• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another big Sept rain event between roughly midnight Friday morning and midnight Sunday morning (bulk 9/29-30/2023)

wdrag

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Me too, moved out of Lb in June 2012, I had 6” of water in the apartment during Irene, so likely several feet during sandy.

with this current event the handicap women who lives below me in lynbrook had 5’ of water. I lost most of my pride and joy veggie garden, which is trivial in comparison. I’m currently at my dads in wantagh dealing with his basement as he’s in Spain. Not a fun 2 days for me, after dealing with flooding for 12 hours at work on the uws yesterday. Unfortunately this is our new normal. 

Sorry to hear about all that. The Sandy surge stopped 2-3 inches below coming into my old apartment which I had moved out of months before. Several of my neighbors that lived in older houses that weren’t on a higher foundation flooded. I can also remember a flash flood around the fall of 2015 that flooded a friends basement in Wantagh. I believe it was a back building thunderstorm that stalled right over Wantagh. I agree this was much rarer back in the old days.

24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Sorry to hear about all that. The Sandy surge stopped 2-3 inches below coming into my old apartment which I had moved out of months before. Several of my neighbors that lived in older houses that weren’t on a higher foundation flooded. I can also remember a flash flood around the fall of 2015 that flooded a friends basement in Wantagh. I believe it was a back building thunderstorm that stalled right over Wantagh. I agree this was much rarer back in the old days.

The Aug 2011 flood before Irene will always be memorable in Long Beach. Irene of course was bad too. This one ranks right up there. Finally some sun trying to come out. 

But this rain wasn’t “unprecedented” and we’ll see this again within a few years, so whatever the city has to do in order to prepare, should make that happen. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Aug 2011 flood before Irene will always be memorable in Long Beach. Irene of course was bad too. This one ranks right up there. Finally some sun trying to come out. 

If Monroe was this bad, then I am sure that the area around Laurelton and Lido Blvd was even worse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rjay said:

Valley Stream 9.06
NYC/JFK Airport 8.65
East Rockaway 7.90
Howard Beach 7.86
Bellerose 7.41
South Slope 7.35
CWOP Brooklyn 7.34
OZONE PARK 7.33
CWOP Little Neck 6.91
Prospect Park 6.73
New Rochelle 6.49
Great Neck 6.48
Hewlett 6.34
1 N Bay Ridge 6.28
Elmsford 0.8 SSW 6.24
Fordham 6.19
Bellmore 6.12
Kew Garden Hills 6.12
Midtown Manhattan 6.09

Brooklyn 2.4 WSW 8.38 

Herricks 6.17 

Manhasset Hills 6.17

Levittown 6.00

Little Neck 0.3 SE 7.01 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

If Monroe was this bad, then I am sure that the area around Laurelton and Lido Blvd was even worse.

Lido Blvd was horrendous, Laurelton where I grew up surprisingly wasn’t that bad from what I heard but many basements flooded. I grew up near Laurelton/W Fulton. The Dec nor’easter flooding was bad there. 

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

But this rain wasn’t “unprecedented” and we’ll see this again within a few years, so whatever the city has to do in order to prepare, should make that happen. 

Emergency Management needs a pretty significant overhaul, but alas, that is a different discussion.

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Lido Blvd was horrendous, Laurelton where I grew up surprisingly wasn’t that bad from what I heard but many basements flooded. I grew up near Laurelton/W Fulton. The Dec nor’easter flooding was bad there. 

December 92 repeat is our next repeat in my opinion. The type of storm that lasts for days and rearranges beaches. 

• Thanks 1

Friday the day of the storm I left Hudson NY at 2:30PM for my apartment in Douglaston. The lower Taconic Parkway was closed so I just did what the GPS told me to do. It took me east on I-84 to 684 south. Going east on I-84 was the worst part of the trip obviously because I was driving back into some of the heavier bands of rain. I was glad to exit off of I-84 onto 684 South which was still pretty bad but as I got closer to the Hutchinson River Pkway things began to improve. But then of course the Hutchinson River Pkway was flooded and the GPS gave me a tour of Mamaroneck on the way to I-95 south. I-95 south was ok initially taking me towards the Throgs Neck but then traffic and perhaps more flooding prompted the GPS to give me a tour of the South Bronx and take me back over to the Whitestone Bridge. I finally returned to my place at about 5:55pm via the Clearview to 46th Ave 220 St and Northern Boulevard. 

WX/PT

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/27/2023 at 4:48 PM, wdrag said:

Periods of rain, some of it heavy at times is destined for most of the NYC subforum Friday-Saturday as low pressure develops off the mid Atlantic coast into a vertically deep slow moving cyclone. PW increases at times to near 1.7" in warm advection along the inverted trough Friday then the pinwheeling PWAT circles back around our area Saturday. Gusty northeast-east winds  Friday morning to 35 MPH and the constancy of northeast flow this week at the time of the highest tides in Sept should yield at least minor coastal Flooding within 2 hours of high tides Friday and possibly moderate coastal flooding at the highest tide cycle Saturday or Sunday as the backwash of the offshore storm shoots some 45 MPH north-northeast winds down the NJ coast by Sunday morning. 

