• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
State of the snowpack / Streak ends at 48-50 days for those around Rt.78/80 and S

Zelocita Weather

the 6" Central Park has for the last week is suspect to me...Where do they take this observation?...It sounds like it's in a shady spot...even a shady spot melts when temperatures go above freezing...My area is down to traces in spots and shoveled piles...

I think its pretty accurate. Go to any wooded park in the NYC area and you'll find solid snow cover in the forested areas. I've been xc skiing in Prospect & Forest Park for weeks now. In the depths of the wooded areas of Forest Park, there's at least 10 in. of glacier & solid  snow cover for acres. On the horse trails which go on for miles, there's 95% complete coverage of 2-4 inch hard pack & quite a bit of it is exposed to sunlight.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 5" here.  But (similar to Fantom's assessment for the city parks), there is more in the woods.  I took hikes along two different sections of trail in the northern part of Smithtown today and the average depth seemed to be 6 - 8", but there were areas well over a foot.  I hiked about 6 miles and maybe 100 yards of trail was bare on one exposed hillside.  I wore micro spikes which were more than just a good idea on the hardpacked trail.  Also lots of frozen postholes.

Here are a few pictures from this afternoon:

post-290-0-24473200-1393741332_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-11232200-1393741342_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-76252400-1393741350_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-28992100-1393741361_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-00843500-1393741368_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-08740200-1393741377_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-15079200-1393741385_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-70580000-1393741393_thumb.jpg

Awesome photos N. Shore! And that's an excellent perspective on how solid the snow cover is in the wooded areas. Man, is that snow a lot whiter than here in Bklyn & Queens! How are the trails for xc skiing? Looks like I need to venture a little east for some skiing.

Awesome photos N. Shore! And that's an excellent perspective on how solid the snow cover is in the wooded areas. Man, is that snow a lot whiter than here in Bklyn & Queens! How are the trails for xc skiing? Looks like I need to venture a little east for some skiing.

A few inches of powder will make everything very skiable.  That stuff there now is granite, but would make for a nice base.  If you want to ski the granite, I recommend something with metal edges.

A few inches of powder will make everything very skiable.  That stuff there now is granite, but would make for a nice base.  If you want to ski the granite, I recommend something with metal edges.

Yeah, you ain't kidding bout needin the metal edges! I've got a pair of metal-edged back country skis just for this. A few inches of fluff will make a world of difference & I remain hopeful for Monday.

Central Park reported 5" today...That's 28 straight days with 4" or more...One better than 2010-11...No where near 1947-48's record 53 days straight...

most consecutive days with 4" or more in KNYC since 1913-14...

53 in 1947-48

33 in 2013-14 as of 3/7

30 in 1960-61

28 in 1919-20

27 in 2010-11

most consecutive days 1" or more in KNYC...

58 in 1947-48

55 in 1919-20

54 in 2010-11

46 in 2013-14 as of 3/7

40 in 1993-94

with another cold wave coming tomorrow 2013-14 could end up in second place for consecutive 4" days...

Guest Pamela

About 4 inches of snow on the ground in Port Jefferson...42 straight days with snow on the ground...& 60 days for the season.

Or get a fatbike. They turn a frozen forest into a HUDGE skatepark :). I was out yesterday and there's a thick crust over a foot of granular goo and you can go just about anywhere. Every now and then, usually going over downed trees, the bike falls into air pockets but overall this is some solid shiz. I'll grab some pics of frozen playgrounds for y'all tomorrow.

A few inches of powder will make everything very skiable. That stuff there now is granite, but would make for a nice base. If you want to ski the granite, I recommend something with metal edges.

Been about the same as Central Park for weeks.  Have about 5" on our entire property, except at the base of some trees, although I'm sure the melting will start spreading from there soon, as the sun melts snow much more at the boundary layer between snow and non-snow objects that warm up from UV radiation absorbance, than from direct melting at the top of the snow layer.  Some south facing lawns with zero shade are bare. 

Im thinking were going to lose most of our snow in western Nassau over the next weekend sunny and highs in the upper 40's to possibly low 50's. I would just assume that the only snow we'll have left next week at this time will be piles in parking lots...we need another storm soon to give some fresh cover....

Even with below freezing temperatures this week, the March sun is eating away at the edges and there are more bare spots.  The overwhelming theme is still of nearly full snow cover, but there are some south sloping mostly treeless lawns to be found nearby that are nearly bare.

The photos below are from Tuesday (left) and from just a few minutes ago (right).

post-290-0-36873200-1394142605_thumb.jpg

Today is the first day in about two weeks that my boots have made impressions in the snowpack. 38F for a high today and filtered sun made mush out of a lot of areas and helped along the receding line of cover under trees and along roads. Consequently, today is the first day in two weeks that I've been able to get my yardstick through.

11.5" in an open west-sloping part of my yard with 3.6" of water content. The snow got softer today but it has barely dissipated an inch since the end of the last thaw.

Guest Pamela

35 for a high today.. Had some melting but still a general 13" snowpack throughout.

What a beautiful photo snywx...

About 3 inches of glacier left on the ground here on northern L.I.

Even with below freezing temperatures this week, the March sun is eating away at the edges and there are more bare spots. The overwhelming theme is still of nearly full snow cover, but there are some south sloping mostly treeless lawns to be found nearby that are nearly bare.

The photos below are from Tuesday (left) and from just a few minutes ago (right).

attachicon.gifMarch4vMarch6.jpg

Here is the yard in Laurel Hollow this morning. I have not seen the grass since mid January.

. We have lost a little bit of snow this but it is amazing the staying power of snow in the first week of March.

post-2988-0-68684900-1394288627_thumb.jp

Question for the experts here. I remember as a kid learning in school about sublimation of solids directly to liquid, and the example of losing snowcover despite temps well below freezing. To what extent is this true? For example, given a fluffy snowcover after a blizzard, if we had sunny with 15 degree high temps for a week, would snowcover dimish, excluding compaction?

Archived