• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rtd208

The next 8 days are averaging   81degs.(72/90) or +5.

Reached 82 here yesterday at 2pm.

Today:   86-90, wind w., few clouds, 74 tomorrow AM.

72*(96%RH) here at 7am{was 69 overnight with TS}.     74* at 8am.      78* at Noon.     84* at 3pm.     86* at 3:30pm.      87* at 4pm.     90* at 5pm.      91* with HI of 96 at 5:30pm.      83*  at 9pm.    81* at 10pm.

73 / 71 and partly cloudy.  Warm and humid today with perhaps an isolated storm upper 80s to low 90s in the warm spots.  Mon (8/14) turning cloudy and trough and front push through later in the evening into Tue (8/15).  Looks like a widespread storms nd rain .  Clears out by Wed (8/16).  Beyond there overall warm with potential heat into next weekend 8/19 and beyond.  GFS bonkers with ridging into the east with a 600 DM ridge into the OV while Euro much further southwest.  Heat potential there for the 8/19 - 8/23 period.  Beyond that will the seasonal tendency break with more prolonged ridging into the EC and trough into the WC  with siustained heat or a middle ground riding an overall warm period with stronger heat to the south.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif  

• Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 103 (2005)
NYC: 99 (2005)
LGA: 100 (2005)

Lows:

EWR: 55 (1950)
NYC: 55 (1930)
LGA: 56 (1979)  - all records lows below 60 from this point on at LGA

Historical:

1831 - A blue sun was widely observed in the southern states. The phenomena was believed to have pre-staged Nat Turner's slave uprising. (David Ludlum)

1831: The Great Barbados Hurricane was an intense Category 4 hurricane that left cataclysmic damage across the Caribbean and Louisiana in 1831. From August 11 through the 13, Bermudians were amazed to see the sun with a decidedly blue appearance, giving off an eerie blue light when it shone into rooms and other enclosed places. Ships at sea as far west as Cape Hatteras reported that "their white sails appeared a light blue colour." A month later it was learned that the astounding blue sunlight had coincided with a terrible hurricane that caused 1,477 people to lose their lives. It was assumed that the hurricane was intensive enough to cause an unusual disturbance in the higher atmospheric strata, and refraction, diffraction or absorption of light rays, to produce the blue reflection. Because the sun appeared bluish-green, Nat Turner took this as the final signal and began a slave rebellion a week later on August 21.

1919 - High winds and heavy rain struck the Middle Atlantic Coast Region. In New Jersey, winds gusted to 60 mph at Atlantic City, and nine inches of rain fell at Tuckerton. The wind and rain leveled crops and stripped trees of fruit causing several million dollars damage. (David Ludlum)

1980 - The afternoon high at New York City was just 89 degrees. But there were fifteen days of 90 degree heat during the month, their hottest August of record. (The Weather Channel)

1985 - Hail larger than golf balls, driven by 70 mph winds, moved down crops, stripped trees, and broke windows, near Logan KS. Road graders cleared three foot drifts of hail on Kansas Highway 9 east of Logan. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thunderstorms deluged the Central Gulf Coast States with torrential rains. Thunderstorms in Mississippi drenched Marion County with up to 15 inches of rain during the morning hours, with 12.2 inches reported at Columbia. Floodwaters swept cars away in the Lakeview subdivision of Columbia when the the Lakeview Dam broke. Flash flooding caused more than three million dollars damage in Marion County. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A dozen cities in the northeastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Lansing MI reported a record 35 days of 90 degree weather for the year, Detroit MI reported a record 37 days of 90 degree heat for the year, and Williamsport PA reported a record 38 days of 90 degree weather for the year. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms developing in a tropical airmass over the northeastern U.S. soaked Connecticut and Massachusetts with four to eight inches of rain over the weekend, between the 11th and 13th of the month. Hartford CT received 7.70 inches of rain. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1991: Stockton, California received 0.05 inch of rainfall on this day. Since 1949, this is the only measured rainfall in Stockton on August 13th.

2014: An official, New York State 24 hour precipitation record was set at Islip, NY on August 12-13 when 13.57" of rain fell. 

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

Captured a crappy shot through the downpour and wind

Screenshot_20230813_040136_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

So it goes down as a non-event and no rain. 

32 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

FYI it’s Rmine1, and yes I did. Lol. Just a bit outside 

Good morning Rjay, Rob, Rmine1. Fine photo, Rjay! You caught that lightening bolt just right. I was up during the event. I sat in the, well lit, dark thinking I was in a B grade 50/60’s horror movie. Most of the rain, Rmine1, at CPK fell in one hour, my aging sycamores, oak, postage stamp and I survived. Stay well everyone, as always ….

IMG_6659.png

• Like 2

1.60” spread across 3 rounds of storms. Booming thunder and frequent lightning, 208 strikes recorded on my lightning detector, far less than reality. The best winds went to my south, it was very meh up here, but still by far the best pure thunderstorm event of the year. Glad I didn’t miss it.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Best storm here since the summer of 2020. Only negative was that it was at 2am. The lightning show was incredible 

I had stronger wind from the storm we got on July 25th, but yeah this was the best lightning show in a few years. Downright spectacular. It was worth it losing sleep. 

• Like 1