• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

Nov 50 had an 80-85kt H85 LLJ over NY/New England while the mid/sfc lows moved through the Mid Atlantic. The 18z GFS has 75-80kt even down to H95 on the Cape at 108hr.

I think it'll be difficult to mix down anything impressive where I am, but the coast and interior high terrain in SNE should be pretty gusty at times.

I would agree with this. Also I think if a dry slot were to develop to the S thru SE of the low especially after landfall and it tracks W or better yet WNW u could see increased mixing/increased static stability to lower "heights"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can only hope that blocking stays extreme, Stay safe when are you going into emergency mode?

Sat prep all day at work, then hope for the best. Just kidding about the block. Tell ya this when Scooter posted that MJO amp what two weeks ago and I saw the AO tank man how I wished it was winter. You could almost see this coming. Even without Sandy being there this would be a cranking storm.

Some of these folks still do not understand , oh well, you and Scotter explained it very well. That LLJ is insane and Scooter great point about the winds staying up as it fills west, long duration pounding. I do want to add one thing. I think the models are undergoing QPF in the Berks, we all remember Pete and Mitch's 2010 mega QPF on a retro grading storm, that straight east -6 SD 850 wind is going to crank upslope for them.

Agreed. The rainfall bullseye is going to surprise some people, wherever it ends up. The wind damage and the rain damage could be miles apart.

We probably won't get a great handle on the exact wind potential until about 48 hours out. The models will often underdo the LLJ when you get a transitioning TC...this one is kind of on steroids of course with the warm seclusion and obscene jet energy. If the timing is correct on the phase and "tug" NW to WNW where it accelerates for about a 18 hour period...that is where you have to watch out for a 100 knot LLJ on the E side of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a place like ORH gust to 65 knots but I also wouldn't be shocked to see them not break 40 knots...it will just depend on where the storm decides to turn left and the angle of attack at the point of landfall.

Nov 50 had an 80-85kt H85 LLJ over NY/New England while the mid/sfc lows moved through the Mid Atlantic. The 18z GFS has 75-80kt even down to H95 on the Cape at 108hr.

I think it'll be difficult to mix down anything impressive where I am, but the coast and interior high terrain in SNE should be pretty gusty at times.

110 in Concord holy heck, warm seclusion event too.

The preceding atmospheric state was one of La Niña conditions, the cold phase of ENSO, which favors a storm track from the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys into the Appalachians.[3] The cyclone initially formed in southeast North Carolina near a cold front on the morning of November 24 as the main cyclone over the Great Lakes weakened. Rapid development ensued as the surface center began to migrate back into a closed 500 hPa (14.75 inHg)-level (around 6,000 m/20,000 ft above sea level) cyclone, and the cyclone bombed while moving north through Washington D.C. the next morning. The former occluded front to its northwest became a warm front which moved back to the west around the strengthening, and now dominant, southern low pressure center. By the evening of November 25, the cyclone retrograded, or moved northwestward, into Ohio due to a blocking ridge up across eastern Canada. It was at this time that the pressure gradient was its most intense across southern New England and eastern New York. The cyclone moved west over Lake Erie to the north of the upper cyclone before looping over Ohio as the low-level and mid-level cyclone centers coupled. Significant convection within its comma head led to the development of a warm seclusion, or a pocket of low level warm air, near its center which aided in further development due to the increased lapse rates a warmer low level environment affords under a cold low. After the system became stacked with height, the storm slowly spun down as it drifted north and northeast into eastern Canada over the succeeding few days.Sustained winds of 50-60 mph (80–100 km/h) with gusts to 83 miles per hour (134 km/h) were recorded at Albany, New York. A wind gust of 94 miles per hour (151 km/h) was recorded in New York City. Extensive damage was caused by the wind across New York, including massive tree fall and power outages.Coastal flooding breached dikes at LaGuardia Airport, flooding the runways. Flooding extended to New York City's Office of Emergency Management on the Lower East Side, in Manhattan.

lol but he is right.

right

anywhow

what i was getting at is how sketpical many offices were of the hard left turn (yesterday) , and even some mets, now with more model solutions showing it, i was asking a question as to wether people are as skeptical or buying it more. think outside the box, it doesn't have to be black and white. low confidence or high confidence, there is a spectrum and i'm trying to faciliate discussion on the matter with people who know their stuff. so basically i would like a pro mets answer, if possible.

110 in Concord holy heck, warm seculsion event too.