The previous 3-4 day rains are attached, and the numbers for this coming one may exceed 6" again in parts of the NYC subforum.  If so, where?   It's possible, despite all this projected rain, that flooding might be imited to a few small areas. Too early to be sure as of 447PM/27.

The EPS has been most aggressive with this system since 9/24 cycles and the 12z/27 EPS mean rainfall is attached.  These values are quite high and much higher than the GEFS 12z/27 cycle with the GEPS midway between.  If it causes fresh water flooding---where?  Not sure this will be very much freshwater flooding except possibly NJ/CT/urban LI. 

This topic should serve also for the rainfall reports.

at 505PM added the tag power outages.  If this rainfall develops per the more aggressive 12z/27 EPS mean, rain softened ground from this past weekend combined with new 2+" rainfall may allow spotty power outages due to tree uproots of still fully leaved trees. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 3.31.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 3.39.24 PM.png

The wrap on 10/1: EPS prevailed in the general outlook from prior to 9/27. The mesoscale modeling, especially 12z-18z/28 HRRR and SPC HREF, and at times the RRFS and NAM nailed the potential for 5-10" amounts.  NYC CP #9 wettest 24 hour day in history back to 1869 (5.48") and JFK 8.05 "wettest day in history after records began 1948. Minor coastal flooding occurred for at least one of the daily high tide cycles along the NJ coast from 9/24-10/1 with isolated moderate and certainly beach erosion of varying magnitude.  We survived pretty well, partly because of prior lessons learned in NYC and partly because the primary flooding occurred during the daylight hours. Added two day event totals as a 9/30 sampling of what occurred.  A little more added on Sunday after the two day totals but the essentials are here. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 9.09.09 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

@wdrag New Yorkers angry at the lack of storm notice?? :lol:

It seems like with every storm we always see the same thing "The public is angry about lack of storm notice"

Maybe its just the news media throwing fuel on the fire who knows.

IMG_9523.jpg

They don't listen or pay attention to things like flash flood watch. Also what difference would it have made? You can't stop the subways from flooding or be able to predict such an occurrence 

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

They don't listen or pay attention to things like flash flood watch. Also what difference would it have made? You can't stop the subways from flooding or be able to predict such an occurrence 

Part of the problem is what I mentioned in one of my previous posts about declaring a State of Emergency. Now in this particular case I think it was eventually a good call for the city and areas of SE NY State that were hit hard by the storm but not so much for NJ. The public does not take weather advisories and especially watches and warnings seriously anymore but part of that is because SOE's are being issued for 6-10" snowstorms which is ridiculous unless say the storm is expected to hit coastal communities hard with coastal flooding etc. Then you an SOE should be delcared for the counties that would be impacted the hardest. 

For snow accumulations I don't think an SOE should even be considered unless the storm is expected to produce at least produce 12"+ of snowfall. The public not paying attention to watches and warnings etc. will continue to always be a dilemma for the weather and emergency management community IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, jm1220 said:

This one edges out that Aug 2011 rainfall!  I measured 9.06" in it!

TWC still confuses the Aug 2011 storm with Irene-- they keep saying that JFK's old record is from Irene!

On 9/30/2023 at 9:36 AM, Rjay said:

Valley Stream 9.06
NYC/JFK Airport 8.65
East Rockaway 7.90
Howard Beach 7.86
Bellerose 7.41
South Slope 7.35
CWOP Brooklyn 7.34
OZONE PARK 7.33
CWOP Little Neck 6.91
Prospect Park 6.73
New Rochelle 6.49
Great Neck 6.48
Hewlett 6.34
1 N Bay Ridge 6.28
Elmsford 0.8 SSW 6.24
Fordham 6.19
Bellmore 6.12
Kew Garden Hills 6.12
Midtown Manhattan 6.09

Yes, this was our Jan 2016 of rainstorms!

We jackpotted!

Now all we need is a 10" rainfall to make the record complete lol

On 10/1/2023 at 10:36 AM, wdrag said:

The wrap on 10/1: EPS prevailed in the general outlook from prior to 9/27. The mesoscale modeling, especially 12z-18z/28 HRRR and SPC HREF, and at times the RRFS and NAM nailed the potential for 5-10" amounts.  NYC CP #9 wettest 24 hour day in history back to 1869 (5.48") and JFK 8.05 "wettest day in history after records began 1948. Minor coastal flooding occurred for at least one of the daily high tide cycles along the NJ coast from 9/24-10/1 with isolated moderate and certainly beach erosion of varying magnitude.  We survived pretty well, partly because of prior lessons learned in NYC and partly because the primary flooding occurred during the daylight hours. Added two day event totals as a 9/30 sampling of what occurred.  A little more added on Sunday after the two day totals but the essentials are here. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 9.09.09 AM.png

It was actually over 9" here in SW Nassau, just edging out the old record from Ayg 2011

• Like 1