Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

2 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

I’m headed to Sarasota on Saturday for 4 days. We need a weather reset button, we are in a serious rut brother. Gonna keep hope alive though 

I really didn’t think we’d be headed down this road. Might still turn around.  Might.  Meh.  Thought that last year too.  Have fun down there.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

So because I’m a hobbyist, my friends sometimes ask me about the outlook for snow, as they did tonight.

I rely on the long range threads here to some extent to get a feel. Plus common sense, reading trusted voices on twitter, and my own access to ensembles.

Tonight, when posed with the question about our snow chances, I told a story. I told them about how there’s this weather forum where people discuss the long range forecasts for signs of potential snowstorms. And i told them that for the last few years, they had to create a separate thread called “The Panic Room” where people who loved snow could go to have a meltdown without disrupting the discussion.

They got a kick out of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, paulythegun said:

So because I’m a hobbyist, my friends sometimes ask me about the outlook for snow, as they did tonight.

I rely on the long range threads here to some extent to get a feel. Plus common sense, reading trusted voices on twitter, and my own access to ensembles.

Tonight, when posed with the question about our snow chances, I told a story. I told them about how there’s this weather forum where people discuss the long range forecasts for signs of potential snowstorms. And i told them that for the last few years, they had to create a separate thread called “The Panic Room” where people who loved snow could go to have a meltdown without disrupting the discussion.

They got a kick out of that.

Dude.. You're not susposed to tell normal people about about this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I think there has to be some countenance given to the idea that eastern snow climo is degrading in the post 2016 years. Some of us have had a couple good periods in that time, but even up to SNE has been hurting in a location that much more resistant to the effects of marginal patterns. 

It’s not solely the lower mid MA, though you guys have unfortunately had the rawest end of the stick so far it seems. 

My personal position is that we’re in a period of amplification. The few good years will really be bonanzas, but the length of time between them may be increasing especially as we’re in an unfavorable decadal cycle. The bad years will be worse than normal, as we face more temperature problems that degrade what would’ve been perhaps a couple inches here and there otherwise. 

I know NYC is not your area, but it’s been demonstrated how that city is entering a “boom or bust” pattern where either we get a ton of snow or very little to nothing, which is a definite change over how things worked in previous decade with more average or near average seasons in the mix. 

Something *is* changing, but the ultimate end result of that is unknowable at this juncture IMHO. I would expect a few more blockbuster seasons for the East as we move forward, but perhaps with a lower frequency than in the past. The 2000’s to 2010’s may have just been a favorable decadal period that leveraged warming in a productive way, and now it’s going the other direction for however long. 

A lot of the big years recently seemed to have unusually favorable teleconnection spreads, which probably would have been massive years in earlier decades as well. I think @psuhoffmanhas shown how earlier decades used to produce more snow with less favorable teleconnections. 

If we’re not seeing “as much” snow now with less favorable teleconnections, while also demonstrably having warmer winter seasons, that to me suggests a change. It’ll take more time to deduce both the  magnitude and permanence of that change, but IMHO that’s a rational position to take while considering all factors. 

I believe we’ll see big winters again when everything goes right, but the question is what will continue to happen in the years where everything isn’t 100% right but we should otherwise still be getting snow? 

I echo a lot of PSU’s sentiments and find them well reasoned, but we still need more time to evaluate. This is a long stretch of dung for many, but could still be in part due to just unfavorable decadal cycles and bad luck. To truly determine how much of the other factor is the driving problem will require, unfortunately, more elapsed time / winters. But (and this is a big but), I do agree and believe that other factor is a significant part of it as planetary warming has accelerated in the last few years. 

IMHO. 

Hoping this winter ends up at least serviceable for you and the rest of us. Try to stay open minded, optimistic but also grounded, and willing to consider all positions that are well founded and backed by data. There’s a wealth of information and individual positions across these forums.

• Like 6

There  is an easy way to solve the  no snow and  cold  panic and ensure we get snow  and  cold. Instead  of  calling the  period  of  dec-feb winter, call  it  hurricane season. That way we will fool the weather and  it  will place a deep trof  along the east  coast  thinking  it really  is  hurricane season. Problem solved. We all know whats going to happen. Eventually we will get a  perfect  pattern for  winter, during spring and summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paleocene said:

Driving i-95 south through Maine this morning. 34 and rain. And least they fail up here too

Whatever is afflicting us is gonna afflict them too...that's the crazy part. Like the snow climo of the entire northeast may have taken a hit all at once, smh (Well, at least we're not alone, lol)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ji said:

So the truth is…..deep down…no one thought this winter would be like this so far

The vision was

A cold late November early December with a snow window

A mid month warmup but not bad +2 at the worst but the pattern would be changing by Dec 20

Then our best chance for our white Christmas in years

A chance for a winter storm late December early January with the best of our Nino winter still ahead of us

40 inch winter on the way

I certainly thought by the first week of January we'd be cold enough if the storm track was south of us.

Honestly the entire temp profile is really disappointing so far

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Whatever is afflicting us is gonna afflict them too...that's the crazy part. Like the snow climo of the entire northeast may have taken a hit all at once, smh (Well, at least we're not alone, lol)

I feel really bad for all the ski resorts up and down the Eastern US. Those folks are taking a massive hit on revenue. It's tough when there is just no snow, and it's too warm. What's really bad is its too mild to make snow. Wisp looks so forlorn.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic