109-0-95513800-1421630333_thumb.jpg

Topped out at 39.5F in Clarksburg. 0.00" of rain today (1 batch of light sprinkles that lasted ~2 minutes) so it was a nice winter day.

Great day to be on the C&O Canal. Here's a couple of pics:

Drilling to check the thickness. 6" at Monocacy. Nice.

Man that looks like fun...my family used to skate on the canal when I was a kid...I'm seriously thinking of buying some skates after seeing your pictures. It looks like you had the whole stretch to yourselves. 

Super cool Das. I would skate for miles on that. Top layer looks a little soft. Was the ice grabby or good glide?

The top got a bit soft at the end as temps continued to rise but really only after 3pm. When the ice is that thick, it self-refrigerates well unless temps get above 35F or there's a lot of direct sunlight. Yesterday would have been better since it did not get above freezing but I was dropping another daughter off at school after the break. Priorities...

The top got a bit soft at the end as temps continued to rise but really only after 3pm. When the ice is that thick, it self-refrigerates well unless temps get above 35F or there's a lot of direct sunlight. Yesterday would have been better since it did not get above freezing but I was dropping another daughter off at school after the break. Priorities...

Soft top is a tradeoff. Sometimes bullet proof is pristine but can easily make imperfections a tripping hazard. Soft is more forgiving. A deep freeze after a warm day can be near perfect if the previous day is warm enough. Natural skating is similar to skiing. Always changing conditions but hitting the right day can be sooo good.

After some morning flurries, it is now bright a sunny here. I took a drive through the Patuxent River State Park in western Hoco where I saw a pair of Bald Eagles gracefully fly overhead and land in a nearby tree. It appeared to be a female and its fledge. You could here the younger eagle soliciting a mom for a meal.

Archived