joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/25-1/26 Storm Disco Thread

NOVAForecaster

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underperformance, eh? More like around what I thought earlier this morning when people said:

This analysis is poor.

Do you remember what radar looked like the other night? Most managed an inch from that. Some that were lucky enough to be under heavier returns, received more. 1-3 today is certainly possible. At the very least, I think most equal the inch they received Wednesday night/Thursday pre dawn.

The difference is that Wednesday nights storm didn't have to deal with as dry of an airmass as we have right now. This combined with the poor reflection on the radar right now and the downsloping effect of the mountains leads me to believe that the models are seeing virga and that the immediate DC metro area will see minimum effects from this system, and that a dusting is more likely than 1" or more. Maybe I'm a pessimist and my analysis is wrong, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that this isn't going to be what some here think it's going to be.

I mean...I got an inch. I wasn't expecting anything more...

It was generally in the area of expected at least in a vacuum. I think forecasts were higher in a lot of spots for this one than the last tho and the last was better for most spots at least around here. The dry air was less of an impact than lack of moisture/dry slot and quick movement.

It was generally in the area of expected at least in a vacuum. I think forecasts were higher in a lot of spots for this one than the last tho and the last was better for most spots at least around here. The dry air was less of an impact than lack of moisture/dry slot and quick movement.

Yeah agree on all points. I think I may also be skewed because I was not awake for the clipper. This one was much more visible - I think I might have gotten a hair more with this system. 

Yeah agree on all points. I think I may also be skewed because I was not awake for the clipper. This one was much more visible - I think I might have gotten a hair more with this system.

It's always nice to see snow but the time expended on these two systems was not necessarily worth the outcome. This one was frustrating because for some reason most of us bought into the model agreement earlier in the week at least to a degree.

Measured just under 1" imby, not sure to round up or down.  Don't like rounding up. Very light snow throughout, though a little heavier around 3:30.  Began about 2:30 ended about 7 PM.  Mitch reported the same thing that happened here: the sun came out here about 4:30 but the snow continued to fall despite broken skies.  Kept that up another 2.5 hours but we only picked up another 1/4" or so.  About what I expected, and at least everything is covered in white.  Was just enough snow that I could take my little one tobaganning.  Given the temp, it was a great day.

Archived