Newest Member
    amirah5
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how far from the beach are you, Joe?

I am .9 miles from the actual beach, but the tidal marsh is 200 yards or so from my house. Army Corps of Engineers actually has a series of locks here in just south of me in the wetlands, have only seen them walking, but this land is basically reclaimed tidal marsh as well as fresh water rivers underground, my neighbors sub pump across the street goes 24/7 365.

I'm going to remind people that this thread is not the banter thread for this threat....we have one designated for that:

It makes our jobs a lot easier if we don't have to delete one word posts or off-topic posts...Id' prefer to talk about the meteorological aspects of this storm than spend time moderating.

Great radio show, good thing too as Scooter has a radio face, ha. Ian with the full moon shout out to me, LOL. Well as the weenies turn. I really liked Adam and Scott's reasoning for a ACY to Montauk hit, made perfect sense to me. After all is said and done Sandy versus ULL will decide actual landfall. Just looked at 925 maps , those folks busting Kevs balls might want to tone that back. I would not be surprised if the center, eye if you will, is broad and 30-50 miles across with the strongest winds north of that, meaning a center landfall in BML, like that Scooter? area puts NYC and LI Coastal Ct in the strongest wind swath. Such a big storm and what a gradient. Like Vortex stated in his post the 92 storm gradient produced gusts far away from the center in the 90s. This gyre has a deeper gradient and a broader circulation along with a tropical infusion. This storm is atypical, historical in path and not studied or analogous to any other in East Coast history. Maybe it's not as much a beast as we fear but it sure looks ominous for many. some here are writing this off because they see a circle crossing the NJ coast. I hope most are more sophisticated than that and follow and read what the community has to say about the future implications.

Great radio show, good thing too as Scooter has a radio face, ha. Ian with the full moon shout out to me, LOL. Well as the weenies turn. I really liked Adam and Scott's reasoning for a ACY to Montauk hit, made perfect sense to me. After all is said and done Sandy versus ULL will decide actual landfall. Just looked at 925 maps , those folks busting Kevs balls might want to tone that back. I would not be surprised if the center, eye if you will, is broad and 30-50 miles across with the strongest winds north of that, meaning a center landfall in BML, like that Scooter? area puts NYC and LI Coastal Ct in the strongest wind swath. Such a big storm and what a gradient. Like Vortex stated in his post the 92 storm gradient produced gusts far away from the center in the 90s. This gyre has a deeper gradient and a broader circulation along with a tropical infusion. This storm is atypical, historical in path and not studied or analogous to any other in East Coast history. Maybe it's not as much a beast as we fear but it sure looks ominous for many. some here are writing this off because they see a circle crossing the NJ coast. I hope most are more sophisticated than that and follow and read what the community has to say about the future implications.

Great post Steve, and on point.

They had the two models (SLP I think) overlaid starting with Sandy's current position then running through next week. Showed the divergence of the two (means I think).

Ah the current chart on their website show it going through NYC. It looks the same as the one Kev posted from Ryan's boss...

That's just a general idea...Obviously room for error to shank it to the left Baltimore Ravens style.

This storm will have some major potential to mix down very strong winds well away from the center.

The GFS with it making landfall in NJ still had 90 knot winds at 900mb over interior SNE...even up by ORH. So it will definitely have the ability to produce huge gusts far from the center....it even had 63 knots sustained only like 1500 feet off the deck ont he sounding. That is pretty ridiculous stuff.

However, we still just have no idea how this will evolve in a detailed sense yet where some of these details cna make all the difference in the world.

Archived