• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

That storm could trend warmer. Cold air will be cutoff, with NAO going + and -WPO retrograding 

NAO trending toward positive doesn’t mean we’ll have mixing issues. Maybe it happens, but it’s not the direct reason. We actually tend to do well at the tail end of a strong block when it begins to decay

Glancing over some of the LR ens and weeklies data, I'm really starting  to think this is just an appetizer and next week will be a test in patience for all of us. Has that look of a wild home stretch very late Jan thru much of Feb. I could be wrong, but the ens and weeklies have done really decent overall in predicting the longwave scheme this season. Shrink those wavelengths between systems in Feb and we may very well be looking at a wild finish this year. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, jayyy said:

NAO trending toward positive doesn’t mean we’ll have mixing issues. Maybe it happens, but it’s not the direct reason. We actually tend to do well at the tail end of a strong block when it begins to decay

Whole pattern is changing pretty fast at that point though. It looks like they want to reload the cold given by -WPO block. With the block retrograding and not reloading at that point though, it may not verify as cold as they currently have. 

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro and 6z gfs both in the 1-2” range. GGEM more. Maybe we can juice this up a bit as we get toward game time like with this event.

Either way if a solid 1-2 is shown on guidance it’s still snow on snow! Also it’s during the highest impact time Friday which helps with canceling school 

13 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Either way if a solid 1-2 is shown on guidance it’s still snow on snow! Also it’s during the highest impact time Friday which helps with canceling school 

That's all I need to get out of town early....please just a few inches falling during morning commute

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro and 6z gfs both in the 1-2” range. GGEM more. Maybe we can juice this up a bit as we get toward game time like with this event.

3-4 looks like max boom from what I'm seeing. Not sure there's enuff wiggle room for anything bigger. Good thing about the event is it will be instability driven moreso that lift/upglide. High ratio snow globe potential could bubble up as the upper level stuff moves overhead. If 12z globals all put down an inch or 2 today, we can prob bank on some amount of accum snow

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

3-4 looks like max boom from what I'm seeing. Not sure there's enuff wiggle room for anything bigger. Good thing about the event is it will be instability driven moreso that lift/upgrade. High ratio snow globe potential could bubble up as the upper level stuff moves overhead. If 12z globals all put down an inch or 2 today, we can prob bank on some amount of accum snow

It always makes me feel better when YOU say something like this...but I will never be able to feel locked into snow here this many days out :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It always makes me feel better when YOU say something like this...but I will never be able to feel locked into snow here this many days out :lol: 

The upper level feature isn't a phantom. It's on all guidance in about the same place. The tricky part from what I see is the 850 low pass. For example, 6z euro has a decent vort pass:

image.thumb.png.bec34617824e15e561879127d1b2d350.png

But the 850 low runs overhead. Boom scenario will likely be north of that. But for right now it's an overhead pass so much of our area isn't in the vigorous zone. 850 circ is parked right in the WV panhandle. Run that over EZF and we can get a little more excited. Right now, gun to head, 1-3" with some modest upside. 

image.thumb.png.23cbb9db6cbf9679dc40578734d7ec1a.png

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just at a glance but looks like the gfs, icon, and euro all just made big moves with this. Not saying huge but Def looks more significant 

We are a really streaky area for whatever reason. Long droughts followed by multiple condensed events is far more common than smooth evenly spaced winters. Prob magical thinking but imho, getting a nice event last night is a sign that Fri will work out "ok". My expectations are it will never look worse than 1-3 in general leading in and even though boom ingredients are largely absent, maybe it finds a way anyway just cuz. 

• Like 10

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic