Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice dong of a low there offshore. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Really close to getting the shaft

After all these years I finally get a descriptive understanding /meaning of ‘shooting blanks’. Thank you ECMWF. Stay well everyone, as always. …..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On this date, 31 years ago ... I witnessed an usual occurrence from my dormitory attending college at UML.  It was during the 1992 Nor'easter, a top 3 all time personal storm experience favorite. Ironically .. while skulking around Youtube over lunch today, I happened across this random video from (apparently) State College, PA. At first I thought how much that reminds me of ...'wait!' That was today! - felt as though I was meant to remember.

It's just a snow squall ...but the speed in which the heavy snow column took over the scenery is remarkably similar to what I observed that faithful night of the 11th.  Only, the interface I witnessed was not a transition from clear air to snow...  it was wind driven heavy sheets of cold rain, demarcated by a single massive flash of lightning and the report, just prior to the flash over from silvery night right to dimly orbed street lamps through whirling snow.  I watched as the sky transformed, transfixed, as I wasn't entirely certain what it was in fact I was seeing.  I'd seen squalls do this... not during Nor'easters.  The next dawn we awoke to 17"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Sell at this range 

It's like the models, having unwittingly been engineered with climate tendencies prior to the 'hockey stick' era of global warming, are constantly 'realizing' the predicament and making adjustments- gives the allusion to kicking the winter can

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's like the models, having unwittingly engineered with climate tendencies prior to the 'hockey stick' era of global warming, are constantly 'realizing' the predicament and making adjustments- gives the allusion to kicking the winter can

this would help. potent signal for significant weakening, if not an actual SSW in early Jan. the -QBO is putting in work

IMG_3664.png.9b552c5a85fed2ae9d100da66b54ebd6.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this would help. potent signal for significant weakening, if not an actual SSW in early Jan. the -QBO is putting in work

IMG_3664.png.9b552c5a85fed2ae9d100da66b54ebd6.png

Perhaps ... Kind of hard to separate the two from this range, though. Considering that SSW's are correlated more so with -QBOs anyway -

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i just consider warming to be a SSW when 10mb mean zonal winds become easterly

Warm intrusions happen frequently.   Semantics but "sudden" stratospheric warming could apply to any of those.   The difference is in whether or not they are of sufficient mass and even more so, whether they are down welling.  

When a warm region comes into detection, there's a fairly large consortium of social media personalities and Mets alike that don't make it abundantly clear they know the difference, because they immediately rush out the alarms.  ...not sure why I'm telling you this... just ranting I guess.  

Anyway, here's the difference between the two.  Top are static warm intrusions.  Bottom is a pig down weller. 

image.thumb.png.7e98184cf69441d5b87edac8a8c3a0e0.png

image.thumb.png.43dd95e690e2684d38cf50f03fb38d0f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Maybe the "No changes" crew was right after all?

They're not citing reasons why in a lot of cases - at least when I read those posts and or tweets etc...

It seems they are really just hand waving and giving into persistence.  It has it's value  ... until it doesn't.  But it hides not really having any special insight that transcends anyone else that dares venture outside the safety of both persistence, but who isn't just being a neg-head.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Maybe the "No changes" crew was right after all?

Watching those blues show up from North of Alaska the whole way down through California in the long range is definitely bringing back rough memories from last year around this time....

I sort of miss watching Weather world on PBS, hoping to see their snow icon in their "long range" forecasts. It has been so long I can barely remember what it looked like.  There was no Euro weeklies/monthly forecasts, just possibilities/chances back then. No punting full months in advance.....

• Like 1