northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the winds on the 18z GFS...that would be an epic disaster for LI sound.

Some good winds too on the Cape...but the surge potential is lower for Buzzards Bay and Narragansett with a due W movement. The angle of attack is very important for the surge.

Pet peeve, but...

To be a hurricane, winds must be sustained for 1-min >= 74 mph.

So really, you cant have hurricane-strength gusts. You can have 74 mph gusts though.

It's like a push-up. If you just hold yourself up elbows extended, its not the same strength as actually doing a push-up.

Pet peeve, but...

So really, you cant have hurricane-strength gusts. You can have 74 mph gusts though.

It's like a push-up. If you just hold yourself up elbows extended, its not the same strength as actually doing a push-up.

Great post. Hopefully Kevin will print this out.

Looking at the winds on the 18z GFS...that would be an epic disaster for LI sound.

Some good winds too on the Cape...but the surge potential is lower for Buzzards Bay and Narragansett with a due W movement. The angle of attack is very important for the surge.

Yes it would be. LIS is so vulnerable to surge this is a big concern. I think the 18z GFS would be a 10 foot surge around parts of NYC.

I have to say that there will be two to three more days of model runs before we really nail this as to track...We are forgetting that the wind field is enormous across the Northeast...it only takes a deviation of the track to make a big difference on impacts..Not sure if its nice or what ever you may call it that the GFS is caving into the Euro,but We still have the CMC and other GFDL models that point to a worst scenerio as well , call it what you want..but We will all see major wind,rain and a few spin up weak tornadoes as well from Sandy. Anything can happen here..Just an observation...

post-2641-0-73890500-1351205085_thumb.pn

I have to say that there will be two to three more days of model runs before we really nail this as to track...We are forgetting that the wind field is enormous across the Northeast...it only takes a deviation of the track to make a big difference on impacts..Not sure if its nice or what ever you may call it that the GFS is caving into the Euro,but We still have the CMC and other GFDL models that point to a worst scenerio as well , call it what you want..but We will all see major wind,rain and a few spin up weak tornadoes as well from Sandy. Anything can happen here..Just an observation...

I think this is an old map....

Its the GGEM run.

But yeah, he's correct in that we have to remember this is still 4 days out. We are going to see a lot of weenie-esque reactions to every 25 mile jog in this thing.

Yup. My gut feeling is the Euro is too far south and west because it is phasing a bit too much. But it's possible. I think there's a limit on how far south we can go because the consensus through hour 60 of a sizable easterly jog... east of HSE... is impressive.

Pet peeve, but...

I disagree. Referring to Hurricane STRENGTH gusts is not the same as calling the condition a Hurricane. Such a reference would only imply that the gusts are of Hurricane Strength.. Calling them 'Hurricane Gusts' would be incorrect, and you would be correct.. Calling them Hurricane-STRENGTH would be ok as a comparative technique; an analogy. That qualifier makes all the difference... Hurricane Strength gusts doesnt mean they have to be produced by a hurricane; only that the gusts be of >= 74mph. "Tropical storm force winds" doesnt necessarily mean they were created by a tropical storm!

I disagree. Referring to Hurricane STRENGTH gusts is not the same as calling the condition a Hurricane. Such a reference would only imply that the gusts are of Hurricane Strength.. Calling them 'Hurricane Gusts' would be incorrect, and you would be correct.. Calling them Hurricane-STRENGTH would be ok as a comparative technique; an analogy. That qualifier makes all the difference... Hurricane Strength gusts doesnt mean they have to be produced by a hurricane; only that the gusts be of >= 74mph. "Tropical storm force winds" doesnt necessarily mean they were created by a tropical storm!

We understand what people are saying when they reference "hurricane force gusts", but technically it's incorrect. By definition, hurricane means sustained winds >= 74mph...therefore if only the gusts reach that threshold it's not really "hurricane strength".

It's funny seeing many weenies jumping on the farthest sw bandwagon when most mets here are telling them all options are equally open, and in fact a LI or NYC is most likely..yet we even have posters from Michigan locking up a delmarva hit lol

Show me the posts of mets saying all options are equally likely.

Archived