• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

It's funny seeing many weenies jumping on the farthest sw bandwagon when most mets here are telling them all options are equally open, and in fact a LI or NYC is most likely..yet we even have posters from Michigan locking up a delmarva hit lol

If this verifies S of Jersey please stay away from the Tobin.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No disrespect here to the met moderator who commented on my post..but its the Canadian model..look on the map at the left hand bottom corner of the map .. It says CMC..canadian... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst...ironically I told my wife last week ,well I guess we are lucky this year in New England by not getting a hurricane..then Sandy comes knocking..spoke to soon...My son Matt lives in Brooklyn New York..luckly he is in Connecticut working on a film there with Cuba Gooding Jr..as set dresser,so they will keep the crew safe in a hotel there..oh a big kudos to the NHC forecasters for their 2012 Atlantic Hurricane season forecast! It only takes one hurricane to make life miserable.post-2641-0-93757800-1351205923_thumb.pnpost-2641-0-93757800-1351205923_thumb.pn

yeah, those are from yesterday

No disrespect here to the met moderator who commented on my post..but its the Canadian model..look on the map at the left hand bottom corner of the map .. It says CMC..canadian... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst...ironically I told my wife last week ,well I guess we are lucky this year in New England by not getting a hurricane..then Sandy comes knocking..spoke to soon...My son Matt lives in Brooklyn New York..luckly he is in Connecticut working on a film there with Cuba Gooding Jr..as set dresser,so they will keep the crew safe in a hotel there..oh a big kudos to the NHC forecasters for their 2012 Atlantic Hurricane season forecast! It only takes one hurricane to make life miserable.post-2641-0-93757800-1351205923_thumb.pnpost-2641-0-93757800-1351205923_thumb.pn

it states it was initialized on 24oct.. today is the 25oct..

I think this needs to be bumped..Folks.,..please read and understand

With some models now showing Sandy making landfall well to the south of New England,

and possibily meaning less of an impact to New England, something keep in mind, esp

for wind potential...

The Dec 11-12 1992 event...one of the worst Nor'easters on record to impact NEUS/Mid

Atlantic. The storm central pressure got to down 985 mb near the Delmarva and stalled. We

had a 1035 mb high over Quebec and it was bad for wind BOS to DCA. Maps here:

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1211.php

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1212.php

Now the ECMWF shows a similar depth high to the NE-NW. Its position is further N and

it isn't as strongly nosed down close from the NE like in Dec 92, *but*, do some math here.

What was the absolute pressure difference then?...50 mb. What is will be the absolute pressure

difference coming up...being a bit conservative at 960 mb for Sandy, and the 1035 mb high

the ECMWF shows...75 mb! The high to the N is not as pressing for the Sandy event, but a

25 mb greater difference I would think would make it at least as bad as Dec 92 for wind/storm

surge in New England, given the track stays to the S of Long island. So a Delmarva landfall might

not make much difference. Problem is impact is going to be high regardless so any minimizing

statements (i.e. not the worst case scenario) might not be a good idea right now. You have to

look at it from degrees of bad. Even if it is not the absolute worst case scenario for New England, the

worst case scenario is so bad, that getting a little less than that is still really bad relatively speaking.

So if only a million people are w/o power in in southern New England vs. 1.5 million...see what I mean?

When that many people lose power, it is a disaster no matter what.

The infamous Blizzard of 78 in New England had 70-73 mb difference between the high to the N

and the storm center to the S of New England.

Here is my summary of day 1 of the Dec 1992 event from my historical wx files. We got hit hard in SNE obviously as well.

12/11/1992

One of the fiercest "nor'easters" this century in was progress

across the New York City area and the Mid Atlantic region. A

985 millibar low stalled over the Delmarva Peninsula. This

combined with a 1035 millibar high pressure over Quebec set up

an enormous easterly pressure gradient which resulted in winds

exceeding hurricane force in many places and record high tides.

Ambrose Light Station just southeast of New York City recorded

sustained winds of 80 mph with gusts to 93 mph. Wildwood

Crest, New Jersey reported gusts to 90 mph and New Holland,

Pennsylvania measured 82 mph gusts. In Philadelphia,

Pennsylvania, the high winds broke a church steeple which fell

onto and closed the Ben Franklin Bridge to New Jersey. Some of

the worst coastal flooding ever associated with a nor'easter

occurred as tides were pushed 3 to 6 feet above normal,

resulting in widespread damage and beach erosion. LaGuardia

Airport was closed due to flooding. The East River flooded

Manhattan's FDR Drive, stranding dozens of motorists. Flooding

at a Con Edison station shut down New York City's entire subway

system for more than 3 hours. Tremendous snowfalls occurred at

inland locations as the storm was a very slow mover. Piney

Dam, Maryland was buried under 42 inches of snow to set a new

state snowfall record for a single storm. Ogletown, Pennsylvania

measured 36 inches of snow and Mount Storm, West Virginia recorded

32 inches.

Euro Ens and GEFS are almost dead nuts on with landfall..Euro ens just a smidge sw near NYC..Pretty good agreement ...CMC Ens over SNE///That overall is remarkable agreement..tossing the op runs

The ero ensembles went over Phl...that's per Adam

Interesting radio show going on.

CoastalWx just dialed in.

I just checked the Radio Prediction Model.

Top five phrases in americanwx radio show

1. It's to early to tell

2. historic

3. devastating hit for someone

4. biggest threat is the surge

5. things can still change

Its the GGEM run.

But yeah, he's correct in that we have to remember this is still 4 days out. We are going to see a lot of weenie-esque reactions to every 25 mile jog in this thing.

gun to my head says ride the EC on this baby. I don't like it but I cannot deny it at this point.

Archived