• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

Part of the reason our climate is warming is due to all the hot air being blown around in these forums. 

In all seriousness, though, all those who truly believe this winter(or all winters moving forward) are dead, do yourselves a favor and step away from the models and the forums. If you are 100% sure of what's coming, then there's absolutely no reason to keep looking. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

Yeah we are in the rain only phase. Except in places like the Southwest where it will get hotter and much much drier with time. Everyone is moving to Texas but that will change once the water runs out. Then they will be flocking to places like New Orleans and the central Gulf states where they get 50 plus inches a year without breaking a sweat.

In the meantime, hail mary topic is running, last ditch effort to shore up hopes. I am truly a deb now. That topic will unfortunately get Lucy'd as well. I have many other hobbies besides snow.

Winter is Coming? Yeah, the cold rain is coming - and lots of it for the East, naso much for Texas. We will be dry and sunny.

I'll be debbing and debbing and debbing from now on. Winter IS over, even before NYE.

All those people who have tripled the metropolitan populations of Dallas, Austin and Houston in the last 30 years will move to New Orleans where it at least will rain. But by then surface water temps in the gulf will average 107 degrees in the winter and category 6 ultracanes will demolish the very memory of our civilization in that region. At least up here in the mid atlantic our nighttime lows will still get down to 57 in January!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Part of the reason our climate is warming is due to all the hot air being blown around in these forums. 

In all seriousness, though, all those who truly believe this winter(or all winters moving forward) are dead, do yourselves a favor and step away from the models and the forums. If you are 100% sure of what's coming, then there's absolutely no reason to keep looking. 

Triggered!!!!

This is a deb safe space, be gone with your treachery and polyanna ways!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

We still have time, though it’s pretty concerning that so many places east of the Mississippi have struggled to get any cold or snow. I’d feel better about things if there were signs that we weren’t stuck in a prolonged Autumn. However…next week does look more wintry from an air temp perspective.
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

All those people who have tripled the metropolitan populations of Dallas, Austin and Houston in the last 30 years will move to New Orleans where it at least will rain. But by then surface water temps in the gulf will average 107 degrees in the winter and category 6 ultracanes will demolish the very memory of our civilization in that region. At least up here in the mid atlantic our nighttime lows will still get down to 57 in January!

there's no snow - Meme - MemesHappen

• Haha 5

Panic Room is for debs. And I am definitely a deb. And I will deb, and deb, and deb, and deb, and deb, and deb! Everyone will begin to refer to me as the Debman. Its because I am a Deb, and see nothing but utter broken hopelessness concerning the weather and its devastating consequences for mankind from now on, with absolutely no mercy. It will not spare, not one little bit! Warming in the climate has advanced to the point where you can hear the sound of Inevitability. You can see it, too. No significant snows in the Mid Atlantic in over SEVEN FRACKING YEARS! It is not the 7 years of famine! It may well be 700 years! Planet is warming dramatically, winter is long gone and summers particularly in the south are becoming a real problem. No rain at all to be had and highs averaging in the lower to middle hundred single digits are becoming routine. Back east, no snow at all and incredible amounts of torrential rain, flooding and devastated ski slopes are becoming routine. It will not only not stop, it will get much, much worse. Even in the western ski resorts, storms spin out at sea hardly giving any snow to places like Palisades and Mammoth. Those ski resorts are being reduced to making artificial snow just to barely survive. Same thing in the Northeast in places like Vermont, It just isnt the same any more. Global Warming/Climate Change is wreaking severe havoc throughout America. Storms are flooding those places with so damn much rainfall, its not only destroying the snowpack, it is actually producing severe damage to the grounds, eroding deep gullies in many a ski slope trail and leaving huge pools of mud and water and huge fooking boulders! This is costing the ski resorts prohibitive amounts of money and if it keeps up, which it will, many ski resorts WILL close down forever. The climate changes will force devastatingly inconvenient truth upon many throughout the world. We have passed a critical tipping point long long ago. Laugh if you wish. Because by and by, you will be fully convinced of it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RIC_WX said:

It doesn’t really look like it will be cold enough to fire the snow guns before Sunday night either.  I am sure they are going to try and stay open this weekend at wisp but this fog and mid 40s temps is for sure going to eat the snowpack alive, whatever is remaining over there.  A sad reprisal of 2021 it appears for new years.

It’s crazy how this is the 3rd year in a row with rain/mild temps in the mountains between Christmas and New Years.  Hopefully the ski resorts can cash in over MLK and President’s Day to make up lost business.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Lol  Honesty though it does feel like snow is going to be hard to come by for a while. I try to stay positive but there does seem to be a disconnect.  No storm and cold enough or storm but too warm. We shall see.

Going to deep creek to ski in late January. Can't count on snow around these parts. Gotta get my fix somehow lol.

You may need to head to Alaska. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paleocene said:

I bought a new snow shovel in December 2020 and have yet to use it, lol

We keep buying snowpants for our kids and then donate them every year cause they never got worn. It’s becoming an annual tradition. :lol:

Eta: in fact for our youngest two we bought rain suits cause they like to play in the rain. Those got a lot of use already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Well probably never see that again in these parts.

I am starting to agree with you. We just cannot get cold air on this side of the hemisphere regardless of enso. We'll see how the rest of this winter goes. But I fear we wont score much snow here anymore without bombs. And that is no way to chase snow. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am starting to agree with you. We just cannot get cold air on this side of the hemisphere regardless of enso. We'll see how the rest of this winter goes. But I fear we wont score much snow here anymore without bombs. And that is no way to chase snow. 

If you toggle back 4 runs on the op GFS at around 288 hrs it basically looks the same…some differences but massive trough in the west with snow down to Baja CA and huge ridge in the east.  I know we are supposed to follow the GEFS but man it’s hard not to worry about that 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I do think it's a red flag there's not much digital blue at all in the East.

When we are cold enough waves are shredded and when they Amp up we're on the warm side.  Don't like seeing that on the models. 

I know we should follow the Esembles but it's been days since an OP has shown us getting any  snow at all. To me thars telling.

• Like 1

I’ve started to accept we just don’t do snow anymore this side of the country. The GFS could show it being -2 Fahrenheit here for 10 days straight from days 10-20 and I wouldn’t believe it. Even then it would be our luck that it would be so cold everything would be suppressed to Rio De Janeiro 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic