northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The term, "Frankenstorm" has been bandied about the office today - is the source for this really Cisco ?

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

313 PM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

VALID 12Z SUN OCT 28 2012 - 12Z THU NOV 01 2012

...HIGH IMPACT MERGING OF ENERGETIC SYSTEMS ANTICIPATED OFF THE

MID ATLANTIC COAST...

PRELIMINARY UPDATE...

DESPITE A MODEST CLUSTER OF OUTLYING DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS AND

ENSEMBLE MEMBERS FROM THE VARIOUS MODELING CENTERS, THE LION`S

SHARE OF GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THE CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH

HURRICANE SANDY WILL PASS CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE AMPLIFYING POLAR

TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES TO BECOME INCORPORATED INTO

A HYBRID VORTEX OVER THE MID ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST NEXT TUESDAY.

THE HIGH DEGREE OF BLOCKING FROM EASTERN NORTH AMERICA ACROSS THE

ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN IS EXPECTED TO ALLOW THIS UNUSUAL MERGER TO

TAKE PLACE, AND ONCE THE COMBINED GYRE MATERIALIZES, IT SHOULD

SETTLE BACK TOWARD THE INTERIOR NORTHEAST THROUGH HALLOWEEN,

INVITING PERHAPS A GHOULISH NICKNAME FOR THE CYCLONE ALONG THE

LINES OF "FRANKENSTORM", AN ALLUSION TO MARY SHELLEY`S GOTHIC

CREATURE OF SYNTHESIZED ELEMENTS.

AS IS OFTEN THE CASE, WHEN ONE PART OF THE NATION IS EXPERIENCING

A VERY ENERGETIC ATMOSPHERE DISTURBANCE, THE REMAINDER IS

RELATIVELY CALM. THIS EVENT SHOULD NOT PROVE THE EXCEPTION, WITH A

FAIRLY BENIGN FEED OF PACIFIC AIR INTO MOST OF THE WESTERN AND

CENTRAL STATES. THE FAR WEST, PARTICULAR NORTH OF CALIFORNIA, WILL

HAVE ENOUGH SUSTAINED ONSHORE FLOW TO KEEP THE PERIOD WET AND

UNSETTLED.

FINAL...

UPDATED THE TRACK OF SANDY TO FIT THE 15Z/25 NATIONAL HURRICANE

CENTER TRACK THROUGH 5 DAY, WHICH DOVETAILS WELL INTO THE HYBRID

LOW POSITIONS THEREAFTER FOR DAYS 6 AND 7. BOTH THE 12Z/25 GFS AND

GEM GLOBAL BRING THE LOW INTO THE NEW YORK CITY AREA, WITH THE

ECMWF DIRECTING IT INTO THE LOWER DELMARVA PENINSULA. THE UPSHOT

FOR SENSIBLE WEATHER IS THE SAME- HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS FOR

AREAS ALONG THE TRACK OF THE TROPICAL REMNANT, WITH HEAVY SNOWS

POSSIBLE ON THE SOUTHWEST EDGE WHERE THE CONTINENTAL POLAR AIR

RUSHES ACROSS THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY AND CENTRAL APPALACHIANS AND

ADJACENT LOWLANDS TO THE EAST.

CISCO

It seems some haven't been reading. Massive expanding wind field warm core seclusion pressure gradient means cane winds hundreds of miles from LF

seems many are just grasping at straws now that it seems that the mid-atlantic will clearly bear the brunt of this storm. This will not even be a hurricane when it reaches this latitude so how is it possibly going to expand to have a wind field with hurricane strength winds for hundreds of miles. Come on be realistic here. This thing has been trending south for 48 hours now and that is why many cautioned us not to use phrases like Perfect Storm II...we will experience moderate noreaster conditions along the coast in New England...with winds 30-40 maybe gusting to 50...nothing we don't see a few times a winter let alone "once in a lifetime" Away from the coast in New England will be even more benign with winds 15-30 gusting to maybe 40...and 1-2 inches of rain...just a run-of-the-mill fall storm for up here...Too bad ...it was close to being there for us but just not in the cards this time.

Yeah the further south it strikes though, the less the wind threat although coastal flooding would still be massive.

At least at this point a lot of the model QPF values aren't even close to Irene in central/northern New England. Not sure how it compares further south. The bulk of the heaviest rain appears to be heading for the mid-Atlantic on the western side of the storm.

I think CT_Blizz will lose it if this tracks into southern NJ, leaving New England with a "meh" 1-2" of rainfall and gusts of advisory level, maybe barely reaching high wind warning criteria.