The preceding atmospheric state was one of La Niña conditions, the cold phase of ENSO, which favors a storm track from the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys into the Appalachians.[3] The cyclone initially formed in southeast North Carolina near a cold front on the morning of November 24 as the main cyclone over the Great Lakes weakened. Rapid development ensued as the surface center began to migrate back into a closed 500 hPa (14.75 inHg)-level (around 6,000 m/20,000 ft above sea level) cyclone, and the cyclone bombed while moving north through Washington D.C. the next morning. The former occluded front to its northwest became a warm front which moved back to the west around the strengthening, and now dominant, southern low pressure center. By the evening of November 25, the cyclone retrograded, or moved northwestward, into Ohio due to a blocking ridge up across eastern Canada. It was at this time that the pressure gradient was its most intense across southern New England and eastern New York. The cyclone moved west over Lake Erie to the north of the upper cyclone before looping over Ohio as the low-level and mid-level cyclone centers coupled. Significant convection within its comma head led to the development of a warm seclusion, or a pocket of low level warm air, near its center which aided in further development due to the increased lapse rates a warmer low level environment affords under a cold low. After the system became stacked with height, the storm slowly spun down as it drifted north and northeast into eastern Canada over the succeeding few days.Sustained winds of 50-60 mph (80–100 km/h) with gusts to 83 miles per hour (134 km/h) were recorded at Albany, New York. A wind gust of 94 miles per hour (151 km/h) was recorded in New York City. Extensive damage was caused by the wind across New York, including massive tree fall and power outages.Coastal flooding breached dikes at LaGuardia Airport, flooding the runways. Flooding extended to New York City's Office of Emergency Management on the Lower East Side, in Manhattan.

Steve is this the Vet's Day storm from the 1950s?

right

anywhow

what i was getting at is how sketpical many offices were of the hard left turn (yesterday) , and even some mets, now with more model solutions showing it, i was asking a question as to wether people are as skeptical or buying it more. think outside the box, it doesn't have to be black and white. low confidence or high confidence, there is a spectrum and i'm trying to faciliate discussion on the matter with people who know their stuff. so basically i would like a pro mets answer, if possible.

I am not a pro met but slept with one once. I do not think any angle is set in stone but if you remember Feb 2010 that was a west mover, in fact maybe west SW. This looks similar, just a friggin Berlin Wall block. FYI that thread was great, talk about epic meltdowns LOL.

right

anywhow

I'm still skeptical of that hard left turn, but I know you want to hear from a MET,

a gradual turn is my thinking but that does not mean even a SW turn after it's made the turn W.

110 in Concord holy heck

Really wish I was alive for that event.

KCON 260400Z 09049KT 1SM RA CLR 08/07 A//// RMK SLP064 P0025 T00830072

KCON 260500Z 04050KT 11/2SM -RA CLR 09/08 A//// RMK SLP034 P0019 T00890078

KCON 260600Z 04054KT 2SM -RA FG 09/08 A//// RMK SLP020 P0009 T00890078

KCON 260700Z 09052KT 11/2SM RA FG CLR 11/09 A//// RMK SLP000 P0013 T01060094

We probably won't get a great handle on the exact wind potential until about 48 hours out. The models will often underdo the LLJ when you get a transitioning TC...this one is kind of on steroids of course with the warm seclusion and obscene jet energy. If the timing is correct on the phase and "tug" NW to WNW where it accelerates for about a 18 hour period...that is where you have to watch out for a 100 knot LLJ on the E side of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a place like ORH gust to 65 knots but I also wouldn't be shocked to see them not break 40 knots...it will just depend on where the storm decides to turn left and the angle of attack at the point of landfall.

I konw it really isn't close to the same situation, but would a good example of this be the remnants of Hurricane Ike blasting the OV with 60-90 MPH wind gusts. I specifically remember that day, and nothing more than 30 MPH gusts being forecasted, and then the entire OV having hurricane force gusts.

I'm still skeptical of that hard left turn, but I know you want to hear from a MET,

a gradual turn is my thinking but that does not mean even a SW turn after it's made the turn W.

that's my thinking

unless i hear otherwise, i'm just gonna follow the euro/euro ens next few runs,

GFS seems like it's just chasin the euro on a delay, but who knows

that's my thinking

unless i hear otherwise, i'm just gonna follow the euro/euro ens next few runs,

GFS seems like it's just chasin the euro on a delay, but who knows

The GFS has adjusted, but the Euro can adjust north as well and they can meet in the middle...we have seen this with other storms.

I don't think a LI landfall is out of the question...

I konw it really isn't close to the same situation, but would a good example of this be the remnants of Hurricane Ike blasting the OV with 60-90 MPH wind gusts. I specifically remember that day, and nothing more than 30 MPH gusts being forecasted, and then the entire OV having hurricane force gusts.

But Ike passed to the north of the OV and thus you were south of the center. There was also more "sun" and greater mixing resulted thus the strong winds. Even here in Upstate NY the rems of the Storm tracked across the Adirondacks that following Monday morning and a brief 4-6 hour period of sustained 25-35 mph winds gusts to 50 mph resulted.

Archived