Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That’s reasonable, I went 4-8” for starters here.

Got a new (to us) groomer to try out this winter, we still have an icy crust left, hoping for around 6-8 inches so I can drag an old bridge into a big water hole to fill it and get out and cut blowdowns on sleds. New sled hopefully will be here before Christmas. Definitely feels and looks as though we may break the trend of the past 3 crappy winters hopefully. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Sorry for late reply, but short answer is yes.  That does not mean tweaks don't have to be made, but overall I prefer the euro evolution in the short and medium range terms...  

Agreed ...the Euro began a lean into a better fitted solution for the erstwhile telecon behavior - but also the observed mass field/synoptic evolution during the period - about 5 days ago at this point. 

Just wanna add for the general reader.  I suspect the GFS may not do as well in a warm ENSO hemisphere *IF* the longer term correlation of tending to meridian flow types/coupling transpires.  The La Nina was perhaps its recent hay-day during times when the hemisphere was more coupled.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You can see this coming....people are going to get very impatient if nothing is imminent by mid month because the residual frustration from last season is still fresh. If you feel the urge to cancel winter and melt in December, then I would consider stepping away.

I saw what was coming and canceled early last year. This year however I think anything here imby before January 15 is gravy. No reason for panic or concern. Really just want decent upper level progression and an advisory event or two in December. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya that’s a nice little hit…could be trending in a positive direction? We track. 

Always been a type of signal for that time period but expectations are tempered. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

Got a new (to us) groomer to try out this winter, we still have an icy crust left, hoping for around 6-8 inches so I can drag an old bridge into a big water hole to fill it and get out and cut blowdowns on sleds. New sled hopefully will be here before Christmas. Definitely feels and looks as though we may break the trend of the past 3 crappy winters hopefully. 

Last winter was awful for temps but just fine for snow here, and thanks to the big dump in mid-December, was AN for SDDs as well.  Could've done without the 2nd mega-Grinch in 3 years, however.  A nice thump in early December and no Grinch would be an excellent start.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I saw what was coming and canceled early last year. This year however I think anything here imby before January 15 is gravy. No reason for panic or concern. Really just want decent upper level progression and an advisory event or two in December. 

Always been a type of signal for that time period but expectations are tempered. 

Well, you were lucky considering what happened in March.

15 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i know the Pacific isn’t ideal at this point, but seeing the persistent -NAO signal is awesome to see for the rest of the winter

IMG_3603.thumb.png.5bd921cf3a1c6bb781063a7363321467.png

That’s pretty damn typical of sig EL Nino years though.

Not an “out on a limb” forecast by any stretch but it looks like another have/have not season with much of interior NNE/coldest points of CNE doing quite well (AN snowfall) but persistent p type issues for the rest, BN snowfall.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That’s pretty damn typical of sig EL Nino years though.

Not an “out on a limb” forecast by any stretch but it looks like another have/have not season with much of interior NNE/coldest points of CNE doing quite well (AN snowfall) but persistent p type issues for the rest, BN snowfall.

strong to super Ninos have a pretty significant dearth of blocking in December. it is unusual to see a persistent -NAO this early 

Ninos that do have -NAO Decembers carry it over through the rest of the winter more than not, though

IMG_3605.png.e93f95fed684911d34082f0c0bc5758c.png

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Maybe we don't cash in on it....depends on how it breaks, but we should see some big blocks IMO.

51 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I agree. Below are monthly AO averages following Novembers where the AO fell to -2.500 or below during the last week of the month, as happened this year.

image.png.d08f7e341a2ee564419399fe91e09199.png

• Thanks 2

GYX just in the past few minutes let part of their hazardous weather outlook drop for the coast and a swath of southern NH. Wonder if they don't buy it? GYX seems to have been very conservative with their snowfall forecasts the past few years.