• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
State of the snowpack / Streak ends at 48-50 days for those around Rt.78/80 and S

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm staring at Central Park right now and I can assure u there isn't 6" here. Many many spots where grass is showing. If this is 6" then I have a 5' snowpack back home lol

That's what the climate report has. And it's pretty obvious they measure in one spot. What would you expect them to so measure around the whole park and average? It's a huge space

Pretty much a glacier out there at this point. One can run and stomp on the snow and barely leave footprints. Something very satisfying about it.

About 10" left except around tree trunks and buildings.

Still have 13-14" back home.. The way things are lookin now we might be back to a 2'+ snowpack by next week

Well it's wrong lol plain and simple

I am not sure what the situation is in Central Park, but I doubt it is simple.  Snowpack is a variable thing.  Think of a mountain in spring that is snowless and dry on the south facing side and still fully encased in feet of snow on the north facing side.  Central park isn't that extreme, but I don't doubt it is possible that some parts of the park stay snow covered a lot longer than others.  How far are they supposed to roam from the official measurement site to find an area with less snow that they can measure?  Now if all around you is bare ground and you have a small patch 6" deep right at your usual measurement site, then the proper thing to do would be to record a Trace of snowcover.

I know here, the sides of Main Street down in town (2 miles south) are mostly bare within 10 - 20 feet of the roadway.  In my neighborhood, we've had some bare spots develop over the past few days (in places where you would expect them to develop first), but I doubt you'd argue with me that we are maintaining good snow cover.  My point is I am measuring snow cover in this neighborhood, not in the next one over or down in town (or the other side of the mountain).

I am not vouching for the accuracy or reasonableness of the central park observation, only that it is theoretically possible.  FWIW, I was the one who questioned how they could have reported 18" for days on end recently.  I doubt that was accurate.

Do you still have around 6" on the ground? Or 4-5" now?

It was 5" this morning.  It's about 6" now.  The sun melted most of the new snow off of paved surfaces, cartops, etc. this afternoon, but not the new snow that was laying on the old snow.

Tomorrow morning's depth will either be 5 or 6" depending on how much of the new fluff evaporates over night.  I record snow depth at 9AM.  Our deepest snow depth this winter (21") isn't in the record because it occurred around mid-day, then settled to about 18" by the next morning.

On the other hand, we've had continuous snowcover here since about 1/22, but what doesn't show in that particular set of observations is that on Super Bowl Sunday we were down to a trace in the evening before more snow fell early in the morning...so it works both ways.  I made my own notes about both the 21" and the Trace, but most likely no one will ever see them :)

Guest Pamela

Great photos...about 3 to 4 inches of snow left on the ground here in Port Jeff...but can't put ruler through as its basically glacier quality / easy to walk on.

the 6" Central Park has for the last week is suspect to me...Where do they take this observation?...It sounds like it's in a shady spot...even a shady spot melts when temperatures go above freezing...My area is down to traces in spots and shoveled piles...

the 6" Central Park has for the last week is suspect to me...Where do they take this observation?...It sounds like it's in a shady spot...even a shady spot melts when temperatures go above freezing...My area is down to traces in spots and shoveled piles...

I travel between Staten Island and Hoboken (2 miles west of Central Park basically) and there is a huge difference in remaining snow cover between the two. Staten Island changed to rain so much earlier on that one storm than the Park did.

Archived