• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another big Sept rain event between roughly midnight Friday morning and midnight Sunday morning (bulk 9/29-30/2023)

wdrag

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I don’t care how good your seal is, when water is coming out of your outlet things aren’t going well.

That’s the scary thing about flooding. The water will always find a way in. I can remember getting flooded out of my basement apartment in LB during the remnants of Agnes back in 72.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Same. Not expecting more than another 1-2 inches. Will bring me to 3-4” total. Models nailed it 

It’s absolutely pouring here and I’m over 2” now per radar. Heavy rain goes back to around Westbury and it’s not moving fast. We won’t get what the city/Nassau got but we’re in for a rough couple hours. 

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The HRRR and HREF did a fantastic job.

I mean, it is all relative. Didnt some of these models have a widespread 10 inch plus? you can basically wipe your behind with that number.

If 10 inches meant “you will get a lot” then they did a great job. But in actual numbers the numbers we were looking at were ridiculously inflated. Thank god for that btw

• Weenie 5

Just now, the_other_guy said:

I mean, it is all relative. Didnt some of these models have a widespread 10 inch plus? you can basically wipe your behind with that number.

If 10 inches meant “you will get a lot” then they did a great job. But in actual numbers the numbers we were looking at were ridiculously inflated. Thank god for that btw

I didn't see widespread 10 inches.   HRRR Long range yesterday had the big totals over NYC and western LI which is exactly what happened...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

There are plenty of spots that have reported 7-8 inches so far and it's not over yet. 

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

HRRR did go too crazy yesterday but 8-9” is nothing to sneeze at. The models nailed the potential and general location of the greatest threat. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It’s absolutely pouring here and I’m over 2” now per radar. Heavy rain goes back to around Westbury and it’s not moving fast. We won’t get what the city/Nassau got but we’re in for a rough couple hours. 

My backyard is a lake & my front side yard has a moat with my neighbor.  4.31" now and pouring in Syosset.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

First, the mean placement around NYC was spot on. Second, they have two maps. The ensemble mean was a little on the low side. And the max potential a little on high side. So highest amounts so  far over 8” is a pretty good forecast when you blend the mean and max. Plus the radar estimates have been on the low side and there could be some areas that have close to 10.00”. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

First, the mean placement around NYC was spot on. Second, they have two maps. The ensemble mean was a little on the low side. And the max potential a little on high side. So highest amounts so  far over 8” is a pretty good forecast when you blend the mean and max. Plus the radar estimates have been on the low side and there could be some areas that have close to 10.00”. 

The HREF mean was a little low if anything, I think it was 5-6” in the heaviest area. The max was closer to correct where it had 10” amounts. I’m sure many in S Nassau will have 7-9” and JFK is over 8”. Rockaways look like the worst where radar estimates 10”. And this isn’t over-there won’t be heavy rain after the firehose passes but enough to maybe add 0.25” or so.