They are not even remotely close here either with this storm as opposed to Irene.

Possible 5" or so totals for Catskills and maybe east slopes of Berkshires, especially if storm LF's near NYC. SSE-SE flow will be big these areas

Yeah I do not see Irene-type rainfall amounts for western NE at this point. Doesn't mean there won't be some heavy rain totals...esp if we get some orographic enhancement...but 8-10 inch amounts like in Irene are not looking very likely around here. The best chance for that will be near the front which would be well west of us in NY State and PA.

That's good... already getting a lot of folks asking questions who seem very concerned about the rainfall in this area and up at the ski resort, because Irene is fresh in everyone's mind. I feel pretty comfortable in that there may be some spot amounts that get high, but right now is looking like widespread basin averages should stay to 4" or less... not 6-12" like Irene.

Now out in PA/NJ/MD/VA they could get some heavy, heavy rainfall west of the track where it comes ashore and where that strong frontogenesis band sets up to the west.

seems many are just grasping at straws now that it seems that the mid-atlantic will clearly bear the brunt of this storm. This will not even be a hurricane when it reaches this latitude so how is it possibly going to expand to have a wind field with hurricane strength winds for hundreds of miles. Come on be realistic here. This thing has been trending south for 48 hours now and that is why many cautioned us not to use phrases like Perfect Storm II...we will experience moderate noreaster conditions along the coast in New England...with winds 30-40 maybe gusting to 50...nothing we don't see a few times a winter let alone "once in a lifetime" Away from the coast in New England will be even more benign with winds 15-30 gusting to maybe 40...and 1-2 inches of rain...just a run-of-the-mill fall storm for up here...Too bad ...it was close to being there for us but just not in the cards this time.

Hopefully you are 5 posted

Both of you are trolling lol. I don't think anyone's grasping at straws and I don't think anyone expects hurricane force winds hundreds of miles inland.

That's good... already getting a lot of folks asking questions who seem very concerned about the rainfall in this area and up at the ski resort, because Irene is fresh in everyone's mind. I feel pretty comfortable in that there may be some spot amounts that get high, but right now is looking like widespread basin averages should stay to 4" or less... not 6-12" like Irene.

Now out in PA/NJ/MD/VA they could get some heavy, heavy rainfall west of the track where it comes ashore and where that strong frontogenesis band sets up to the west.

Yeah, at least right now, I don't see record hydro issues in New England based on the current track.

Both of you are trolling lol. I don't think anyone's grasping at straws and I don't think anyone expects hurricane force winds hundreds of miles inland.

lol... smack down.

I'm pretty sure I know one poster who fully expects hours and hours of hurricane force winds decimating the forest on a small hill top to your northeast.

Yeah I don't think that's likely here either unless we saw a change in the track. TS storm force gusts are certainly a distinct possibility and if the duration is similar to that of Irene that would still do some damage. I could see coastal CT gusting upwards of 50-60 knots possibly at times.

Yeah I do not see Irene-type rainfall amounts for western NE at this point. Doesn't mean there won't be some heavy rain totals...esp if we get some orographic enhancement...but 8-10 inch amounts like in Irene are not looking very likely around here. The best chance for that will be near the front which would be well west of us in NY State and PA.

I posted that frontogenesis map from the NAM earlier. Where banding is enhanced on the west and southwest side of the low is where I expect 6-10" amounts

Coastal flooding is my biggest worry actually.

Nor'easters with gale force winds are a dime a dozen. It will be hard to get a truly special wind storm to inland areas but it's possible.

agree on coastal flooding. I see no reason why most or even all of Sne doesn't see gusts to at least cane strength that I outlined in my post that was deleted

Somewhere between the GFS and euro seems to be the most likely landfall but I certainly wouldn't yet rule out farther to the north. The storm is still not in the time range when the models are at their best. The strong block puts more constraints on cone of uncertainty but we're still a couple of days away from being able to get down to specifics for who will be impacted most.

Excellent post Wes.

It's way too early to even be pinning down exact wind gusts or what to even expect in terms of wind. Those details are so highly depend on storm track/landfall/interaction with the trough/pressure gradients/etc.

The flooding situation, especially the coastal flooding should be getting more of the talk right now as this could affect hundreds/thousands of people that live along the coastal plain.

From a wx perspective I can understand why people get excited by high winds an even storm surge. But heavy flooding rains are just blahh. After last year's devastation around here I wouldn't wish for that aspect of it.

Archived