• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rtd208

Idk if it's on the radar yet since higher end patterns for severe weather in the east are not necessarily common, but holy moly at the 00z Euro for Monday.

Sub 1000 mb low pressure over the northeast is impressive for early August, let alone May or June. And 70+ dew points were forecast up to I-90 during the afternoon and evening, amidst strongly supportive low level and deep layer wind shear. The 12z GFS is honestly not too far off from that.

I'm originally from College Point in Queens, worked at OKX from Feb 2009 until July 2010 and been at NWS Chicago ever since. I'll be visiting my family Friday the 4th to Friday the 11th and staying in CP, so I'll be there on Monday if that setup holds.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Idk if it's on the radar yet since higher end patterns for severe weather in the east are not necessarily common, but holy moly at the 00z Euro for Monday.

Sub 1000 mb low pressure over the northeast is impressive for early August, let alone May or June. And 70+ dew points were forecast up to I-90 during the afternoon and evening, amidst strongly supportive low level and deep layer wind shear. The 12z GFS is honestly not too far off from that.

I'm originally from College Point in Queens, worked at OKX from Feb 2009 until July 2010 and been at NWS Chicago ever since. I'll be visiting my family Friday the 4th to Friday the 11th and staying in CP, so I'll be there on Monday if that setup holds.

Quick note on 12z Euro: It slowed down enough and tracked farther north with 500 mb low and surface low to maybe keep most of Monday out of the game threat wise for NYC metro and bring in Tuesday as the day. Lots of time to watch this and certainly could end up as no big deal. Pieces could potentially come into place though.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes all the models showing strong low pressure moving across the upper Great Lakes to a position north of Maine early next week dragging with it a strong cold front which could initiate a severe weather threat August 7th-9th across most of the northeast. Behind that high pressure which is initially on the cool side builds in but the longer range models/ensembles show how WAR swallows that HP system up and back builds a heat and humidity pump around it for mid August.

WX/PT 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Yes all the models showing strong low pressure moving across the upper Great Lakes to a position north of Maine early next week dragging with it a strong cold front which could initiate a severe weather threat August 7th-9th across most of the northeast. Behind that high pressure which is initially on the cool side builds in but the longer range models/ensembles show how WAR swallows that HP system up and back builds a heat and humidity pump around it for mid August.

WX/PT 

Euro now showing a second low pressure accompanied by another cold front possibly delaying the heat/humidity from 8/14 to 8/16. Just ahead of that front it appears we could see a day of warmth possibly heat and humidity on the 12th.

WX/PT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Euro cut back on rainfall…

The southern stream low is less phased with the northern stream so the deeper moisture from the south stays separate this run. The OP Euro can sometimes be overamped. Now looks like a regular frontal passage with the typical scattered convection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Where did summer go?! Not liking this. Going to the Catskills Saturday. A high of 73?! September vibes.

(Sorry for the double post in July thread. Tapatalk app won’t let me delete it)

Sounds ideal to me. Don’t forget to stop by BWBev before you leave! 

• Like 2

The day started with unseasonably cool readings. Low temperatures included:

Bridgeport: 59°
Danbury: 51°
Islip: 61°
New Haven: 59°
New York City: 64°
Newark: 63°
Philadelphia: 63°
Poughkeepsie: 51°

Afterward, the mercury rose into the upper 70s and lower 80s.

Fair and pleasant days coupled with low humidity will continue through tomorrow. Showers and thundershowers are likely on Friday. No significant hot weather appears likely through the first week of August. In fact, the latest ECMWF weeklies show no notable heat through at least the first half of August.

As has often occurred in areas witnessing prolonged sieges of heat in recent years, extreme heat will likely rebuild later in the week in the U.S. Southwest. Cities such as Del Rio, El Paso, Phoenix, and Tucson could approach or reach their August high temperature records. Already, Phoenix topped out at 111° today and Del Rio has begun its unprecedented third extreme heat event (Clarke et al., 2014 methodology) of the year.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around July 26. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +3.17°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.05°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer. The probability of an East-based El Niño event has increased.

The SOI was -6.37 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.611 today.

On July 31 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 0.686 (RMM). The July 30-adjusted amplitude was 0.686 (RMM).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Where did summer go?! Not liking this. Going to the Catskills Saturday. A high of 73?! September vibes.

(Sorry for the double post in July thread. Tapatalk app won’t let me delete it)

After last week's humidity I'd take in a heartbeat. And we all know it'll be back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think we avoid a lot of the big time heat but holy moly I've never seen such a heat dome as the one the GFS showed out west in the long range (widespread 600dms with 603+)

Really hope that's just a fluke. 

I know last summer was hot here, but it seems the past few years we’ve avoided the truly record breaking, insane heat yes?

Thinking back to the June 2021 Pac NW heat dome as well. I know we had multiple 100 days last summer, but I don’t recall a truly sustained ‘giga heatwave’ around here recently, just our usual ‘NYC Metro Swampass Special.’

Is that more because dews cap the top end heat, or have we not had the sustained high heights pattern that would build a traditional heat dome here yet? I’m sure our time is coming if it’s the latter. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I know last summer was hot here, but it seems the past few years we’ve avoided the truly record breaking, insane heat yes?

Thinking back to the June 2021 Pac NW heat dome as well. I know we had multiple 100 days last summer, but I don’t recall a truly sustained ‘giga heatwave’ around here recently, just our usual ‘NYC Metro Swampass Special.’

Is that more because dews cap the top end heat, or have we not had the sustained high heights pattern that would build a traditional heat dome here yet? I’m sure our time is coming if it’s the latter. 

The one common denominator to extreme heat events like the PAC NW heat dome was drought feedback. We have been very wet over the last decade. So we haven’t been able to challenge the near to all-time record highs set back in 2010-2011 when droughts were present from the Plains to the East Coast. A PAC NW magnitude event for our area would mean our first 110°+ reading. So luckily, we haven’t had that type or drought here since the 1960s. But we have made up for it with much higher dewpoints and consistent very high 90° day count years. 

Data for January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2011
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
Newark Area ThreadEx 108
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 108
CANOE BROOK COOP 107
HARRISON COOP 107
Trenton Area ThreadEx 106
TRENTON-MERCER AIRPORT WBAN 106
RINGWOOD COOP 106
SOMERDALE 4 SW COOP 106
Atlantic City Area ThreadEx 105
WRIGHTSTOWN COOP 105
New Brunswick Area ThreadEx 105
ATLANTIC CITY INTL AP WBAN 105
NEW BRUNSWICK 3 SE COOP 105
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 104
TETERBORO AIRPORT COOP 104
PENNSAUKEN 1N COOP 104
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 104
BOUND BROOK 2W COOP 104
PLAINFIELD COOP 104
CRANFORD COOP 104
TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 104
SOUTH JERSEY REGIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 104

Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
MINEOLA COOP 108
WANTAGH CEDAR CREEK COOP 107
MOLLOY CERCOM COOP 105
CHEMUNG COOP 104
ELMIRA CORNING REGIONAL AP WBAN 104
GLENS FALLS FARM COOP 104
LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 104
NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 104
New York-LGA Area ThreadEx 104
New York-Central Park Area ThreadEx 104
RHINEBECK 4SE COOP 104

Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NORRISTOWN COOP 108
Reading Area ThreadEx 106
READING REGIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 106
LEWISTOWN COOP 106
STEVENSON DAM COOP 106
LOCK HAVEN SEWAGE PLANT COOP 105
RENOVO COOP 105
MILLHEIM COOP 105
NEW CASTLE 1 N COOP 105