Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting II

nj2va

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

829 PM EST SUN DEC 8 2013

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

WENT AHEAD AND EXTENDED THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR CALVERT/ST MARYS UNTIL 7AM TO MATCH THE REST. THEY HAVE A NORTHEAST WIND THAT HAS NO APPARENT WARM UP EVEN THOUGH IT IS CROSSING THE BAY WITH MID 40S WATER TEMPS. WINTER STORM WARNING FOR BALT- WASH METRO...NORTH TO THE MASON- DIXON...WEST ACROSS THE ALLEGHENY FRONT...SOUTH TO OUR SRN CWA BORDER...INCLUDES SHEN VLY...MD/VA PIEDMONT. MAIN WAVE OF FREEZING NOW REACHING KCHO. AREAS OF FREEZING DRIZZLE ACROSS THE REST OF THE REGION WILL BE OVERTAKEN BY THIS SWATH OF LIGHT TO MODERATE FREEZING RAIN. AS OF 01Z...1035MB SFC HIGH IS OVER NEW ENGLAND. WITH 1030MB MSLP OVER BALT-WASH...A NORTHEAST WIND HAS DEVELOPED...STRENGTHENING THE WEDGE/COLD AIR DAMMING.

-- End Changed Discussion --

DAMN. Just terrible news. Terrible.

0.25+ QPF over N VA/DC/MD at 06z per 00z NAM... and its below freezing :yikes:

@zuszgang... this is exactly the scenario we talked about yesterday WRT to Pepco. Hopefully yall are N of the precip otherwise you're in for a long couple days.

99% of the people here are rooting for it even if they say they aren't. It's why we are here.

28.8 and steady

+1 sir... gonna be interesting to see who stops posting from our SW as they lose power and thus internet connectivity in the coming hours

Just went out for a bit...roads out here are mostly wet...I assume when traffic stops it may freeze up but even my driveway is just wet. Freezing rain is overrated....

Freezing rain rarely causes icy road conditions unless your area has already been in the deep freeze for a while, and won't tonight for those of you sitting at ~30+.  Crashing limbs/downed power lines are another story. 

Been at 30.5 for quite a bit of time. Still coming down, but I haven't looked to see how much has accumulated. Interesting enough, Boone, NC is still well below freezing. They were 30 for a while and dropped back down. Shows how strong this CAD is.

Freezing rain rarely causes icy road conditions unless your area has already been in the deep freeze for a while, and won't tonight for those of you sitting at ~30+.  Crashing limbs/downed power lines are another story.

Unless your roads are already covered with 7 inches of snow and your temps are in the mid 20's

Just out walking the dog, fzdz. Would say already have about .2" of ice on bushes and tree branches from the late afternoon freezing rain and the hours of frdz. Roads are wet with patchy icy sections from where snow earlier gathered (usual shade covered areas). Sidewalks treacherous. Temp 31, Dp 29.

street plowed not once but twice here about an hour ago.  Sidewalks are slick.  Sitting at 30/30

Been at 30.5 for quite a bit of time. Still coming down, but I haven't looked to see how much has accumulated. Interesting enough, Boone, NC is still well below freezing. They were 30 for a while and dropped back down. Shows how strong this CAD is.

Disc are you in the city or county I can't remember? I'm in the county and the nearest wunderground weather site for the hollins area has me at 30.0 the last time I checked.

*wow the next batch inbound on radar means business looking at the echos associated with it.

Archived