• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
State of the snowpack / Streak ends at 48-50 days for those around Rt.78/80 and S

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miraculously still some snow in sunny (drift) areas. This pack has some serious staying power. I think the onshore flow may have haloed the south shore today. Lower temps with higher Dews or higher temps with lower Dews is the question

Yea the south shore definitely got help the past few days with onshore flow. If we had the temps the north shore got or inland Jersey, our snowpack would be completely gone by now. Have anywhere from 0-3" left here, 50% coverage.

KNYC had 10" this morning for 14 straight days with 10" or more and 16 total for the season...Tomorrow will probably be around 5"...The record for the most days with 10" and consecutive days 10" in KNYC...

10" days...

33 1947-48

23 2010-11

20 1960-61

16 2013-14

14 1995-96

12 1977-78

..8 2009-10

..8 1968-69

..8 1993-94

Consecutive days 10" or more...

17 12/26-1/11/1948

16 1/26-2/10/2011

14 2/9-22/2014

10 2/3-12/1961

10 1/7-16/1996

..9 1/23-31/1948

..8 2/9-16/1969

..8 2/11-18/1994

..7 12/26-1/1/2011

..6 2/6-11/1978

..6 2/11-16/1983

8" snow depth here this evening.  The top 3" is very firm.  The bottom 5" is nearly impenetrable.

I drove through the north fork earlier.  It was dark, but Orient looked pretty bare.

The air temperature at midnight is 39, but the snow surface and puddles of snow melt have refrozen.  Must be the clear skies.  I suspect another bout of black ice tonight.

8" in the shade 4" in the sun not a peek of grass really anywhere in Rahway.  Haven't seen real grass since January 21st truly amazing.

About the same here in Metuchen, 9 miles to your SE (I work in Rahway).  Despite high temps today in the low 50s, this snowpack will survive (lots of clouds will also help) and I think it will survive all this coming week, given the cold temps.  Would be nice to freshen it up tonight and Tues/Weds, but that's looking iffy...

Still a good solid 12" for the most part.  I have a feeling that my front yard, faces due east and gets a lot of early day sun, will start to torch out today though.  There's a hole in the snow now where the septic cover is and that spot is always thin and there is a little bit of bare ground in the center of the cap so it's gonna spread quickly from there.  The crust is about 1.5" thick overall now and supports our 60 pound dog running at full speed, that will keep things locked up for a while longer I think.

Down to just patches here for the most part-some north facing lawns and shaded areas still have good coverage but it is spotty at best on open spaces and south facing lawns. But plenty of black ice piles left. :(

Yea huge bare patches in the sunny areas. Other areas have a couple inches. While full shady areas have several inches.

Couple inches > bare areas > full shady areas with several inches

mine is almost all gone! :maphot:

Ditto.  All grassy areas are clear of snow.  Only snow left is any snowbank that a plow pushed to the side and the 15 foot mountains of snow in all the parking lots (that's probably going to be around for a while).  (Central Suffolk)

edit: there is 3" of snow on the grass in shadowy areas

Tried to go for an easy trail hike today in the nice weather.  It was difficult, at least a foot still on the ground in NW NJ.  Kids were light enough to not sink through, but the adults slogged through with a good physical exertion. 

Yeah, it's especially exhausting when the snow supports you some of the time and lets you sink the rest... keeps you off-balance and stumbling. At least twice as strenuous as walking in powder/dry sand.

Archived