Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

9 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

ocmd has been great all week. highs in low to mid 80s until today..hit 90 but there was a stiff breeze so it still felt fine. 

ocean temp in the low 70s, feels great and no jellys. i remember growing up having to dodge jellyfish on the regular. Anyone know what happened to them, not that i am missing them.

feel like they show up more in August

• Like 1

it's nice that the Metro stations all have A/C so you don't come close to death waiting on the platform, but man tonight you feel it stepping out onto the street.  In NY even on the hottest nights there was a slight relief walking out of a subway station because the station temps would be well over 100F.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

WTF is it CVA is ground zero for every GD thunderstorm?

I keep saying that... I live in Waynesboro,  prior to tonight only .17 in about 10 days  - but work in Charlottesville and its a dam deluge somewhere in or around that city at least 4 days a week..

27 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Still 82 here… The trend I keep noticing in this region in recent years is that we just don’t cool off at night anymore. That’s how BWI got hottest month ever in July 2020 despite no record highs. Same idea.

I think part of that is the expansion of the UHI, but part of it is that our summer nights are becoming more humid.  To our south, overnight lows in the 70s are routine even in rural areas bc the dewpoint stays above 70.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Mesoscale forecasting is a P.I.T.A. It's nice to have CAMs, but they don't see to handle initiation well in this part of the country.

Agreed. Though...they do seem to do well once storms are already formed. the problem is....in this DC/Baltimore area - this typically is a 1-3 hour window and by the time the models fully "see" the real picture - the storms are either overhead or even east of us already :lol: 

It's often a case where our jokes like "It will get it right 2 days after the storm" kind of are correct. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Lots of complaints about a day or two with highs in the 90s. Folks are getting spoiled by the lack of big heat, which is a pretty common thing around here in the summer.

And ensembles keep a trough over us in the means for the next 2 weeks. Seasonable heat? Sure. But no sign of any persistent mid-upper 90s kinda Bermuda high. If we can get through mid-august without that, climatology starts working in our favor.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

And ensembles keep a trough over us in the means for the next 2 weeks. Seasonable heat? Sure. But no sign of any persistent mid-upper 90s kinda Bermuda high. If we can get through mid-august without that, climatology starts working in our favor.

Exactly. There's no way in hell we escape a summer without heat at some point, but to keep from going 98/77 or worse for an extended period is a win.

Of course, we can get well into the 90s in September, but that's usually short-lived and a drier stuff than the soup we can get in the summer.

• Like 2

I’m personally enjoying the feeling of typical dmv summer. Then again, part of that is because it makes for ideal basketball weather. For biking, I do generally prefer 60-80 and drier. My biggest gripe is that the cooler air masses tend to result in more clouds around here and a thorny nw breeze.

Obs…seeing some storms to the west, but tbd on how well they hold together with several ridges to pass en route to the rt15 corridor.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic