Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I would say more over-warned in area than in severity. Usually the warning text is pretty accurate for the max expected hail/wind anywhere in the warning, but it's usually such a localized area.

I just don’t understand then I guess. according to both reflectivity and velocity radar I was in the strongest section of the storm where I was. Warren/Morris area at the time. With maybe 15-20mph gusts. 

1 minute ago, WhiteLawns said:

I just don’t understand then I guess. according to both reflectivity and velocity radar I was in the strongest section of the storm where I was. Warren/Morris area at the time. With maybe 15-20mph gusts. 

It's a tough spot for radar coverage. You're talking maybe 4-5000 ft elevation of the lowest radar beam, so there's never a guarantee it's reaching the ground the same way it looks on radar. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I can remember sitting at an intersection in Sea Isle City, NJ during a storm 30 years ago and right across the street a bolt hit a condo and blew back the top of the roof. Went from six to midnight.

It's 67 years ago but still crystal clear.  At (YMCA) Camp Morris in NNJ, we'd had our tent-camping overnight canceled by an oncoming storm, and about 10 PM I was on the stairs that lead from pavement to the gentle slope up toward the cabins.  A pole was right next to the stairs.  Then lightning struck the next pole downhill, perhaps 150 feet distant, and the crash was followed by 3-4 more huge flash-bangs as the transformers feeding the lodge and staff HQ blew up . . . followed by pitch dark and screaming kids running thru the pouring rain.

23 minutes ago, WhiteLawns said:

Even though the lightning map and the radar looked crazy (in Washington Depot near the Morris line) it never really ‘delivered’ here.

24 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a tough spot for radar coverage. You're talking maybe 4-5000 ft elevation of the lowest radar beam, so there's never a guarantee it's reaching the ground the same way it looks on radar. 

That’s my issue too, can’t see over the Spine so it’s hitting 4-5,000ft up… but you see 60kts up there, I can see how as a forecaster you aren’t willing to risk not mixing that down.

Just now, powderfreak said:

That’s my issue too, can’t see over the Spine so it’s hitting 4-5,000ft up… but you see 60kts up there, I can see how as a forecaster you aren’t willing to risk not mixing that down.

It gets wild on a day like today too. Which storm do you deep dive on first? :axe:

Some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen. The drive from the fairgrounds back to our house is only 5 miles and it took 25 minutes.  Street flooding everywhere downtown Greenfield.  
Including the downpour this afternoon I am over 2.5” for the day!  After a brief lol rain is starting up again. The stream down the street from us was raging, I may try and go (safely) check the Green River before it gets dark.

• Like 3