Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Today felt really nice. Was good to get outside. 

Good three mile walk via headlamp with the dog this evening on the groomed path out back into town and back.

30F feels like hoodie weather.  It’s crazy how mild it feels.  50+ degree rise will do that I guess.

First time she’s really been out for more than 1-2 min at a time in past 2-3 days.

084DD0BA-C4AB-44EA-ACCD-BB75AC96E9C4.jpeg.4e0a967c2dd95df1f3edd5c4381d6aea.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

The ones with no snow, Its a coping mechanism.

Def better than bare ground and frigid. I’ll take the mild wx this week over the weekend weather. 

I liked the quick arctic shot to try and get some records but no need for that shit to hang around more than a day or two. 

Hopefully 2/12 trends better. I’ll always root for snow but I’m not a masochist. I won’t root for arctic cold with no snow. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Who the hell wants warmth this early ? Bunch fo weirdos.

What the hell are you going to do with a cold frozen brown/green landscape?? I love snow more than anyone but might as well get out and be productive and not tortured in February. December different story, but spring is like 6 weeks away might as well be mild if it’s not snowing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Def better than bare ground and frigid. I’ll take the mild wx this week over the weekend weather. 

I liked the quick arctic shot to try and get some records but no need for that shit to hang around more than a day or two. 

Hopefully 2/12 trends better. I’ll always root for snow but I’m not a masochist. I won’t root for arctic cold with no snow. 

After riding on a few ponds and Rangely Lake this weekend dealing with slush, We need more cold to tighten things up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't want Arctic cold but a week of below normal I can handle. It would be nice to get some ice to go fishing. Kind of depressing to go whole year without.

27 minutes ago, dryslot said:

After riding on a few ponds and Rangely Lake this weekend dealing with slush, We need more cold to tighten things up.

20 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I don't want Arctic cold but a week of below normal I can handle. It would be nice to get some ice to go fishing. Kind of depressing to go whole year without.

Yeah I’m not opposed in principle, but by the time this current mild spell this week wanes (at least to an atmosphere that can support snow), we’re getting into mid-February and it’s getting pretty late to freeze everything into mid-winter form. Up in Rangeley it’s not that late but down here if you have open water in mid-February, it’s pretty hard to bring that back to weeks of ice. You’d need like a solid 5-7 day cold snap and then no torches right after it. 

Unfortunately that type of look is not in the cards. We may get a snow threat or two but the temps look to run pretty mild…maybe a flip later in the month.  But this SE ridge is pretty robust, so the more pragmatic side of me says I’d rather just mail it in at this point instead of hoping for cold/snow that is going to be tough to come by. 

We’ll still get a few snow threats. My aim at this point is to root for us running into a big dog late this month or early March and then call it a season. I’ve given up on the pack and pond ice fetish until next year. I did get out on the ice today with the boys and it was great. Not cold but 4-5” thick black ice on the local pond. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The ones with no snow, Its a coping mechanism.

Nah see above. It was a great day. Nothing in the cards coming up, so keep the nice wx coming if it can’t snow. 

I’ll always cheer snow on if it looks imminent, but for now…ain’t complaining about 50. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah see above. It was a great day. Nothing in the cards coming up, so keep the nice wx coming if it can’t snow. 

I’ll always cheer snow on if it looks imminent, but for now…ain’t complaining about 50. 

They’re where we were a month or more ago . Reality setting in, but still trying to fight it. Totally normal 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I love snow and winter but I won’t root for more than a day or two of that type of cold regardless of ground cover, ha.

I always go for weather that makes people want to be outside and that just doesn’t hit the note.  It’s novelty runs out fast. That duration was perfect for a record arctic blast.

Speaking of wanting to be outside, also completely get the snowless zones desire for nice weather. That gets folks outside.  Mentally and physically, it’s healthy to be outdoors.  I’m all in on that stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

What the hell are you going to do with a cold frozen brown/green landscape?? I love snow more than anyone but might as well get out and be productive and not tortured in February. December different story, but spring is like 6 weeks away might as well be mild if it’s not snowing. 

e4e627_a04ed133fed849dfa24aaa551732bd24_mv2.gif

• Haha 3