joxey
December 2014 Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE WORST DECEMBER EVER.

EVER.

It had to happen in an otherwise great weather year.... 2014 started very cold and snowy, then spring and summer were cool and pleasant, and November was more wintry than this sorry month... we just had to get a hideous December to close 2014.

I didn't get a single flake of snow.  Not one.  That's never happened out here in my memory.  Since it has only happened a handful of times at BWI in its history (someone posted the number of times a while back), just imagine how rare it is out here.  

That was me who posted that. But here's some good news: a complete, total shutout in January (not even a trace) has only happened one time at BWI... in 1937. And its never happened at IAD.

It had to happen in an otherwise great weather year.... 2014 started very cold and snowy, then spring and summer were cool and pleasant, and November was more wintry than this sorry month... we just had to get a hideous December to close 2014.

Not to mention fall had a lot of great weather days too... the sad part of this month was watching BWI completely blow a chance at a top 10 coldest calendar year just because of this stupid month. It may be quite a long time before we have a chance at that again.

I didn't get a single flake of snow.  Not one.  That's never happened out here in my memory.  Since it has only happened a handful of times at BWI in its history (someone posted the number of times a while back), just imagine how rare it is out here.  

At least I saw flakes in 2011.

Well, I actually feel lucky as one of the few to have had anything this month, a whopping 0.7 on the 9th. Had a few T's for flurries on 6 other days and the 'white rain' from night of the 29th. Usually average 4.7 for month of Dec. A +4.0 temp for the month too. Hopefully Jan, Feb and Mar do not repeat.

Well at least you did okay in the Thanksgiving event ( I think?). There were some that reported 4-6 inches out that way. I have had literally a trace of snow, and that occurred in the flizzard i mentioned in my previous post. Of course where I am I don't expect real snow till January.

Yeah, not bad.  Around 3.5", so I realize that others are in far worse shape than I so far this winter... of course, that is normal to climo.

That was me who posted that. But here's some good news: a complete, total shutout in January (not even a trace) has only happened one time at BWI... in 1937. And its never happened at IAD.

Not to mention fall had a lot of great weather days too... the sad part of this month was watching BWI completely blow a chance at a top 10 coldest calendar year just because of this stupid month. It may be quite a long time before we have a chance at that again.

Well, here's to setting new standards of futility in 2015.  lol.  Good job with the weather history.

Well, I actually feel lucky as one of the few to have had anything this month, a whopping 0.7 on the 9th. Had a few T's for flurries on 6 other days and the 'white rain' from night of the 29th. Usually average 4.7 for month of Dec. A +4.0 temp for the month too. Hopefully Jan, Feb and Mar do not repeat.

Elevation sure has it's advantages.  What is your yearly avg.?  I think mine is around 26" at our valley elevation.

Archived