amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah like Will said..look at soundings, models are usually horrible with gust potential inland on those 10m wind progs. I don't think some people are giving wind enough credit here. Even a landfall near DE would have 50+ gust on the coast. Then, the potential becomes long duration as the storm heads more west and fills...keeping the gradient and LLJ overhead.

Great radio show, good thing too as Scooter has a radio face, ha. Ian with the full moon shout out to me, LOL. Well as the weenies turn. I really liked Adam and Scott's reasoning for a ACY to Montauk hit, made perfect sense to me. After all is said and done Sandy versus ULL will decide actual landfall. Just looked at 925 maps , those folks busting Kevs balls might want to tone that back. I would not be surprised if the center, eye if you will, is broad and 30-50 miles across with the strongest winds north of that, meaning a center landfall in BML, like that Scooter? area puts NYC and LI Coastal Ct in the strongest wind swath. Such a big storm and what a gradient. Like Vortex stated in his post the 92 storm gradient produced gusts far away from the center in the 90s. This gyre has a deeper gradient and a broader circulation along with a tropical infusion. This storm is atypical, historical in path and not studied or analogous to any other in East Coast history. Maybe it's not as much a beast as we fear but it sure looks ominous for many. some here are writing this off because they see a circle crossing the NJ coast. I hope most are more sophisticated than that and follow and read what the community has to say about the future implications.

Gonna be a busy weekend for Dave getting houses ready in Watch Hill - Ugh - I usually have to help!

This storm will have some major potential to mix down very strong winds well away from the center.

The GFS with it making landfall in NJ still had 90 knot winds at 900mb over interior SNE...even up by ORH. So it will definitely have the ability to produce huge gusts far from the center....it even had 63 knots sustained only like 1500 feet off the deck ont he sounding. That is pretty ridiculous stuff.

However, we still just have no idea how this will evolve in a detailed sense yet where some of these details cna make all the difference in the world.

In a way this reminds me of Dec 94 only much larger. 72 MPH gusts at my house 15 miles inland on a legit setup. I guess it's now a sit and wait for the nuances. Great discussions and lots of opinions. I am going to be watching those buoy ship reports closely, Irene's surge in LI started showing up at NLC first as the tide switched. The anticipated normal tide is somewhat lower than Irene but negligible, currents are very high. Antecedotal reports from some friends with boats on the Pawcatuck River said the tide was higher than they expected this AM, obviously unrelated but interesting none the less.

It's almost like 2010 with blocking too strong. The euro is an option...even if it squeaks north to like ACY or something. Despite all the little nuances that happen before it turns left, the blocking keeps getting stronger as modeled. So something to consider. I've seen models too phase happy before, so I think that is also something to consider. It will also depend on how far NW it curves in the next 24 hours. The further west it gets, the less longitude it gets when it moves NE again...therefore a further SW solution when it finally curves back NW. The one thing that is standing out for me, is how strong the blocking is. I understand there is a weakness causing it to move NE, but that seems to be slowly going away with each model run...unless it decides to appear again. So in my mind, models are phase happy...but part of the reason why is because of the blocking. IMO I think the next two days are important as to how far offshore Sandy is before it moves NE.

Ding ding ding

Gonna be a busy weekend for Dave getting houses ready in Watch Hill - Ugh - I usually have to help!

Get TB to help, yea I would love to be at the Lighthouse for this one. Screaming East winds will pile water up into the sound. Like Scooter said, the fetch is coming from friggin Sable Island NS. The wave height tables remind me very much of the perfect storm. All a matter of where this decides to head. I am hoping Wallops Island and will care less if I warned people to get ready. Power is good snow is better.

BOS has 80 knots sustained at 925mb on the GFS...that is what you have to be looking at when thinking about gust potential.

Some of these folks still do not understand , oh well, you and Scotter explained it very well. That LLJ is insane and Scooter great point about the winds staying up as it fills west, long duration pounding. I do want to add one thing. I think the models are undergoing QPF in the Berks, we all remember Pete and Mitch's 2010 mega QPF on a retro grading storm, that straight east -6 SD 850 wind is going to crank upslope for them.

I'm really very interest'd in the angle of approach with this monster.

ARE we really buying the Due west movement?

is the position and orientation of the ULL key to the West fling. I mean could this thing be flung a bit more NW/or even NNW/ to NW ? or is W/WNW high confidence

Nothing is high confidence 4 -5 days out , other than a storm is coming Mr. Wayne.

Some of these folks still do not understand , oh well, you and Scotter explained it very well. That LLJ is insane and Scooter great point about the winds staying up as it fills west, long duration pounding. I do want to add one thing. I think the models are undergoing QPF in the Berks, we all remember Pete and Mitch's 2010 mega QPF on a retro grading storm, that straight east -6 SD 850 wind is going to crank upslope for them.

Stay safe Mr. Ginx. Your posts tonight are very enlightening.

If I stand on my roof I am almost at 925 mb...

Seriously, I have some concerns about mixing down

This storm will have some major potential to mix down very strong winds well away from the center.

The GFS with it making landfall in NJ still had 90 knot winds at 900mb over interior SNE...even up by ORH. So it will definitely have the ability to produce huge gusts far from the center....it even had 63 knots sustained only like 1500 feet off the deck ont he sounding. That is pretty ridiculous stuff.

However, we still just have no idea how this will evolve in a detailed sense yet where some of these details cna make all the difference in the world.

Beware of Browning's "Sting jet" in a warm seclusion coming from the tip of the comma head located to the S/SW of the low's center. Could see winds 80knots or more.

Nov 50 had an 80-85kt H85 LLJ over NY/New England while the mid/sfc lows moved through the Mid Atlantic. The 18z GFS has 75-80kt even down to H95 on the Cape at 108hr.

I think it'll be difficult to mix down anything impressive where I am, but the coast and interior high terrain in SNE should be pretty gusty at times.

Stay safe Mr. Ginx. Your posts tonight are very enlightening.

Yoo too Scooby Do. Thanks. Had my electrician here today for the Gennie, said all the suppliers were out today of connecting wires and supplies, massive East Coast rush going on behind the scenes. OT I know Will but had to throw it out there as most are reading this thread. Make your preps soon peeps.

Archived