• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

We didn't really start to do snow well last season until January 21st. I'm only about 4-5" behind last year right now.

i wish i could say the same

this time last year I was at 22" with another 9" coming on the 21st.

This year... 5.5" 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn't really start to do snow well last season until January 21st. I'm only about 4-5" behind last year right now.

northern maryland did much better, maybe not the city.  there were more events to chase last year, let's put it that way.  for as cold/chilly we've been so far this winter, we've been pretty deficient in snow.  it's actually getting on my nerves now.  if it ain't gonna snow, just give me a sunny, january thaw.

northern maryland did much better, maybe not the city.  there were more events to chase last year, let's put it that way.  for as cold/chilly we've been so far this winter, we've been pretty deficient in snow.  it's actually getting on my nerves now.  if it ain't gonna snow, just give me a sunny, january thaw.

This is feeling like a very normal winter to me since late December: mostly it is cold; occasional warm-ups, and not too much snow. If this does in fact turn out to new a "normal" (mean) winter, then we should have  some fun times ahead. 

Last season was extraordinary for the number of events to track and total number of accumulating events, though. I had 15 separate accumulating events, with 10 of them 1" or greater. That's the most I've ever seen. So, it's an unrealistic benchmark. 

The recent winters where we were close to median or average were in the four to eight separate events range. 

Last season was extraordinary for the number of events to track and total number of accumulating events, though. I had 15 separate accumulating events, with 9 of them 1" or greater. That's the most I've ever seen. So, it's an unrealistic benchmark.

The recent winters where we've hit median or average were in the four to eight separate events range.

Last year was wild from a tracking perspective. From early Dec through end of March there was always something to watch and many produced. Heck, April tried to pull something off.

It will go down as my favorite tracking season and probably stay at the top for years. I actually got burned out from tracking. Me?! Yep.

Last year was wild from a tracking perspective. From early Dec through end of March there was always something to watch and many produced. Heck, April tried to pull something off.

It will go down as my favorite tracking season and probably stay at the top for years. I actually got burned out from tracking. Me?! Yep.

I have a good memory for smaller events (like the 0.5-2" type) in addition to the big ones in all the winters that I've experienced, but I had to refer back to my snow log for last season. I couldn't keep straight all of those half-inch and one inch events that we tracked on here. 

Today is the 9th day the inlet has been covered in ice. Yesterday, you were probably able to walk bank-to-bank, but I'm always a little cautious with ice. In other words, I didn't go across ;)

(but I did walk out maybe 50 feet from the shore)

Nice. Me and the extended family are going skating on the C&O Canal Saturday. Lots of skaters and even a few ice fisherman on there the last week or so. If we pop that big ridge in the west late next week and the lead storm goes south of us, we could be looking at a skatable canal for a month or more. Very rare around here.

Last season was extraordinary for the number of events to track and total number of accumulating events, though. I had 15 separate accumulating events, with 10 of them 1" or greater. That's the most I've ever seen. So, it's an unrealistic benchmark. 

The recent winters where we were close to median or average were in the four to eight separate events range. 

Over the last 10 years IMBY, I have averaged 7.3 measurable events per season, and 4.1 1"+ events per season

Nice. Me and the extended family are going skating on the C&O Canal Saturday. Lots of skaters and even a few ice fisherman on there the last week or so. If we pop that big ridge in the west late next week and the lead storm goes south of us, we could be looking at a skatable canal for a month or more. Very rare around here.

Definitely don't do it! It's not safe. No water in our area is safe. Maybe a few small lakes will be safe in a couple weeks. Never walk on any tidal water in this area.

My almost-three-year-old asked if that was snow on the windshield.  I said no, it was frost.  Then tried to figure out a way to explain frost to a 3 year old.

yesterday morning my kid said my windshield was a "mess" because of the frost. "mess, mommy!"

Definitely don't do it! It's not safe. No water in our area is safe. Maybe a few small lakes will be safe in a couple weeks. Never walk on any tidal water in this area.

???  I can't tell if you are joking or serious.  Ice in the area is often safe and I've been skating on the C&O Canal since the 70's.  It was 4 1/2" at Monocacy last weekend and 5" further south at Chain Bridge yesterday.  If you know what you are doing and show the ice the respect it deserves, it is perfectly safe.

icethicknesschart.jpg

??? I can't tell if you are joking or serious. Ice in the area is often safe and I've been skating on the C&O Canal since the 70's. It was 4 1/2" at Monocacy last weekend and 5" further south at Chain Bridge yesterday. If you know what you are doing and show the ice the respect it deserves, it is perfectly safe.

Totally agree Das. On my local hidden pond I will skate @ 3" and not think twice but not when there are other people doing it (collective weight is a concern some people overlook). At 4" I don't care at all. I bring a cordless drill and measure. Ice is only scary because idiots realize that 1.5" can hold you up so you walk out and then....

??? I can't tell if you are joking or serious. Ice in the area is often safe and I've been skating on the C&O Canal since the 70's. It was 4 1/2" at Monocacy last weekend and 5" further south at Chain Bridge yesterday. If you know what you are doing and show the ice the respect it deserves, it is perfectly safe.

icethicknesschart.jpg

I watched a friend of mine go through the ice when I was a kid. It's not pretty. Don't get me wrong. I love walking on ice. I just stick to small lakes, ponds, ect. I never attempt walking on tidal water tho. Very dangerous IMO.

I watched a friend of mine go through the ice when I was a kid. It's not pretty. Don't get me wrong. I love walking on ice. I just stick to small lakes, ponds, ect. I never attempt walking on tidal water tho. Very dangerous IMO.

Understood re: tidal (the C&O Canal is not tidal, btw) and sorry to hear about your experience.  Something like that sure can make an impression...

Understood re: tidal (the C&O Canal is not tidal, btw) and sorry to hear about your experience. Something like that sure can make an impression...

Oh, ok. I was thinking that was the lower Potomac for some reason.

Yeah, luckily the water was only waist high when he went through. He got covered in mud, that's about it. Scary for a few minutes. It actually happened at the lake in Crofton where the snake head thing happened. This was years before that tho. Be safe and have fun. Temps today might soften the ice, so be careful.

torching out there. Up to 42

Weather always seems to be annoying here. No one cares about wind on a normal day, but everyday their seems to be a front, the wind always "over performs", yet when we're interested in how high it can get, especially in Blizzard Warnings or Tropical Storm Warnings, wind always underperforms. A lot of my highest wind gusts come with fronts and developing severe weather cells (June 10, 2013). The last wild weather event here was the Derecho. Anyways another +forecast temp today. Cold/Breezy, Cool/Windy or Cool/Drizzle, and Mild/Wet.

Archived