joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting II

nj2va

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove back today from Millersville, PA. Got in a minor accident just outside of the town and made my way slowly back into the area. 83 was fine but route 29 in Maryland was awful. I wonder if the salt will be very effective given that temps are not super super low. 

I drove back today from Millersville, PA. Got in a minor accident just outside of the town and made my way slowly back into the area. 83 was fine but route 29 in Maryland was awful. I wonder if the salt will be very effective given that temps are not super super low. 

Roads are horrific here. Glad you're okay 

Grain of salt, but the HRRR precip type diagrams would indicate that most of that precip in and south of DC would be FZRA

Kinda interesting. 

attachicon.gifhrrr_t_precip_washdc_13.png

HRRR isn't bad 5-6 hrs out.  Also mesoscale runs from today liked the DC area and south. I am keeping my fingers crossed that NRN MD won't get as much. We currently have a little freezing drizzle making a huge mess but if thats all we get I'll be happy.

Roads are horrific here. Glad you're okay 

I was surprised at how quickly they got bad. I tried to scramble out of there after the snow started but right where N Duke St. hits 999 I slid off and into a garden plot on the side of the road. Guy in front of me got stuck and 2 people followed me exactly and scraped me a bit. Manor PD was pretty quick to come get things moving again. I'm glad that I gambled at came back rather than hunkering down - it was largely fine most of the way back. Stay safe. 

So does this mean that the worst of the ice will be in that yellow area?

Huge IF here...

But IF that yellow area were all freezing rain (assume about .75" of that 1"+ sticks) then there would be very large problems. 

Point is, this is going to be a huge nowcasting event. Should be fun. 

Huge IF here...

But IF that yellow area were all freezing rain (assume about .75" of that 1"+ sticks) then there would be very large problems. 

Point is, this is going to be a huge nowcasting event. Should be fun. 

Sorry for all the IMBY questions--but do you think the worst will be north or south of the Mason-Dixon Line?

Archived