EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Remember it well.

Gloucester 28"?? WTF....

I think that report was Ipswich, MA....I always discounted it because it was such an outlier. I also feel like their map was light over interior N Middlesex county where most places had around 18-20"

December1992_snowfall_revised.PNG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They don;t have the lag we do out there in most spots.

noaa-coldest-day-of-year.jpg

I just checked Denver average temps and saw December had the coldest average highs . What drives that difference in less lag time with regard to sun angle  ? Elevation ? Or do they respond very fast on the other end (improving sun angle in mid to late winter )

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think that report was Ipswich, MA....I always discounted it because it was such an outlier. I also feel like their map was light over interior N Middlesex county where most places had around 18-20"

Their CT map is terrible too. I measured 18” at my wife’s parents house after that . I had 6” in Vernon and remember driving up there in disbelief.  So many trees and lines down . Where have these types of storms gone? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Their CT map is terrible too. I measured 18” at my wife’s parents house after that . I had 6” in Vernon and remember driving up there in disbelief.  So many trees and lines down . Where have these types of storms gone? 

Hibernation....just  like they had during the decade leading up to that one.

15 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I remember a real bad year here they were setting records, that's why I look up there sometimes. Was it 2012 we were in the 70s in March?

Yeah I think they probably had over 400 inches in 2011-12.  But even when it’s good here they get way more than we can even fantasize.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That was the last one . 31 years is not normal . Just like we don’t get canes anymore . Something is going on . 

Well, I feel like that kind of coastal devastation again so soon on the heels of the Blizzard of '78 and the Perfect Storm was the anomaly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I feel like that kind of coastal devastation again so soon on the heels of the Blizzard of '78 and the Perfect Storm was the anomaly.

Yeah those storms don't come often. That wasn't just wet snow, it was coastal and fresh water flooding along with wind.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Great storm to the coast here in SW CT. Rain followed by heavy wet snow. Measured 6 in Norwalk CT coastal CT Ct.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Huh? Dec '92 was a generational storm...they aren't supposed to be common.

I understand that aspect of it but we just don’t get these tremendous elevation storms like we used to . I don’t mean ones like MLK where I lost it or a 3” event . I  mean storms where the hills get 12-16” and the valley and coasts get half or less. 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I understand that aspect of it but we just don’t get these tremendous elevation storms like we used to . I don’t mean ones like MLK where I lost it or a 3” event . I  mean storms where the hills get 12-16” and the valley and coasts get half or less. 

There were about 4 of those in S NH last year . Skunked in ASH , temple to mont Vernon  buried 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think they happen as often as you think they do. It’s more like you get a 2-4” event and valley or coast gets little. 

It just seems like so many storms now are 27-28 powder inland and your area loses half the pine population with paste. I realize if it’s paste here, you’re rain .. but they just don’t happen as much as they used to. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It just seems like so many storms now are 27-28 powder inland and your area loses half the pine population with paste. I realize if it’s paste here, you’re rain .. but they just don’t happen as much as they used to. 

I dunno, we've had some paste bombs recently inland....Mar 2023 (though I know your area mostly missed that...it was more ORH county)....Mar 7-8, 2018 was one. 12/5/20 was a 10" paste bomb in ORH....I think you mixed a lot but still had 6 or 7". Those are all in the last 5-6 years. Feb 1, 2021 was pretty pasty for the second half of the storm....coast got skunked pretty bad.

But if you're looking for 20-30" of paste inland, you aren't going to find it very often....Dec '92 is the top example. Be glad you lived to see it.

• Thanks 1