Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

9 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

some breaks in the clouds  smoke working south slowly

vis_nj_anim.gif 

Unfortunately if you look at the aqi charts they aren’t improving in the areas it looks like it should be on the satellite. 

edit: Albany, Kingston, Copake are all in 200+ to 300+

38 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Unfortunately if you look at the aqi charts they aren’t improving in the areas it looks like it should be on the satellite. 

edit: Albany, Kingston, Copake are all in 200+ to 300+

Yeah, it is a little less thick but aqi is still upper 300s to mid 400s in around 5 boros. A lot of it isn't visible anyway.

• Thanks 1

Most of the Quebec fires are well to the north of the populated parts of the province and the road network so they have to be fought by crews dropped into the region by air. I believe there are almost a thousand firefighters on the job but this situation has built up over several weeks and a very large area of low-grade forest is now involved. I would think the fires might be more controlled by future rainfalls than any human efforts, these fires are too widespread and remote for human efforts to be fully effective. It is normally quite a wet region in summer so fingers crossed that the blocking patterns recede.

Causes include the long dry spell in spring, scattered lightning strikes, and unfortunately arson cannot be ruled out in all cases. Arson seems to be a suspect in about 10-25% of wildfires across N America nowadays, motives include seeking work on fire crews, dramatizing climate change, and mental illness problems. An Alberta woman was recently convicted of arson related to 54 fires that she apparently started in central Alberta in 2021. It doesn't take much when the weather has been hot and dry for weeks, and 2021 had the heat dome. I don't suspect much campfire spread or train track sparking behind these Quebec fires, as those potential causes would be confined to the southern margins of the fire zone. Butts tossed out a window start as many fires as lightning apparently. Many Canadians suspect the 2016 Fort Mac fires were deliberately set, if not, they had a human cause as the origin was traced back to a campsite west of Fort McMurray and there had been no lightning (those fires began around April 29-30th).

Meanwhile parts of western Canada have seen some improvement in their fire situations, thanks to rainfalls and suppression, once again a lot of the Alberta fires were well north of the population grid and mostly well away from roads. Locally our air quality is good because so far there are very few fires in the Pac NW states and we have a southerly air flow here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Barclays Center just postponed the Liberty Women's basketball game tonight because the whole arena is full of smoke.

Yankee game just got postponed to tomorrow.

Yankees I get but the Barclays is full of smoke is weird.  Someone didn't put the A/C to recirculate?

An cautionary tale of improvement here.  The smoke smell isn't as strong, and the sun is warmer than it has been all day.  I just reached my high of 66 for the day.  

It looks like AQI values to the north and west of the area are lower than they were earlier this afternoon.  So hopefully that "fresher" air is moving in.

20 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

This is nasty.  On the flip side, it's really cool to see on satellite images how the smoke is suppressing convection. 

Feels like a fall day with how it keeps out the insolation. You can see where it starts to get better just by where the cumulus starts to bubble again to the north. 

6 minutes ago, Picard said:

An cautionary tale of improvement here.  The smoke smell isn't as strong, and the sun is warmer than it has been all day.  I just reached my high of 66 for the day.  

It looks like AQI values to the north and west of the area are lower than they were earlier this afternoon.  So hopefully that "fresher" air is moving in.

Nasty plume of smoke flying through NE PA in your direction. Its not even close to being over.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nasty plume of smoke flying through NE PA in your direction. Its not even close to being over.

Oh I don't think it's over.  But if I can stay in that flow coming down the western catskills, I'll drop a shade or two of red.  Small victories.

It looks like the absolute worst at the moment rides the turnpike south from NY to Philly.

The so-called Dark Day in New England, NY state and NJ, was probably caused by forest fire smoke. It was May 19 into May 20, 1780. (1780 also had a very severe hurricane season in the Caribbean) ...

Quote from an observer in NJ ...

We were here [New Jersey] at the time the “dark day” happened, (19th of May;) it has been said that the darkness was not so great in New-Jersey as in New-England. How great it was there I do not know, but I know that it was very dark where I then was in New-Jersey; so much so that the fowls went to their roosts, the cocks crew and the whip-poor-wills sung their usual serenade; the people had to light candles in their houses to enable them to see to carry on their usual business; the night was as uncommonly dark as the day was.

(he may have been referring to the absence of moonlight around a full moon) 

Reports stated that the darkness did not occur in PA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

The so-called Dark Day in New England, NY state and NJ, was probably caused by forest fire smoke. It was May 19 into May 20, 1780. (1780 also had a very severe hurricane season in the Caribbean) ...

Quote from an observer in NJ ...

We were here [New Jersey] at the time the “dark day” happened, (19th of May;) it has been said that the darkness was not so great in New-Jersey as in New-England. How great it was there I do not know, but I know that it was very dark where I then was in New-Jersey; so much so that the fowls went to their roosts, the cocks crew and the whip-poor-wills sung their usual serenade; the people had to light candles in their houses to enable them to see to carry on their usual business; the night was as uncommonly dark as the day was.

(he may have been referring to the absence of moonlight around a full moon) 

Reports stated that the darkness did not occur in PA. 

Don't forget the West Virginia forest fires of 1987 which caused breathing difficulties in the NYC area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1