Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

They actually bring a lot of positive weather contributions....its just that they are viewing it through a different lens then some of us and a more accurate lens, as it turns out for this month.

Very rarely.  

And don’t come in here from Jersey and NYC and try and spoon crap up.   Ya..that pisses me off.  Come in here and contribute something of substance, and it’s great..like Ant.

They’re also viewing it from a mid Atlantic lens, which isn’t accurate for us in quite a few instances.  Point is, just don’t be a spoon, and we’re all good. That’s not too much to ask. I wouldn’t go there, and be a spoon. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Very rarely.  

And don’t come in here from Jersey and NYC and try and spoon crap up.   Ya..that pisses me off.  Come in here and contribute something of substance, and it’s great..like Ant.

They’re also viewing it from a mid Atlantic lens, which isn’t accurate for us in quite a few instances.  Point is, just don’t be a spoon, and we’re all good. That’s not too much to ask. I wouldn’t go there, and be a spoon. 

I don't agree with you......TBH I think Allsnow and Bluewave contribute more than Anthony....nothing against him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Well we are in different sides there and that’s fine. I don’t know blue wave. But I do know Allsnow..and he’s a spoon. 

Allsnow has been around a long time and adds valuable input.  Let’s face it-a shitty pattern for them is usually shitty for us though not as.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hopefully next year with what may presumably be a high ACE la nina, instead of last season, which was a high ASS la nina.

@Damage In Tolland, ACE is Accumulated Cyclone Energy...its a measure of tropical activity. There is fairly strong correlation between the ACE of the previous Atlantic tropical season and the character of the subtropical ridge during the ensuing winter season during a La Nina. You want high ACE preceding la Nina winters in the east. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Huh? Dec '92 was a generational storm...they aren't supposed to be common.

Just look at Decembers going all the way back.  I don't think one's going to find many 20+ snow inland with land-deforming ocean-pummeling on the coast, in that month, too often. 

There's also an "experiential relativity" that is connected to modeling performance, too. 1992 was on the cusp of more refined generation of new tools, but not yet.  It would really take another 10 years or so. 

So ... not only was the empirical size and power of that event rare against history, it still happened in a time when shock was still of a possibility to occur.  One could even argue ... it is perhaps even more so a jolt to reality to be led along by a busting forecast portrait conveyed by 1980s and '90s weather-related graphic. Sometimes it is better to just be always on alert, like prior generations.

When we are soaked for days with the specter of modeling illustrations pointing to a macabre bomb, ... by the time the storm in question happens, we don't get that shock and awe factor - memories are designed accordingly.

You may ( or not.. ) recall in that 'docu-drama' story I wrote for the forum years ago that portrait the the 1992 storm experience while up in college, the first "chapter" involved sitting in a class with a fellow Met student. The scene was just prior to an inCREdibly boring session of Hist of American Lit 102; an elective for her, as I was only temporarily a Liberal Arts major so to beef up my prerequisites.   Before the consummately late professor arrived gave the opportunity ...  she said, "We were just up gathered in the Weather Lab.  We're not so sure about rain vs snow"  That was some 3 days before the event.

That was just 72 hours prior, and forecasts for our local area was still a heavy, wind driven rainy Nor'easter.  Yeah, okay ... that ultimately was a night off the streets.  Who cares. It was Dec in our climate.  17.5" of snow, the top 2/3rds of which was pulverized wind driven fin-drifted powder, later, definitely made that forecast shockingly bad. It was a giNORmous positive debacle of a bust. 

To be fair, we did get probably 2.5" of cold big drop ( probably there were cat paws embedded by 2 or 3 pm the afternoon before the snow wall shock transition swept over the campus later that evening) first.  SO yeah... it did heavy rain for awhile.

We weren't considering snow at all, I know that much.  Credit to the technology arm of today's Meteorological enterprise: It is very difficult to get a storm as big as that, under the awareness radar, since probably ...I wanna say 2005? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

WTH is a spoon? I know back in the day it was Forky's significant other lol

Spoon is somebody who stirs the pot/stirs up trouble.  

It’s fine if you guys think he is of value…I don’t however.

The guy wouldn’t even “like” Wills great post yesterday, about what may be happening here in December, but the very next post, which was a negative post, he was all over like flies on crap, with a like. That speaks volumes to me.

A very good and informative post by a very knowledgeable MET, he doesn’t like, but the very next post after Wills, which was a negative one, the like goes right up. So I haven’t seen a lot of value, that’s why I feel the way I do. 

I’ll leave it at that. And I’m fine if some guys feel otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Spoon is somebody who stirs the pot/stirs up trouble.  

It’s fine if you guys think he is of value…I don’t however.

The guy wouldn’t even “like” Wills great post yesterday, about what may be happening here in December, but the very next post, which was a negative post, he was all over like flies on crap, with a like. That speaks volumes to me.

A very good and informative post by a very knowledgeable MET, he doesn’t like, but the very next post after Wills, which was a negative one, the like goes right up. So I haven’t seen a lot of value, that’s why I feel the way I do. 

I’ll leave it at that. And I’m fine if some guys feel otherwise. 

Well, I think most of us "like" posts that are congruent with our own beliefs....how many of those PAC jet posts do you like? :lol: Maybe he didn't agree with Will...it doesn't mean that he doesn't respect him.

• Like 1