Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2014 Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you old enough to remember 1/25/00, just a little reminder that in a little over 1 month we'll be celebrating its 15TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

I mention it now just in case I forget about it, which becomes a problem at my age.

One of my all time favorites. I remember some real deal snow rates that day. I can still remember seeing it get darker (like a thunderstorm was moving in) right before the heaviest snow was starting to fall.

1996 was great as I can remember looking to south and west around 10am and seeing just a wall of increasing dark clouds, 22F and we already knew we were in for it.

It's #1 in my book....the perfect combo of wind, snow and temps....and you're right....it was a can't miss...watching radar Sunday morning gave me chiils...a wall coming almost due north into a 16 degree air mass...this is 4am sunday morning...I probably had 4" by this point.....you can see the low east of Savannah

NationalRadar-0900Z-07Jan96.gif

That radar takes me back. I was living in Springfield, Ohio then (between Columbus and dayton) and ended up with a surprise foot+ as it just kept snowing. Forecasters over that way absolutely slow to grasp just how expansive the moisture stream was and that it was capable of that kind of snowfall that far from center of the storm.

It's #1 in my book....the perfect combo of wind, snow and temps....and you're right....it was a can't miss...watching radar Sunday morning gave me chiils...a wall coming almost due north into a 16 degree air mass...this is 4am sunday morning...I probably had 4" by this point.....you can see the low east of Savannah

NationalRadar-0900Z-07Jan96.gif

What a storm. I was 12 at the time living in central NJ - we got 30" or so. I remember watching TWC as snow began falling in DC. I muted to the TV and pretended I was the meteorologist giving the forecast.

I was living just across the PA border in Stewartstown...extreme southern York Co. We had just moved to the area from Baltimore City during the Christmas school break. That storm was EPIC. Better than 2003 or any of the big 2010 storms. It was cold, the wind blew and the snow just kept coming. If I remember correctly, it took the better part of 5 days for us to get out of our street. It was eventually cleared via front end loader and the mountain of snow at the end of the street was incredible. Drifts were in the 6-8 ft range. It was ridiculous. Our storm total was close to 3ft, but it was so hard to measure because of the wind. And to top it off, we got more snow later in the week. 

And there were 44 combined deaths related to the storm in the PA/MD/VA area. Many were heart attacks caused by shoveling.  

What exactly was it that made Jan 1996 better than Feb 6, 2010? I only ask because I was very little back in 1996 and don't remember it that well.

I was living just across the PA border in Stewartstown...extreme southern York Co. We had just moved to the area from Baltimore City during the Christmas school break. That storm was EPIC. Better than 2003 or any of the big 2010 storms. It was cold, the wind blew and the snow just kept coming. If I remember correctly, it took the better part of 5 days for us to get out of our street. It was eventually cleared via front end loader and the mountain of snow at the end of the street was incredible. Drifts were in the 6-8 ft range. It was ridiculous. Our storm total was close to 3ft, but it was so hard to measure because of the wind. And to top it off, we got more snow later in the week. 

And there were 44 combined deaths related to the storm in the PA/MD/VA area. Many were heart attacks caused by shoveling.  

I know that York County was absolutely crushed in January 1996, much more than anyone else in the region outside the mountains. But even among the DC guys, a lot of them still feel that it beats Feb 2010.

Feb 6, 2010 doesn't even deserve to mentioned in the same breath as 1996.

Really? Hmm not the storm I remember. Probably depends on your your exact location. For those of us around and east of I-95, Jan '96 storm flipped to sleet for several hours(not forecast). I had about the same amount in both storms, but 6 Feb 2010 was all snow start to finish.

Archived