• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

I konw it really isn't close to the same situation, but would a good example of this be the remnants of Hurricane Ike blasting the OV with 60-90 MPH wind gusts. I specifically remember that day, and nothing more than 30 MPH gusts being forecasted, and then the entire OV having hurricane force gusts.

It was a different setup....there similarity was that there was a very strong LLJ with the remnants of Ike...but the storm itself wasn't rapidly deepening or very strong. The winds were able to mix down very well in the Ike remnants because of high surface heating which destablized the low levels.

The LLJ in this storm is going to be stronger than that setup, but the ability to mix it down will be tougher. So it will be a question of if the LLJ can overcome the relative stability at the surface. It might be a situation where if we can dryslot on the east side and even get a few breaks of sun, that would really allow the winds to go gangbusters.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a different setup....there similarity was that there was a very strong LLJ with the remnants of Ike...but the storm itself wasn't rapidly deepening or very strong. The winds were able to mix down very well in the Ike remnants because of high surface heating which destablized the low levels.

The LLJ in this storm is going to be stronger than that setup, but the ability to mix it down will be tougher. So it will be a question of if the LLJ can overcome the relative stability at the surface. It might be a situation where if we can dryslot on the east side and even get a few breaks of sun, that would really allow the winds to go gangbusters.

CLE did mention Ike in their AFD but I think more as a loose/general similarity to do with a transitioning tropical system. The setups are pretty different. There does seem to be a possibility of a significant strong wind event westward into the Lakes/OV but will be facing mixing questions like areas farther east.

TY. Then there was another similar storm in November 1968 too where the NEUS got waffled greatly. I think it was early November of that year.

November 11-12, 1968. Perhaps the most intense wind/ blizzard conditions I've ever witnessed from my vantage point then, at a high elevation in the Monadnock region. It was the last of three storms within a week, the second of which dropped 10" of snow at my location. The 11-12 storm dropped about another foot, before dissipating to spitting drizzle and fog around noontime as the center passed close by.

Quite the early welcome to the epic winter of 68/69

cyclonic loop just east of Central florida over hrs 18-36 ....i though this model was decent inside 36 hours, does it just blow in the tropics

People were 5-posted just for mentioning the NAM in Isaac threads - I'm serious.

If any aspect of the system is tropical at all, it is literally useless at all forecast hours.

People were 5-posted just for mentioning the NAM in Isaac threads - I'm serious.

If any aspect of the system is tropical at all, it is literally useless at all forecast hours.

Yeah it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

The worst is watching TV mets mention it. As a member of that group it really makes me sad and embarrassed.

Since we were infatuated by Sandy's loop near FLL on the NAM... it is super fast up here. Looks like it starts hooking back toward us monday morning.

TS winds into SNE by 00z Monday?

What the NAM shows aside, do you suspect that the models may underestimate the forward speed once this clears say HSE? Mostly interested about the timing as trying to fly to BDL on Sunday night, but also wonder if faster than expected acceleration might have a bearing on the track, with additional northerly momentum possibly taking some steam out of the sharp westerly hook....

Archived