northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part II

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're JUST interpreting the GFS on its 12z run, I'd say that the majority of the storm is snow with some rain possibly working in once the bulk of QPF has fallen in frozen form, but even that shifts back (if the shift does indeed occur; BOS would be borderline at worst, I think, from what I saw).

But this is a fantasy run and it is not to be trusted.

As a general climo rule in marginal situations, I hedge snowier in the latter portion of the season, and rainer early on...

Yeah, we've seen busts at 24h on the models so it's still a possibility.

Euro busted at 6 hours in being too suppressed just 10-14 days ago.  Nobody cares aside of me because the only ones that benefited were down here.  But, the fact remains it's had some stubborn issues with certain events this winter.

I asked a couple of days ago for historical precedent of a big closed low at all levels rotating SE from HAT.  I'm assuming there weren't any answers because there aren't really any analogs for the situation as portrayed.

the thing to remember is that the GFS has almost always had runs that were too extreme, usually right in this range.  This is why people end up saying it blows.  When the other models slowly, begruddingly come to the idea of a storm the GFS is in 1888 range.  Then it compensates back, we end with a 2/3 of the region saying "Gfs blows" because the predicably too far NW runs weren't adjusted out. If we look at the winter in entirety, we toss this run in favor of the consensus which should be SE because the odds greatly favor it correcting SE.

That said, the way things have gone this winter everyone will assume it's the same situation and it'll go for the 100% coup.

If you're JUST interpreting the GFS on its 12z run, I'd say that the majority of the storm is snow with some rain possibly working in once the bulk of QPF has fallen in frozen form, but even that shifts back (if the shift does indeed occur; BOS would be borderline at worst, I think, from what I saw).

But this is a fantasy run and it is not to be trusted.

No, I meant about this whole situation.

Euro busted at 6 hours in being too suppressed just 10-14 days ago.  Nobody cares aside of me because the only ones that benefited were down here.  But, the fact remains it's had some stubborn issues with certain events this winter.

I asked a couple of days ago for historical precedent of a big closed low at all levels rotating SE from HAT.  I'm assuming there weren't any answers because there aren't really any analogs for the situation as portrayed.

the thing to remember is that the GFS has almost always had runs that were too extreme, usually right in this range.  This is why people end up saying it blows.  When the other models slowly, begruddingly come to the idea of a storm the GFS is in 1888 range.  Then it compensates back, we end with a 2/3 of the region saying "Gfs blows" because the predicably too far NW runs weren't adjusted out. If we look at the winter in entirety, we toss this run in favor of the consensus which should be SE because the odds greatly favor it correcting SE.

That said, the way things have gone this winter everyone will assume it's the same situation and it'll go for the 100% coup.

To amend, the only time the correction didn't occur or that the GFS wasn't amped enough was the huge blizzard.  I still view this as more of a hit vs miss scenario pending the euro/ggem vs historic vs epic....which to me means we discount the GFS and shift things SE until the other models collectively blink.

It will be fun to watch some posters suddenly soften their stance on the GFs...it's kind of like guys who make fun of ugly chicks and then take them home hoping that nobody finds out.

If this all works out this could become my signature for awhile because that's pretty funny.  Model beer goggling.

navgem rolling in, has the feature over the lakes, better ridging ahead of the system, it's coming north vs 0z navgem

Yeah, not before a huge front-ender.  Maybe 1/4-1/2" falls as rain after the ~2.5" of snow.

This ending as rain as it is lightening up should not be a surprise to anyone, as even in the previous more excitable GFS runs warm tainting by a rotting/filling appeal was not only outright modeled in those solutions, there is a spring climatology for west Atlantic cut-offs in doing so.      

Archived