Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/25-1/26 Storm Disco Thread

NOVAForecaster

That's pretty cool.

I may be the only member who posts here that lives in a town that doesn't plow or treat the roads at all for small snowfalls.  There was still a thin frozen cover on the roads this morning from Wednesday morning's event, before the couple of inches that fell today. Snow seems deeper on the roads than it does in the yard.  Sun angle was no factor today.

Most of the subs around here outside the city limits contract for snow removal. Our association doesn't spend money on small stuff like todays dusting even though it leaves the streets snow packed and slick.

This event had snow, ice pellets and a little freezing mist at the end even though it was under 23 here. The hard surafces were pretty cold to start making it very slippery. I couldn't get the wife's car up the driveway which has a slight slope until I put some salt down. I've never had that issue with a front wheel drive car...so much for traction control.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a bit more than an inch in Columbia.  Maybe 1.2" by eyeball?  Matches nearby storm reports. 

We had snow on snow with temps in the teens and low 20s,  isn't this the promised land? 

Yes re: the promised land.  1.4" total in Clarksburg.  Still flurrying at 9:50pm, winds have gone dead calm and the temp is 16.7F.  Ive had three batches of light snow move through in the last two hours.  Basically the frozen version of patchy drizzle.  Flakes are columns and it lasts long enough to give a dusting each time then it's right back to flurries.  Here's a vid of one of the light snow patches:

IMG_0746.MOV

I melted 0.15" liquid in the 4" gauge from a 1.8" snowfall.  It looked like an awful lot of snow made it into the bucket for some reason.

Probably try to do a core sample in the a.m. since this seemed like better than a 12:1 ratio type snow.

Take a look at the Philly thread.  Apparently there were 30:1 and 40:1 ratios.  Tombo confirmed.

Most of the subs around here outside the city limits contract for snow removal. Our association doesn't spend money on small stuff like todays dusting even though it leaves the streets snow packed and slick.

This event had snow, ice pellets and a little freezing mist at the end even though it was under 23 here. The hard surafces were pretty cold to start making it very slippery. I couldn't get the wife's car up the driveway which has a slight slope until I put some salt down. I've never had that issue with a front wheel drive car...so much for traction control.

We pay a $ 50 annual fee to the HOA that is to cover our elderly neighbor's (retired landscaper) plowing of our street, which is a private road.  He doesn't seem to come out for anything under 4"  and rarely before the snow has ended, except in the big storms.  What strikes me about here is that the county roads usually don't get touched either unless the snow is heavy.

We pay a $ 50 annual fee to the HOA that is to cover our elderly neighbor's (retired landscaper) plowing of our street, which is a private road.  He doesn't seem to come out for anything under 4"  and rarely before the snow has ended, except in the big storms.  What strikes me about here is that the county roads usually don't get touched either unless the snow is heavy.

While here in Montgomery County on County roads, they lay down so much salt before and after the storms, it's like they are making sure Carthage will never rise again.  Truck just rumbled by with his blade up throwing mountains of salt as it went by.  Stupid Montgomery County.  A disturbing trend in the area is snow removal companies have started salting shopping centers like crazy instead of plowing a couple of inches up into snow piles.  Really?  I can't begin to imagine what the impact is on the Chesapeake from all of this.

P.S., still flurrying at 10:35pm.

I liked the event too. My grass is covered for the first time in almost 2 years. It been cold and darn wintry too. Yea, a big snow would have been nice but driving around today in good rates with ponds frozen and snowcovered reminded me that we can still do winter around here.

I got a hair over an inch. 2 in the last 3 days. And snow on snow. Nice week.

Powdery snow > glop

While here in Montgomery County on County roads, they lay down so much salt before and after the storms, it's like they are making sure Carthage will never rise again.  Truck just rumbled by with his blade up throwing mountains of salt as it went by.  Stupid Montgomery County.  A disturbing trend in the area is snow removal companies have started salting shopping centers like crazy instead of plowing a couple of inches up into snow piles.  Really?  I can't begin to imagine what the impact is on the Chesapeake from all of this.

P.S., still flurrying at 10:35pm.

My father is an aquatic biologist for the City of Philadelphia Water Department.  He did a study of water quality in local streams and waste water treatment plants and found that within 24 hours of a 2" or greater snowfall, there was an average rise of pH was a value of 1 - 2.  It made most water bodies slightly to moderately basic.

Got about 2 inches in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  Light snow showers coming down still.  Looking at webcams it is still snowing in places in Northern DE but nothing on the radar.

Ended up with about 1.75" in lewes, measured 2" in one or two spots, but decided to lowball to be safe.....where in Rehoboth are you located?

My father is an aquatic biologist for the City of Philadelphia Water Department.  He did a study of water quality in local streams and waste water treatment plants and found that within 24 hours of a 2" or greater snowfall, there was an average rise of pH was a value of 1 - 2.  It made most water bodies slightly to moderately basic.

Wow....That's substantial.  Some aquatic life is extremely vulnerable to sudden, drastic pH changes.  I wonder how much we lose after every storm.

I melted 0.15" liquid in the 4" gauge from a 1.8" snowfall.  It looked like an awful lot of snow made it into the bucket for some reason.

Probably try to do a core sample in the a.m. since this seemed like better than a 12:1 ratio type snow.

I melted 0.12" for only 0.8" of frozen precip. It seemed like a high water content considering it was pretty cold while it fell. Probably because it mostly fell as very fine granuals, not flakes.

No, it's real. The snow continues to increase in intensity. Legit light snow now, dime sized flakes.

I'd love to hear the met explanation. This seems to be back filling.

I saw flurries at around 6am and looked at the radar, which looked like a random snow shower passing through. I wonder what the forcing mechanism would be for an expansion of the returns right now.

I saw flurries at around 6am and looked at the radar, which looked like a random snow shower passing through. I wonder what the forcing mechanism would be for an expansion of the returns right now.

It's some upper level energy swinging through. It was evident over the southern Great Lakes yesterday evening enhancing some LES around 11pm.

Archived