Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

20 minutes ago, mappy said:

oh come on, that'd be fun! 2 days with 30 inches of snow, and mild temps the rest of the time. perfection. 

Agreed. Wall-to-wall winter like 13-14 or a monster season like 09-10 would be amazing, but if not, a huge storm and a mild winter with weather you can actually enjoy being outside would be great. The warm/wet, cold/dry winters are brutal.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Agreed. Wall-to-wall winter like 13-14 or a monster season like 09-10 would be amazing, but if not, a huge storm and a mild winter with weather you can actually enjoy being outside would be great. The warm/wet, cold/dry winters are brutal.

... i wasn't actually being serious. sorry for the confusion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Agreed. Wall-to-wall winter like 13-14 or a monster season like 09-10 would be amazing, but if not, a huge storm and a mild winter with weather you can actually enjoy being outside would be great. The warm/wet, cold/dry winters 

I'll take cold and dry over mild during the winter all day. We have 3 out of 4 seasons that already give us primarily mild weather. Love when we get one of those extended super cold periods like we had in early January 2018. Loved going out to see how frozen the bodies of water were around town. Only get potential for true winter weather for 2, maybe 3, months of the year. I'm trying to soak it up! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

When all guidance starts showing compressed heights in the east oriented WSW-ENE.... I get stoked... I'm pretty stoked :tomato:

These are the upper level height patterns that can produce snow with just about any wave. Not just a perfectly timed one or second in line or whatever. I know u know this up and down. Just adding to the disco 

Classic TN valley overrunner setup lol. Textbook 

image.thumb.png.67d82755d8ff658439dda746a8ae66eb.png

image.thumb.png.1a4a25e3e4cd104a7652a9591982212d.png

When Bob Chill adds to the disco you all better look out! 

Yep. If you go back and look at the majority of our colder/all snow events (not just big ones), there is typically some form of confluence (or compressed heights running laterally) overhead or to the north. 

The compression in the upper levels causes of a number of positive ingredients for MA snowfall. Most importantly, it fights off southerly flow in the mids. Confluence causes surface hp to form below it due to air smashing into itself lol. Surface HP keeps mid level flow more northerly. So you have the beautiful combo of warm/moist air streaming in from the SW in the upper levels and colder northerly flow in the mids/surface leading in. Upper level stream hits a wall and turns right due to confluence. That creates extra lift and precipitation. It also often creates a sharp cutoff somewhere. Usually around or just north of Philly. These setups are our favorites but not everyone's lol. 

ETA: wanted to clarify cutoff and storm track disco. Any big storm can punch a hole in just about any block depending on details. Any big storm can draw in enough Atlantic air to cause precipitation problems. But more typical stuff can get bullied pretty easily. If active flow undercuts the potential dome of upper level HP in Canada like guidance is suggesting.... we can snow a lot of different ways and not rely on needles and threads and stuff. Big storms have always and will always be nailbiters. We aren't new England no matter how big the block is unless 2010 walks in the door again lol. 

Absolutely top form.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GEFS looks fine to me. You can really start seeing all levels cool off in Canada as the run progresses. The 850 blowtorch up there is moderating a ton towards the end of the run. Cold air slowly bleeding south looks good to me. 

Yep. EPO ridge with an assist from the TPV lobes getting it done. Follow the flow.

1704348000-ky1iOv1ohAA.png

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

What a surprise. The typical folks have shown up after this GFS run.

The only thing that matters to me on that GFS Run was that there is a large storm.  The storm is in two pieces but its a typical GFS thing to misunderstand the split of energy in a split flow. I am sure that the idea is one consolidated low east of the Delmarva instead which would net you a 1-2 foot snowstorm possibly more if there is decent blocking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Read once many years ago on the CPC site that models struggle mightily during times of pattern change. Don’t know if that still applies. We would seem to be entering a good period near the end of the month. I can remember many winters that basically didn’t start until then. I remember 76-77 was about 75 degrees the first weekend in January in swva and then we went into a remarkable deep freeze and snow literally every third day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

While everyone’s discussing the 300 hour GFS 

GEPS was a noice run 

Oh no! An Aleutian ridge

The LR pattern is "ok", the heights are kind of low despite being somewhat favorable in the index areas. We have not, since the El Nino developed, seen a long sustained +PNA, so let's see what happens. I'm a little worried about the roll forward Dec +EPO-Upper Midwest warm look.  If the pattern changes and blocking develops up north great, but the Aleutian low looks favorable for 4 days then it phases out a bit on the current models.    The roll forward is a -PNA look, so this is the make or break time.. all global models showed a cold January, and this is the time it should happen if it's going to happen (LR ensembles are at Jan 4-5+)

• Weenie 1