• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rtd208

4 hours ago, Allsnow said:

September weather in August for a change…

The dewpoint is 47 here right now. It felt as if I was running outside in late September this afternoon. Invigorating, and it's great that we're gonna have dewpoints in the 40s again tomorrow. Gotta take advantage of this while we have it, so tomorrow I'm going up to Swartswood Park for hiking. After tomorrow we might not see humidity this low again until September. 

• Like 1

Fair and pleasant days coupled with low humidity will continue through Thursday. No significant hot weather appears likely through the first week of August. In fact, the latest ECMWF weeklies show no notable heat through at least the first half of August.

As has often occurred in areas witnessing prolonged sieges of heat in recent years, extreme heat will likely rebuild later in the week in the U.S. Southwest. Cities such as Del Rio, El Paso, Phoenix, and Tucson could approach or reach their August high temperature records.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around July 26. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +3.17°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.05°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer. The probability of an East-based El Niño event has increased.

The SOI was -6.37 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.363 today.

On July 30 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 0.686 (RMM). The July 29-adjusted amplitude was 0.445 (RMM).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

68 currently; projected low of 52. Delightful for August 1. 

I fully expect the triple “H”s back; enjoying this for now. 

Should get into the upper 40s here without too much trouble. Currently 62/54 and tanking. I'd rather have warm nights for another few weeks to keep my gardens rolling.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

This might be the best 4 day mid summer stretch that I've ever experienced. Picture perfect weather for outside activities.

Having been here quite a while it's been a long time since I've experienced as pleasant a stretch of weather in early August as this. Maybe 2014 but I was still receiving chemo and radiation so my memory could be a little blurred. In spite of some of the modeling for later this month which has us in nearer to normal temperatures I do think we will see more hot weather this summer.

WX/PT

• Like 5

Records 8/1

Highs:

EWR: 100 (2006)
NYC: 100 (1933)
LGA: 100 (2006)

Lows:

EWR: 52 (1953)
NYC: 59 (1964)
LGA: 62 (1947)

Historical:

1954 - Mount Rainier in Washington State was still covered with sixteen inches of snow at the 5500 foot level following a big snow season. (David Ludlum)

1983: During the early afternoon hours, a strong microburst swept across Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, D.C.  Although the base anemometer was not calibrated at extreme wind speeds, the peak gust hit 149 mph. It was reported that Air Force One, with President Reagan on board, landed less than 10 minutes before the peak gust.

1985 - A nearly stationary thunderstorm deluged Cheyenne, WY, with rain and hail. Six inches of rain fell in six hours producing the most damaging flash flood of record for the state. Two to five feet of hail covered the ground following the storm, which claimed twelve lives, and caused 65 million dollars property damage. (Storm Data)

1986 - A powerful thunderstorm produced 100 mph winds and large hail in eastern Kansas and southwestern Missouri causing 71 million dollars damage, and injuring nineteen persons. It was one of the worst thunderstorms of record for Kansas. Crops were mowed to the ground in places and roofs blown off buildings along its path, 150 miles long and 30 miles wide, from near Abilene to southeast of Pittsburg. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Record heat gripped parts of the Midwest. A dozen cities reported record high temperatures for the date, including Lincoln, NE, with a reading of 105 degrees, Moline, IL, with an afternoon high of 103 degrees, and Burlington, IA, with a reading of 102 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Two dozen cities in the Upper Midwest reported record high temperatures for the date, including La Crosse WI with a reading of 105 degrees. Highs of 103 degrees at Milwaukee, WI, and South Bend, IN, were records for the month of August. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Hurricane Chantal made landfall along the Upper Texas coast about sunrise. Chantal deluged parts of Galveston Island and southeastern Texas with 8 to 12 inches of rain. Unofficial totals ranged up to twenty inches. Winds gusted to 82 mph at Galveston, and reached 76 mph in the Houston area. Tides were 5 to 7 feet high. The hurricane claimed two lives, and caused 100 million dollars damage. (The National Weather

The next 8 days are averaging  78degs.(70/86) or +1.

Reached 80 here yesterday at 3pm.

Today:   78-82, wind n , few clouds, 65 tomorrow AM.

