Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part II

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit confused here, is this a storm snow for Northern Connecticut or not? Local mets last night had nothing. The ULL is hanging around like an unwanted house guest, wouldn't that push this storm out to sea south of here?

Not watching me??????

I'm sure it will..whether it actually does so in a significant enough fashion to start making us believe a major storm is coming is another question.

That retro-phase of the energy has definitely been the main key. I remember texting Scooter the othernight wondering if we could pull off a March 2001 with the retrophase only everything is shifted well south since the block was well south.

Seriously .. there are large scale structural difference playing out in time.  The fervor is too intense for people to slow down and take in posts ... but I have been posting what those are and why the GFS is keying in on a solution like this. 

1   The trough axis is slowly being rotated into a more negative orientation prior to leaving the MA Coast at mid levels.  Every degree around the dial it gets corrected, the further west the solution must evolve out in time because that's just physics.

2   Every single isopleth at 500mb out in the Atlantic is being repositioned west / n/w of of prior runs.   This is consistent with the argument I made yesterday about the flow being too stretched out in the Euro solution.  The ridge L/W length was too vast for a blocked regime, which favors shorter L/W lengths.  These runs may simply be correcting for that.

i know, i'm just pointing out the wild differences between the gfs and euro

Except it comes off as more just needling at the hopes for the sweetest solution up here, especially since you don't actually reference the Euro in your alleged comparison with it.

Except it comes off as more just needling at the hopes for the sweetest solution up here, especially since you don't actually reference the Euro in your alleged comparison with it.

it's pretty close to the best possible solution for this area, too... it would help if the euro does more than a 20 mile shift n this run

it's pretty close to the best possible solution for this area, too... it would help if the euro does more than a 20 mile shift n this run

I'm not buying what the GFS or even SREF's are selling without at least a two-run stretch by the Euro showing something at least resembling it.

Right now the consensus with weight to the more reliable model in the last few weeks points to more of a glancing blow; more impact than depicted verbatim on the 00z Euro but substantially less than the GFS has shown over its past three or four runs.

The Ukie making a big jump at 12z here definitely has me feeling a bit sheepish toward the Euro...the possibility that the Euro may get schooled by the GFS is definitely increasing in my book. But still way too early to be spiking footballs.

The Ukie making a big jump at 12z here definitely has me feeling a bit sheepish toward the Euro...the possibility that the Euro may get schooled by the GFS is definitely increasing in my book. But still way too early to be spiking footballs.

What time does the gem come out 1130?

I just looked. I don't know what To think lol.

If you're JUST interpreting the GFS on its 12z run, I'd say that the majority of the storm is snow with some rain possibly working in once the bulk of QPF has fallen in frozen form, but even that shifts back (if the shift does indeed occur; BOS would be borderline at worst, I think, from what I saw).

But this is a fantasy run and it is not to be trusted.

Yeah, we've seen busts at 24h on the models so it's still a possibility.

I would expect the GGEM to head north based on the RGEM, but we'll see. 

GGEM is often last to the party but we'll see.  The RGEM started to make the big shifts at 6z, so like you I expect the GGEM to dump the Euro bowling ball to the middle of the ocean.

Euro should come much more north, towards at least it's ensembles.  Normally if we were expecting a hit and the Euro ENS were NW of the Op we'd have been hearing non-stop about red flags.  Not sure why that was different this time, but oh well.

Archived