68*(56%RH) at 7am{was 67 earlier}.    71* at 9am.      73* at 10am.       74* Noon to 2pm.       78* at 4pm.       Reached 80* at 5pm-6pm.     77* at 7pm.

67 / 55 off a low of 56.  Another gorgeous low humidity, sunny day on tap.  A bit warmer than yesterday but mostly low / mid 80s.   Thu (8/3) transition to a more humid flow and with it warmer and storm chances, especially later Thu into Friday and again Fri PM.  The western ridge shift back west ping pong between Dallas / PHX with trough into the GL/NE.  The western Atlantic Ridge is pushed back east through the middle of next week.  There is a surge of heat pressing east from the western ridge in the Mon (8/7) - Thu (8/10) timeframe with the next shot at 90s.  Overall warmer starting Thu, humid and more storm chances.

Longer range the W. At Ridge is building west with the troug forced west into the GL and heights rising into the ec by mid month which could sustsin for a much warmer - hot period of the rest of the month.  Humid, warm - hot  storm chances and tropics to be watches into the SE/GOM.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Having been here quite a while it's been a long time since I've experienced as pleasant a stretch of weather in early August as this. Maybe 2014 but I was still receiving chemo and radiation so my memory could be a little blurred. In spite of some of the modeling for later this month which has us in nearer to normal temperatures I do think we will see more hot weather this summer.

WX/PT

Hot weather by mid August onward doesn't feel quite as bad vs June/July due to weaker sun. 

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 100 (2006)
NYC: 100 (1955)
LGA: 102 (2006)

Lows:

EWR: 53 (1940)
NYC: 57 (1875)
LGA: 59 (1953)

Historical:

1954 - Severe thunderstorms produced golf ball size hail for thirty minutes in north central Kansas. One drift measured 200 feet long, seventy feet wide and three feet deep. (The Weather Channel)

1975 - Record heat gripped New England. Highs of 104 degrees at Providence, RI, and 107 degrees at Chester and New Bedford, MA, established state records. The heat along the coast of Maine was unprecedented, with afternoon highs of 101 degrees at Bar Harbor and 104 degrees at Jonesboro. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Hot weather continued in the central U.S. Fifteen cities reported record high temperatures for the date, including Concordia KS with a reading of 106 degrees, and Downtown Kansas City, MO, with a high of 105 degrees. Evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in the Ohio Valley and the north central U.S. Thunder- storms in South Dakota produced wind gusts to 70 mph at Philip, and hail two inches in diameter at Faulkton. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Searing heat continued from the Middle and Upper Mississippi Valley to the Middle and Northern Atlantic Coast States. Twenty- six cities reported record high temperatures for the date. Chicago IL reported a record seven days of 100 degree heat for the year. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Low pressure representing the remains of Hurricane Chantal deluged north central Texas with heavy rain. Up to 6.50 inches drenched Stephens County, and Wichita Falls reported 2.22 inches of rain in just one hour. Bismarck, ND, reported a record warm morning low of 75 degrees, and record hot afternoon high of 101 degrees, and evening thunderstorms in North Dakota produced wind gusts to 78 mph at Lakota. Early evening thunderstorms in Florida produced high winds which downed trees at Christmas. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

• Like 1

No days reaching 90° at Newark during the first week of August since 1991 has resulted in only 1-7 days reaching 90° for the whole month.

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Highest Max Temperature Aug 1 to Aug 7
90° days for August
  2023-08-07 84 ?
  1996-08-07 85 1
  2013-08-07 87 3
  2003-08-07 87 7
  1992-08-07 87 4
  2014-08-07 89 2
  2004-08-07 89 2
  1998-08-07 89 7
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, BucksCO_PA said:

36 degrees in Saranac Lake, NY this morning. Coldest for the date since the record low of 34 in 1959.

That has been their average August monthly low since 2010.

Monthly Lowest Min Temperature for Saranac Lake Area, NY (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Aug
Season
Mean 36 36
2023 36 36
2022 37 37
2021 37 37
2020 37 37
2019 35 35
2018 36 36
2017 32 32
2016 37 37